Yuuki Spencer

So before i begin i will say this is not aimed at an erroneous comment or the person who made it.

This is me just trying to get a discussion started about the guy and see what people think.

So Yuuki Spencer.

some people claim that he is the greatest person that has ever thrown a piece of materiel attached to a string.
We first really got our first look at him in 2002
his worlds freestyle shown here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV9HEDOjr9E

recently he was picked up by clyw to be a team member in probably the biggest company pick of this year.

what do you think about Yuuki his style and does he still have what it takes to beat the snot out of any other player…

This was really my first intro to yuuki, at the time this was when I was really getting into yo-yoing and this freestyle was a big deal.

Stumbling across his instagram recently has also been a huge joy, I was pretty bummed when I thought he was kinda done with it all a few years ago.
He has real style!

that video was strange. I felt like it was being fast forwarded throughout the entire video.

watching it now the frame rate is off on the video… doesnt ruin the video though…

At first I thought he was just another yoyoer but after talking to him and learning a few tricks from him, I found that he was a really innovative yoyoer even today. He may not necessarily be the best (everyone has their own opinions ;D) but he is definitely up there among the most innovative.

He def is different, but he isnt everything that people hype him up to be.

That is subjective. …greatest/best/better/whatever yoyoer is always just going to be an opinion, different for different people, and neither right nor wrong.

I have respect for the experience, skill, creativity, and knowledge of yoyoing that he has.

Who cares… What does it mean if he does? …does it make him a better yoyoer? …or better at yoyoing than someone else? …No.

You’re quite the controversial type, aren’t ya’?

Of course superlatives are generally subjective, but he didn’t say “Yuuki is the best,” he said “some people say Yuuki is the best,” thus rendering your criticism of his statement both void and unnecessary. Ironically, you go on to make a quite subjective statement yourself in saying that being able to beat the snot out of any other yo-yoer does not make him better at yo-yoing than someone else. This is the type of subjective statement which you just tried to debunk in your first sentence.

Yuuki does definitely have what it takes to still beat the snot out of most yo-yoers. This is just flat out truth. There is no dispute here. Clearly, Yuuki, CLYW and associates, and anyone who is a fan of Yuuki would care. It means that he’s a better yo-yoer. It does not make him a better yo-yoer, but having grown to be one of the best yo-yoers by hard work and perseverance, he has just happened to become a better yo-yoer.

To say that Yuuki is not better at yo-yoing than the average Joe yo-yoer is an incredibly ignorant and devil’s advocate-esque thing to say. In being able to beat the snot out of most yo-yoers, he is obviously better at yo-yoing than most everybody else. To beat is to win, to best. To best is to be better. Ergo, anybody is better than anybody else at yo-yoing by beating them at it.

It’s simple, really, and I’ve grown quite irritable with those who question obvious truths for the sake of argument alone.

I assume you have all seen this, but I will also assume that some of you have not. I, for one am a fan of Yuuki. Ive not been in the scene long, but I feel like Ive known his name for a long time. I consider him an OG for that reason, at least to me.

When I think of Yuuki Spencer. I think about one of the most innovative and consistent contest freestylers of all time.
Yuuki has always had a very unique approach to trick construction, and it has resulted in a very fluid and technical style, that is set apart I feel from all other yoyo players of today. I can say that I see many players today who’s style has many similarities to other players. Where as throughout the years, I have not seen anyone who really had anything close to Yuuki’s style and trick construction and concepts.
This is something very special I feel, and something that truly makes him one of the greatest 1A players of all time.

1 Like

Hey, Owen. :slight_smile: I think we have a misunderstanding. Let me try to explain.

I know he didn’t say “Yuuki is the best”, and that he was saying “some people say Yuuki is the best”. My comment was directed at the “some people [who might] say that Yuuki [or anybody] is the best”, and NOT at alecto. So, another way to word what I intended to convey would be: If someone claimed that Yuuki, or anyone, is the greatest yoyoer ever, that statement would be an opinion. Opinions are subjective. Opinions are not fact, and can differ from person to person. So, the merit of such a statement should be weighed with that in my mind.

When I say “who cares” if Yuuki has “what it takes to beat the snot out of any other player”, I mean “I don’t care” as in “it doesn’t matter to me” as in “who would care about that? …because the idea of caring about such a thing seems so foreign to me”. I “don’t care” because regardless of the fact that some judges concluded that a certain person, on a certain day, in a particular moment, while meeting a certain criteria was a “better” yoyoer, I don’t believe it makes them “better”. That “achievement” would mean very little to me. However, others may indeed care, and that is OKAY. The desire of someone to “beat the snot out of” someone else in yoyoing is equally as foreign to me. That is not what yoyoing is about to me, at all. If that is important to someone else in their yoyoing, that is OKAY.

What makes a yoyoer “better” than another? …is it their ability to place higher in competition(s)? …is it their experience and skill? …is it because the majority agrees that it is so?

…Is Yuuki a “better” yoyoer than “the average joe yoyoer” if the “better” yoyoer is thought of as the one having the most fun?

Peoples’ ideas of what it means to be “better” can be different.

To say anyone or anything is “better” than anyone or anything else, for any reason, is an opinion. It is subjective. And that, is a fact.

“Better” is in the eye of the beholder.

And furthermore, I believe yoyoing is in the eye of the beholder. My path in yoyoing is a personal one.

