YoYoRecreation Appreciation Thread

blue draupnir

It is as fast as you want to make it. The stability rivals the Gleipnir, with a 40mm width. the Laser is unique YYR throw that you will love to have in your arsenal. Awesome groundbreaking yoyo in so many ways.

If I had to get one: Draupnir. But who ever gets one Yoyorecreation? Once you have tried them; you cannot go backā€¦

Anyone taken their Dazzler apart? Took mine apart to swap out the bearing which had gotten loud and canā€™t get it back together. The axle is only 5mm long and when screwed all the way into one side it wonā€™t even start threading into the other, and despite a ton of attempts i canā€™t get it to thread into both halves simultaneously. I have an extra YYR axle, but itā€™s about .5mm too long, but might try to see if i can make it work. Emailed YYR, hopefully i hear back from them soon as itā€™s unplayable at this point. Shortest axle iā€™ve ever seen on a yoyo, kinda frustrating as thereā€™s plenty of threads in the halves for a longer axle. Sigh.

same size as the old Stargazers, Sleipnirs, Dreadnoughts, etc?

Hm, not sure, hereā€™s a picture of it next to a new Messiah axle:

Here it is screwed all the way into one half:

Here it is with a bearing on it, as you can see the bearing is significantly higher than the axle:

If anyone has an extra older short YYR axle iā€™d love to buy it to give it a try.

looks the sameā€¦

this extremely short axle is the reason why I think older yyr played better, but they stripped easily
Iā€™ve been told you can find M5 axles in hardware stores, even if here, in France, I never found any.

I hope youā€™ll have this fixed soon, itā€™s a shame this kind of problem is even possible with a 600$ yoyo designed in 2013

Thanks for the help. Just ordered a bunch of set screws online and will see what i can figure out while i wait for YYR to get back to me. I think a 6mm long axle will work great, too bad they donā€™t make 7mm set screws, thatā€™d work too i think. Also buying ā€œaxlesā€ from yoyo companies turns out to be a massive rip off as seen here:

You can cut screws down to size. Did this to make a new axle for my Token once upon a time. Thinking of doing it for my Pulsefire, which also has a very short axle but is ā€œfloatingā€ and could accomodate a larger one.

Greg, what did you use to cut the axle? The lesson I learned last time was that even the finest pliers will warp the end of the screw and filing it back to even is a pain.

On an unrelated subject, if anyone asked me what my favorite yoyo was I would probably give a different answer every day of the week depending on what Iā€™ve most recently thrown, but as the case often is in life, actions speak louder than words. Of the last 10 strings I have used, Iā€™d say 5 were on the Draupnir and the other 5 were spread between 5 different yoyos.

Now excuse me while I go throw my favorite yoyo at this very secondā€¦the Quake.

Also, yesterday I found a a pair of shoes in my closet that I completely forgot I bought at the end of September and still havenā€™t worn. As great as I think/thought they were, it seemed like I was probably safe to return them since I wore them 0 times and honestly didnā€™t even remember I had them. I now feel like I found $486 sitting in the street and need to put it back into circulationā€¦

lol, you gotta fill us in more, $486 shoes?!

Just a pair of boots. Lifeā€™s no fun if you donā€™t enjoy the finer things ;D Iā€™ve said it a couple times but yoyo spending is really the least of my spending woes, at least I can sell them back for about what I paid or a small lossā€¦unless it was a YYF purchased at retail lol

http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Large/7/_8483007.jpg

Iā€™ll miss them but a pair of boots sitting boxed up in my closet for over 3 months has even less value to me than a yoyo that just sits in a case looking pretty. Well, I guess the boots actually prolly have more value since I was able to return them for full priceā€¦but thatā€™s not the point so much as the point is that I donā€™t really have much of a use for anything that sits around not getting used as it was intended. I bought them right after returning from a long vacation where I was the social butterfly I remember myself being from 2009-2012ā€¦I forgot how incredibly boring Iā€™ve gotten the past year or two.

I put the axle in a makeshift vice (a real vice would be better, but I clamped on a pair of vice grips and then clamped those to my work surface. :wink: ) and then used a metal cut-off wheel on a Dremel-type rotary tool.

Just as a small aside, whenever I clamp vice grips on to a threaded item I use plenty of thin tissue paper between the vice grips and the thread. It actually can help with the grip on the thread, and definitely reduces the thread damage. If you are sawing/grinding down the threaded region the tissue can also reduce damage inducing vibrations. Sorry if this is crazy obvious but I figured Iā€™d add it anyway.

Wow, thatā€™s insane! Is this the case with the other new YYRā€™s awell?

Definitely not! No one panic. Haha. Nah this just uses a particularly short axle. Not sure if itā€™s only mine or they just used a really short axle. It has more threads inside though so itā€™s not like the walls are ultra-thin and it was necessary. Using a standard 8mm axle itā€™s literally like .2mm from closing the halves together completely so hoping itā€™ll be easy enough to fix. Iā€™ll let ya guys know what YYR says.

Try sanding the 8mm down until it is perfect. Itā€™ll be trial and error, but should fit perfect if done right. Iā€™d use around 600 grit.

Good news on the Dazzler! Got my shipment of set screws, aka ā€œaxlesā€ today and 4mmx.7mmx6mm works amazingly.

Hereā€™s the difference between the original and one of the replacements:

Any apparent difference in thickness is an optical illusion.

I actually think it plays better now than it did originally, which was really good in the first place, dead, dead smooth, just beautiful.

YYR emailed me back:

lol, thanks guys, hadnā€™t thought of that. But yeah. I actually might just start replacing all of my axles as standard practice, even just to have the allen head for removal. Really happy with Bolt Depot where i ordered them from, super fast shipping and the quality of the parts is great. Anyone needs axles i have extra M4 and M5 ones in various lengths that might work for ya.

Great news :slight_smile:

Finally got my first YYR, a ReClash. With the 28 storiesish looking ano ;D

Threw mine for a while yesterday, a very fun yoyo, really like the shape, super unique, nice weight.