YoYoRecreation Appreciation Thread

I never hated it. I expressed skepticism that it was better than a Draupnir and whether titanium made for better yo-yos compared to aluminum. I also felt $600 is a lot for a yo-yo and still do. That said, I think I’m going to buy one anyway but if it sucks I might flip out and murder someone. FYI.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up

600 $ is a shame for two pieces of titanium so trivial to produce (many of whom also have a reset machine errors … the dot in the center of the cup). Any operator cnc you consider crazy and laugh at seeing this yoyo and its price.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10622916_701964779877590_5691818461041767294_n.jpg?oh=6e0f1db21879e76b650f8ffe29d940e6&oe=5466C602&gda=1416464570_eca7cbff62ee42887a8614a3bfde4011

Got this this morning, I was expecting much more of it, honestly…
If somebody’s interested, hit me up.

Clashcube? I really liked mine. Very unique throw. :slight_smile:

yup, it’s fun, but I’d rather like another Triad

I’d buy it, but I’m saving my money for more important things. (draupnir)

I’m in the minority around here, but I like my dazzler more than my draupnir. Don’t have a laser yet. Waiting for a better color option…

As for 600 for CNC machined piece of metal, there is more to the value than material and machine time. The creative designers deserve their compensation. Anyone who does work where the creativity is the major focus of their job description knows that people who are good at it are rarer than you’d think, and they deserve to make a good living if their creations have value.

I agree with you, and for this reason the dazzler has a crazy price, because there is nothing creative in him … Specs outdated (those of the first stardust), banal and elementary lines, graphics very questionable and realization taste with technically irrelevant errors but that denote carelessness.
I also believe that is the titanium yoyo that has aroused less interest overall, don’t see it in the want list of bst, and in the 214 pages of this board it was discussed only for its release and now for his new release … . then nothing.

1 Like

I figure it hasn’t been discussed much because not many people own one and there were no rumors of a re-release. It’s not completely true it hasn’t been in people’s wants list. For one it’s been in mine. I’ve gotten zero replies about it, which indicates it’s quite rare among people on YYE and even rarer among people willing to part with one. This would explain why it hasn’t been in the BST section.

What were the specs of the original Stardust? I can’t find them. I found specs for the Stardust2 and they’re fairly different. I agree the shape is somewhat generic. Still it’s not a good predictor for the yo-yos performance given the differences in density between titanium and aluminum.

Anybody know how many of these were released in the first run? 20? 30? It couldn’t have been a large number.

@RobK

Can you briefly review the performance characteristics of the Dazzler vs. the Draupnir? I have no problem with the price tag if it actually delivers. I’m still skeptical in that regard.

I apologize for the double post, but I was curious about persson’s claim that the Dazzler was barely talked about in this thread. I ran a one-word search on “Dazzler” and got 9 pages of results, out of 214, so about 4.2% of posts directly mention the Dazzler. I think this is fairly high.

I noticed something rather interesting when scouring the first several pages of results. Around when the Dazzler was launched, it was widely considered by buyers to be the best yo-yo in the world. Posts mentioning the Dazzler continue to reflect this belief up to and past the initial launch of the Draupnir. It was not until several months after the Draupnir’s release (by which point Dazzlers could no longer be purchased) that opinions clearly shifted to favoring the Draupnir. When the Draupnir was first released there were several comments about its poor stability, something you literally never hear anymore.

This leads me to believe two fairly obvious things:

1. The placebo effect is very strong for new, high-end yo-yos.

2. This effect wanes over time as other high-end yo-yos are released.

That said, I am curious whether owners of the Draupnir, Dazzler, and Laser have shifted their perceptions over time as to the merits of each.

Stardust v1 specs: 52/40/65

But I thought the Dazzler was based on the OG Stargazer, not the Stardust

Hmm…it doesn’t quite match either of those. Dazzler is 63.8/54/41.2

When he came out the first run of the Sovereign, 50 numbered pieces (yoyo that I think doesn’t excel in play) for almost two years in the “want list”, 7 out of 10 users tried this yoyo.
The Tiwalker … in my opinion the best titanium yoyo ever produced, has captured at first monent and for years the focus of the majority of the community.
Without statistics or research, the Dazzler doesn’t seem to inspire similar interests or equivalent, I haven’t read that play better, it only stands for a crazy price … only comparable to the crazy prices as the Oxygéné titanium yo-yo, yoyo that born and soon no one remembers them.

The Sputnik instead seems like a yoyo really interesting, you know when it can be commercialized?

I thought I already addressed this. TiWalkers are super popular for a variety of reasons. First, we’re talking about an American company. VsNewton had more exposure when these were released than did YYR so it’s unfair to compare the legacy of the TiWalker with the Dazzler. Second, TiWalkers were produced in a more limited number. From what I’ve gathered, in the first two Dazzler runs there were 100 made, followed by the latest run of 30. So it isn’t as scarce. Third, if you search this thread for “Dazzler” you will see many pages of posts with people talking about how great it is. Finally, I haven’t seen any significant expressions of the claim that the TiWalker is the best titanium yo-yo ever produced. And I’ve never talked to anyone credible who thinks it’s on the level of modern high-end Japanese yo-yos such as the Draupnir, whereas that claim can be made for the Dazzler. I don’t know if this claim is true or not (I would very much like to find out) but it has been made repeatedly. Pretty sure you’re a bigger “Dazzler hater” than I am since you were hating it before I even joined the forums, as can be seen in the thread history.

How could 7 out of 10 yo-yoers try a yo-yo that was produced in 50 numbered pieces? I feel like you’re just pulling numbers out of nowhere as this is logistically impossible.

I think I understand … surely when these things were happening and I was playing with the yoyo and followed the forum dedicated to them you probably played with the Lego’s buildings.

I don’t hate anything, it annoys me only those who by virtue of a name that has been done, and there is merit in fact, at one point trying to make easy money …

ps. I have a global vision, aren’t the United States, and when the VNYYC created the Tiwalker and began his accomplishments YYR was already the best brand in the world … and the Tiwalker well as having a distribution much more organized, I remind you that it cost $ 200, not 600 (10$ a gram!!!).

p.s2. Some, to have a sovereign first run have given three alloy yoyo high level … but what do you know …

You may have a global vision but you’re posting on an American board where YYR was not fully appreciated until relatively recently.

I’m not sure I understand the rest of your post. I think I get the gist of paragraph 2…you’re saying it annoys you that YYR is trying to make money off the influence of their reputation rather than good designs? Something like that?

I don’t understand paragraphs 1 and 4. I was playing with buildings? I don’t get it. I’m just saying if 50 of these were produced in the world, how could 7 of 10 yo-yoers (or anywhere close to that number) have tried that yo-yo, when there are tens of thousands of yo-yoers, if not more, globally. Conservatively if we take 10000 to be the number we’re assuming 7000 of them tried this yo-yo, so each of the 50 was traded/borrowed approximately 140 times?

People have appreciated yyr since the first release of the stardust

Especially after the mystery boxes they did which gave them a bunch of recognition and a lot more availability on the BST.

Yoyorecreation is always appreciated and known in the United States, the very first Dreadnought or Sleipnir arrived here in Italy in 2009 and were purchased on Yoyonation.com, we appreciated them in Italy without being able to have, imagine there in USA
For the Sovereign, just because they were made only 50 and sold in just a few hours, to many months in the trade section of many forum, the users were hoping to be able to have one due to exchanges with 2 or 3 yoyo in their possession and in the “want list” of these post the Sovering was always among the first places.
I hope I explained myself, although my English is painful.