YoYoRecreation Appreciation Thread

oh, that’s fine then, I find the yellow on store pictures too bright for my taste
I wish they make some new colors soon

It’s the same yellow as the diffusion.

Only got a clear Diffusion so far ;D

A) The complexity of the machining process doesn’t have much to do with a yo-yo’s performance.

B) There are several companies who have designed yo-yos with over-the-rim press fit rings. Some of them, like Sturm Panzer or YYJ, have released over-the-rim yo-yos at much lower price points than YYR. It can’t be as complicated as you’re making it out to be.

C) With that in mind, do you really think Turning Point could not make yo-yos with over-the-rim rings? There may be reasons having nothing to do with machining complexity as to why a company decides to use rings press-fit into the rim rather than over it, the most salient of which is probably that an over-the-rim design violates yoyojam’s patent and therefore such yo-yos cannot be sold in the U.S.

D) The price point of Turning Point yo-yos is more static than YYR. Turning Point releases raw and splash yo-yos with a price point difference of at most 1000 yen, and on the higher end models like the Palpitation, the splash releases will probably cost the same, 24,800 yen. This is only 1000 yen more than YYR is selling anodized Draupnirs now (and probably anodized Lasers). Meanwhile sOMETHING’s new releases are 19800 yen and Sturm Panzer’s bi-metal yo-yos have been even less. I agree Turning Point prices are a little high but for competition-grade yo-yos nothing compares but YYR, and there is not a significant difference there.

Do you mean 1000 yen?

Yes I did thanks for the catch. By the way, got the Phaser and here’s my review:

GET IT

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/14558926039_39e2e50c6c_o.jpghttps://farm4.staticflickr.com/3891/14558925609_a92129b8b7_o.jpghttps://farm4.staticflickr.com/3894/14558916518_4b15dbcb7e_o.jpghttps://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/14722560326_56505ca815_o.jpg

Seriously this is one of the best yo-yos I own. I definitely like it more than the Laser and might even like it more than the Draupnir. It’s closer to the Laser in specs and is a phenomenal 3A/5A yo-yo but it’s great for 1A too. I’ll write up a full review later. My only complaint is the colors released so far are not that good, but the red looks okay in person. Not as good as YYR does red, but pretty good.

I wish it were 3mm bigger :-[

The Diffusion is the best plastic out there. The Triad is the best plastic/metal yoyo out there, The price/performance is relatively the same. The performance of the Triad is significantly better than the Diffusion. Roughly 2X that of the pure-plastic Diffusion.

The price, however, reflects that.

If you can afford only one: Triad.

If you can only afford the Diffusion: Diffusion.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Also, just have to note; Shai seems to speak for the market. Those Emerald Green Draupnirs are languishing.

Just have to say: PURPLE! seriously… how many times do we need to ask? … PURPLE; & BLASTED already. Enough crap colors that no one wants!

And; does the "YoyoAddict Version have the juvenile YoyoAddict logo on the reverse? Dunno; I do not see any images of the other side. Anyone?

… Ridiculous. :frowning:

They’re releasing the colors one at a time too. YYR refused to tell me which colors were coming or even to confirm if purple was among them. All those hundreds (dozens?) of emerald green fans (five?) need to buy up the Draupnirs at YYR so they’ll release a different color already.

1 Like

Surprisingly the YoYoAddict version has no markings at all that would lead you to think it was a special edition. Has the draupnir logo on one side and the new yoyorecreation logo on the other. The green color is really nice to me. Purple blasted would be the holy grail lol.

The A in Draupnir is the difference

Really subtle

1 Like

Ahh. Great eye you have. That’s actually pretty cool IMO.

Damn it now I want one just for that.

1 Like

Lol. Me too! :slight_smile:

Do you guys think the Triad is better than the Views Sunshine?

Just to interject some things here that have come up in the last few pages.

There is nothing about the Draupnir that is hard to machine/make/etc. It’s a very simple design, but a very well done one. The quality of the work is top notch for sure… but $230? laughable to even try to justify that price with anything but hype.

YYJ’s patent technically covers any ‘higher density material’ on the ‘outermost portion’ of a yo-yo rim. So bi-metal would in fact fall under that if you place the heavier metal on the outside. Physics wise there is very little difference if it’s inside or outside the rim, but I’ll admit it usually looks cooler outside. As far as instances I have heard of, they’ve only tried to enforce it with plastic/metal hybrids but I doubt I’ve been aware of every time it has come up. This is ignoring that the YYJ patent is complete bs to begin with.

Kyle

I’ve been curious about that yo-yo. Have you tried one? If so, how does it play? I think the ones with gold-plated rims look sick. It’s pretty costly though, and I’d never even heard of Views until I saw that yo-yo.

I havent personally, but according to a reviewer it plays like a lighter izm and also more solid and less bouncy. The triad is perhaps longer spinning and more stable tho.

The two are priced the same at 78 also.

IZM = Phenomizm? All I could gather from the google translation of that review is that it was compared to the Phenomizm and is overly responsive. Also, this neat little translation:

“There will be no effort to convey the kind of hands on the ball than a feeling”

LOL, whut? Google sucks at translating East Asian languages ???

Yeah the normal ones are priced the same (still expensive for plastic hybrids IMO) but I was talking specifically about the one with gold rings. It’s 10300 yen. I assume they’re gold-plated but depending how thick the plating is it could affect the overall ring weight since gold is insanely dense.