YoYoRecreation Appreciation Thread

Nice photos. What did you use as the backdrop?
I have a Sleipnir, e=mc2 and an Overdrive coming on by Friday and I can’t wait to get them up to speed!
Time to see how much the Draupnir has improved over the Sleipnir.

You’ll love the Sleipnir. It’s one of the finest yoyos ever made. Plays like a Draupnir with a little bit more oomph behind it. Absolutely goes for broke on the speed stakes too.

Yuki

I don’t have a Gleipnir or Sleipnir, but I LOVE my attune. So this only makes me more excited about the Draupnir. I can’t wait 'til they do a colored run.

Are they raw or clear anodized?

They are raw.

Raw. But take good care of it though.
I had a knucklehead of a friend who has sweaty palms and never bothers to wipe his Draupnir clean after play.
Just about a week after he received his, the body had already started to develop a thin layer of oxidisation.

Silica gel is always a good friend. And a lint-free cloth. Maybe gloves, too. And Mother’s polish.

I’m just gonna wait for an anodized one for this reason in part.

I personally do not care so much about the color as much as I do care about availability. I think that the lack of Draupnir availability is starting to border on the ridiculous. How about making some yo-yo’s?

Yoyorecreation: What is the holdup? The Draupnir has had PLENTY of time for production and distribution to retailers (if that will indeed happen); so why is it that the Draupnir is still not available in quantities that will satisfy the market?

I think that these production delays between product announcement and actual availability are starting to appear as though Yoyorecreation is no longer a serious brand (Dazzler anyone???). What good is a fabulous, new, game-changing yoyo when nobody can get one?

Getting REALLY tired of constantly checking the site… >:(

Draupnir’s been in tons of Japanese and Asian stores. Not to mention last time they were on the site they seemed to stay in stock for a while. I do agree that it’s confusing how they went from producing 20+ different yoyos in sufficient quantities for the most part, to only making, as far as we can tell, 1-2 yoyos and not being able to keep up with demand. Either tons of Draupnir demand, which is true, or they’ve slowed down production, also probably true. The Draupnir is certainly more labor intensive to produce, and from the production videos it seems to be made in a pretty high quality, low-output setting. Anyway here’s the best trick for snagging that yoyo you want when it comes in stock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-monitor/pemhgklkefakciniebenbfclihhmmfcd?hl=en Google Chrome Page Monitor is awesome. I set it to monitor YYR’s site every minute and the minute something changes it alerts me, also great for tons of other hobbies when it comes to getting that new release or just in stock item. Sent you a PM, hope it works out for you.

3 Likes

Yeah, it does look like they will be releasing some silver/colored-rims models very soon. I am not sure that some colored rings are worth +$20 though. Why not make a larger run with multiple colors (red, blue, yellow, purple…)?

My problem is that YYR appears to be making only small amounts of their new throws. I do not think that it is good practice to only bring a model to market in dribs and drabs. While it may create some sense of scarcity in the short-run, the long-term result will be overall market exhaustion.

I’m hoping the reason for the smaller production runs is that they’ve got the cash flow tied up elsewhere developing more throws or something.

That is quite possible. I remember talking with the guys from OneDrop about the production costs of the second-run Sovereign. Titanium stock is super expensive.

I hope that this is the case and that this is just a temporary bump in the road.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but this should be the first time YYR has handled stainless steel and titanium (ok, except for the old screws). What i think is going on now is that either their usual guy is struggling to make these in quantity, or YYR is working with other manufacturers to ease the flow. I think it’s a bit of both.
Also, since it’s YYR’s first bi-metal, theoretically they should also have some minor issues about the epoxy which holds both the metals together.

Right now, anything of the three could be a weak link. I know many people are confident that the Japanese could make everything great (if not perfect) and in timely fashion, but in the end they’re still humans, and Kengo has only spent 5 years not deviating from original design.

Change is always welcome, but radically changing to a new design ain’t easy, no matter how big the company.

On a side note: I received these today. Sleipnir, Overdrive and e=mc2 (Attune and Dreadnought are just chillin’ out at the back). Never been happier.

That two-tone Sleipnir is hot!

Yuki

TWO TONE 4 LYFE

$$$$

Azirn,

Thanks for the pictures. That two-tone Sleipnir and the splashed E=MC2 look so happy with their new friends :slight_smile:

I’m really surprised no one has posted this… Looks sick!

1 Like

Black rims? Are you kidding me? I may be a poor college student with a VERY part time job, a car insurance bill coming up next month, and a rental house and university to save up for, but I NEED THAT.

I hear you, friend.

Wow… there goes another $200 from my account.

Yuki

That looks like enough reason to buy another Draupnir. Oh boy…
Just when i’m saving up for a new phone.
On another note, YYR has again removed the Draupnir off the site, and also the Aeronaut.
On a side note, what service (imgur, photobucket, etc) do you guys prefer to use post pictures on the forum? Other than the attachment system. I’d figure i’d find it handy in the future.

@YoyoGeezer, thanks a million again. Been super happy to have owned and played them. Still reeling over how awesome the Sleipnir is.

@Yuki, actually that two-tone Sleipnir is a little unique. It’s half Japanese, half Singaporean. A Christopher Kido edition?

If any of you are wondering, yes that Razer Ferox speaker in the background is upside-down.