YoYoRecreation Appreciation Thread

I don’t think you will have a problem getting rid of it if you don’t like it, the only negative thing I’ve heard about YYR is the price. Now I’m tempted to get a Messiah since they have them for 80 bucks with shipping to the US.

I, for one, would be interested in your thoughts when it arrives. I know how I felt when I first threw it; it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of a professional after a few throws of the Draupnir. I am not saying that a professional will, or will not appreciate the Draupnir more or less than anyone else. Actually, the reality may be the opposite. What I am interested in is whether a professional has any different take on the performance of the Draupnir given their high-level of proficiency with any yo-yo.

What is your idea of professional? I could give some opinions, but I’m not sure what you constitute as a professional and I don’t want to arrogantly assert that I am a professional.

Nathan’s profile says “Professional”. So, I assume he is sponsored or on a team of some sort. That implies that he/she is very accomplished. If I am wrong, I apologize for my ignorance.

I used to play soccer in college/post college. I know I can juggle any ball that is round and bounces, as well as curl/swerve and generally control any soccer ball. An adidas MLS/Europa/World Cup ball, is a different story, however. That is a pleasure on the foot. It is easy to control, soft and forgiving but if you give it a pop, it sails like no other $50 ball. That is why professionals like Ronaldo hit goals from 40+ yards out. The ball they use is super-high performance and is pumped up to 16lbs. It can do things no other ball can do when placed on the foot of someone who is already accomplished.

I am curious if the Draupnir, in the hands of a pro, is the same way. Can it take the professional’s performance to the next-level? Or, is it just a more luxurious, longer-spinning ride?

Nathan is a judge.

Nathan was/is sponsored by Yoyojam so I would assume he has a skill level high enough to gauge if a yoyo is good.

here go a few with the new Attuned Druap with the classic

n the side

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the back sorry for the sloppy post just wanna get these up before the wife comes’ down stairs LOL

Nice pair.
Are you gonna be in trouble? ::slight_smile:

It should be a crime for people to have multiple draupnirs and I have yet to try one lol.

Thanks Geezer, Yeah a little …Worth it!

=)

RE: A crime to have more than one DRAUPNIR …“Breakin’ the law! Breakin’ the law!” lol

YoYoJordan, Nice try =) I think those guys will, to quote Yomagic, “not see the light of bst”

=) Congrats on the DRAUPNIR, it is one sweet throw. I tend to state obvious.

One thing that I find curious given all this Draupnir love; why no love for the Laser? That beast is second only to the Draupnir in performance; and not by much. I love my Laser and am amazed that it stays in stock. I know people are waiting for more interesting colors on this design; but this is one of the best throws out there for sure. It plays with the ferocious performance of the Draupnir; but in a totally different form-factor and feel. If you do not have one, you are missing out on an amazing throw.

I wish they would make a blasted or, Matte version like they did with the Draupnir. Purple? Oh yeah; Purple!

I still need to get my hands on a Laser but torn between a Blink and StarGazer at the moment :’(.

You can buy a Laser right now. The Blink and the Stargazer will only rarely come up on BST.

I did not care for the Laser at all. It was undoubtedly an excellent yoyo, and the most powerful of any Avalanche-ish yoyo I’ve owned, but it is by far my least preferred yoyo shape. I probably threw it less than 5 minutes before knowing I would be putting it on my BST and less than 20 minutes in the time I owned it. Different strokes for different folks obviously, but I expected to feel exactly the same about the Draupnir as I would not classify myself as a fan of aggressive V shapes either, and it blew me away.

As for the Blink, I’m not sure if there are any Blinks on the BST at the moment other than mine but the Blink is one of my favorite YYRs and yoyos period…I’m not even sure why I have mine listed on the BST, I guess I just don’t feel like I “need” it. YYR still has the gunmetal A- available as well. I’d go for the Blink over the Laser right now for sure, but that’s easy for me to say knowing that I love one and don’t care for the other.

huh? You threw it for 5 minutes and you knew the shape was wrong for you?

If you do not like the “shape” of the Laser - then I guess you do not like most YYR designs? The Laser has a shape much more like the Sleipnir than the V-shape of the Draupnir.

Hmmm. You do not like the classic YYR shape, you do not like V-shape. What do you like? …H?

I can get my hands on any at the moment. I know I can get a Laser from the site along side with the Blink but know a few owners that have a Blink and Gazer for sale. Just having trouble picking. I do know ether throw would suit me just fine.

The Laser has a 56mm diameter with only a 40mm width. I typically do not like yoyos with a standard/large diameter and small width. Additionally, the profile is very similar to the Sasquatch/Avalanche, which are great players, but still among my least favorites in the CLYW lineup.

I don’t really know what else to say, I’m not quite sure why whether or not I liked the yoyo, why I didn’t care for the yoyo and what my yoyo preferences are have come under fire. I’m simply stating that neither the shape of the Laser nor the shape of the Draupnir struck me as something that I would love. As it turned out, the Draupnir ended up being an excellent fit for me, whereas the Laser did nothing for me. I was merely suggesting that perhaps the lack of love for the Laser might be a result of others feeling similarly about the yoyo.

If you have any more intentionally obtuse, leading or condescending statements or questions about my opinions of a yoyo, feel free to fire away.

Are 19mm pads (kpads, YYF pads, etc) the same size as thick YYR pads?