I have my view of what yoyoing is. …and it may be different from your view of what yoyoing is. …and that is OKAY. …but I am certainly entitled to my OPINION of what yoyoing is. …and if you don’t agree, that is OKAY… I do not believe it is possible to “best” anyone, or “beat” anyone, in yoyoing. Yoyoing is not something you “win” at. …or out-do someone at.

In my world… Yoyoing is art.

These are my personal beliefs. These are my opinions. I do not wish to force them on anyone …or imply that they are in some way superior. I only wished to express them. …and thanks for reminding me(not sarcasm, literally, thank you) that doing so on here is waste of time. …time better spent doing something more productive …like yoyoing.

Anyway, sorry if you were offended. Communicating merely through text is a poor platform for relation of thought, especially between strangers. <3

There is an old saying about Yuuki Spencer:

“If he chooses to, he can win worlds”.

That was said many years ago. When he actually has the will, the focus, and the challenge in order to win, he can. This is quite frankly no joke, infact its almost scary. Yuuki happens to be one of the most gifted individuals with a yoyo. However just like any others, he has doubts. He often conflicts himself stating he is old and washedout.

I do say however that the many current generation of throwers can possibly equal to Yuuki’s skill level. I point to Zach Gormley specifically.

~Zammy

3 Likes

I find it truly fascinating that the only people chiming into this thread with bad things to say about Yuuki, are people that will Most likely Never be half as good as Yuuki is.

Which makes the whole idea of using Yuuki for ‘target practice’ even more preposterous.

Great players Never direct insults towards other great players.

Only the jealous and disrespectful ignorant villagers are bold enough to talk trash about such an Amazingly talented yoyo player.

In the last few years Yuuki has been distracted by several other things that life confronts most folks with as they get older.

I have no doubt there are more than a few players that have won various Yoyo Contests; that if they were to give an acceptance speech as they were handed their Winning Contest trophy, would have said, ‘I would like to thank my friends for encouraging me. My parents for helping me out financially. My sponsors for hooking me up. My team mates for helping me get my tricks down. And last but not least I would seriously like to thank Yuuki Spencer for not competing against me’. Lol

Talking trash about Yuuki is about as productive as trying to melt down a metal statue with a garden hose.

Yuuki is Hard Core.

Deal with it.

5 Likes

What does his shirt say after “Mathematics”?

Rust…

He definitely has the tricks, but I do not know if he has enough to beat players like Zach and Gentry.

i don’t know how many of you guys have tried to learn even the easier yuuki tricks, but they are no where close to being easy. Gormely has only done one yuuki trick in the cabin tutorials and just ask him how hard that one was.

Yuuki’s tricks are very deceiving he does them with such skills and ease that they look simple. In reality its like trying to pogo with a sledgehammer.

most of yuuki’s tricks require a precision that is above what most players are at. Not saying his tricks are impossible ive learned a few over the years. They are just ridiculously hard to master.

Now comparing Gormely to yuuki… those two players are different beasts all together. Gormely uses a pretty long string and from what ive seen of yuuki he uses a shorter string then most people. Yuuki so Gentry… I don’t even think you can compare the two in the same room if they were wearing the exact same clothes. But i will say this Yuuki tricks are harder then Gentry tricks… Gentry is pretty repetitive to me he scores alot on the string hits and performance wise but if you take that away there isn’t much he has to offer. Yuuki on the other hand is very technical and to me just does quite a bit more with his yoyo then Gentry does but does hit it quite as high as gentry does with string hits.

In a banger contest Gormely and Gentry would not have a chance against Yuuki and his level of skill. Thats just my opinion though…

Having learnt Aces High and Berserker, and most recently Soiled Panties, I have to agree that Yuuki’s tricks are on another level. All of those tricks looked deceptively easy, but even getting Berserker down to a 20% miss rate took a week or more of consistent practice.

Or maybe I’m just terrible.

Yuuki is the whetstone of us all. Period. I do not think there is any other yoyoer who has had more of an influence than him. Regens? He made them cool again. Cross armed trapeze? He invented it.

I remember seeing this video way back when, and still to this day it has a HUGE influence on my trick composition.

Taken from CLYW’s website:

2014 44Clash – 1A – 3rd
2014 800 YoYo Class Vol. 23 – 1A – 1st
2012 Pacific Northwest Regionals – 2A – 1st
2012 VA State YoYoContest – 1A – 1st
2012 California State YoYo Contest – 1A – 1st
2010 US National Yo-Yo Contest – 1A – 5th
2010 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 4th
2010 Bay Area Classic – 1A – 2nd
2009 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 1st
2008 Bay Area Classic – 1A – 1st
2007 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 1st
2007 US National Yo-yo Contest – 4A – 5th
2007 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 1st
2007 Bay Area Classic – 1A – 1st
2006 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 4th
2006 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 6th
2006 Bay Area Classic – 1A – 3rd
2005 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 1st
2005 US National Yo-yo Contest – 2A – 7th
2005 US National Yo-yo Contest – 4A – 3rd
2005 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 2nd
2004 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 4th
2004 Bay Area Classic – 1A – 1st
2004 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 3rd
2003 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 2nd
2003 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 4th
2002 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 3rd
2002 World Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 1st
2001 US National Yo-yo Contest – 1A – 3rd

2 Likes

he has a lot of years on those guys… But if comes down to straight who’s better at yoyoing, I know who id pick.