Yoyoing is stress-free? Or stress-ful?

Wow time goes by fast, it’s been like 6 months, how u feelin now?

I think the constant knots from binds and tricks went away for the most part after 3 or 4 months for me. I was starting to develop flow around 6 months

3 Likes

Depends on situation for me…For the most part it’s a stress reliever. This is when I’m just mindlessly connecting various tricks I know together or pulling off some favorites.

My former job stressed me out quite a bit due to lousy management, failing equipment and the constant push that our numbers are low - yet they were not investing on getting our needed equipment fixed. So at that time, had management constantly jumping down our throats. My 15 minute breaks were something I looked forward to just to step outside and throw…and tune the world out. Have to admit, I got so lost in what I was doing that I’d squeeze out an extra 5 minutes just to regain sanity…not that they ever logged how long my breaks actually were :slight_smile:

Stress can come in when I’m in search for a new trick and every new one I try to pull off and learn won’t click, and when my brain just decides to not want to figure out what I’m seeing.

4 Likes

It can be both. Skill building training and practice can be stressfull. But making/filming/landing something you think is good is stress-free.

Whichever it is for me, it’s always fun.

4 Likes

I came back to yoyoying after 13 years or so, it wasn’t stressful in middle school, still ain’t stressful now…tricks or elements may annoy me, sure, but to the point where I’m stressed?? Nah :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Idk if I’d say stressful, but I can definitely get frustrated sometimes when things just aren’t clicking.

But in general it’s pretty enjoyable. I don’t enter the meditative flow state some have described, but I have fun

4 Likes

Knots are pretty rare now, which is a blessing for sure. Of course, I haven’t started working on GT yet, so I have that to look forward to…

I also find that I don’t feel stressed like I used to because I feel like I am in much more control and that getting a handle on a trick is just a matter of time. That control also means I don’t worry about injury anymore.

So while I’m rarely feeling “totally chill” while throwing, I’m much more relaxed about the whole affair now.

6 Likes

The basic GT where you kind of go into a brother mount over your TH wrist is pretty simple.

5 Likes

Yes! The first GT I learnt and I still do it numerous times every time I throw! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it can be a little stressful when you try to take on too much at once. Setting smaller goals (in a learning phase) makes it easier for me. For instance, today I’m going to find a few more things from a kink mount, find a couple of moves, and call it done for the “learning” phase today. I think the old cliché “don’t bite off more blah blah” applies.

When I jump around too much, I tend to forget what I’ve just learned, and forget to apply it.

I liked the Casual yoyo tutorials for this reason, they are lessons. Some of us crave more structure than others, this is not good or bad.

I have trouble remembering tricks with many steps, I sort of gave up on it a little, enjoying new elements more.

EDIT

“I agree Andi. Sometimes it’s a matter of knowing what to focus on. Sometimes info overload can stress people.”

My previous post was much more succinct, and said the same thing

2 Likes

Is yoyoing stress-free or stressful or is it simply what one makes it?

Edit: I wish I could type in my Yoda voice at times. (hehe)

5 Likes

If someone has a perfectionist type personality, many things can feel stressful. The commonalities in this topic with other endeavors is present.

Of course a pharmacist must be 100% accurate, but in some things, 80% is enough. a loaded statement , I understand.

3 Likes

Update.

My new outlook is that if its causing you stress, you are doing it wrong.

2 Likes

To express it on this another way, I’ll say that for me, yo-yoing is one more means of meditation. I don’t expect meditation to be inherently stress-less. It’s not about reducing (or increasing) stress within my life. It’s about experiencing a moment in time and an action in space without dissecting it, analyzing it, comparing it, or otherwise getting in its way.

I think that generally, the net effect of yo-yoing probably does reduce stress in my life - maybe significantly (I wouldn’t know as I play all the time)… but for me that’s not its function or purpose. In fact to hang that expectation or goal on it would be counter-productive, akin to yelling at myself for having trouble falling asleep.

6 Likes

it is stress free, but if i do the tricks which i cannot do then it becomes stressful.

2 Likes

I can’t believe the opinions are divided honestly. My overwhelming enjoyment from yoyo comes from the stress relief aspect. Yoyoing itself has never been and never will be a source of stress. If it became stressful I’d quit immediately

I can see how some preparing for a contest that theyre invested in could be stressful and necessary, but outside of that stress should be non-existent from yoyos

3 Likes

If you are just trying to perfect a trick for your own satisfaction, you probably shouldn’t be getting stressed, it’s ok to get totally frustrated, but there’s no reason to get stressed. There are some tricks I have tried to learn that I gave up on and wrote off as just being evil, but they don’t stress me out, they just infuriate me and drive me to drinking.

3 Likes

In my experience, feeling stress is not something we have conscious control over. We can treat stress by consciously being aware of it and taking steps to mitigate it (after the fact), but we don’t get to choose what we are and are not stressed about. So telling someone they “shouldn’t feel stressed” about something is patently unhelpful.

In the context of yoyoing, I expected my general stress level to decrease with time, experience, and the slow, inexorable growth of confidence that comes from just throwing a lot. And it has. But that’s what it took: time and practice. Not telling myself I “shouldn’t” be feeling what I was feeling, as if the real cure was convincing rhetoric and a change in perspective. Sorry, but stress just doesn’t work that way.

1 Like

Hey man, just because perspective change doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. I guess you just aren’t wired that way :man_shrugging:

Our perspective of the situation is what determines whether it’s stressful or not. Perspective change is key to unlocking anything in life. It’s true that it’s not always an on/off switch; meaning you can’t just decide to have a different perspective immediately, but it can most certainly be cultivated.

4 Likes

That’s good.

3 Likes

For me it’s relaxing and a fun, definitely a break from boredom. Playing in itself isn’t stressful for me, especially once you have a handful of tricks that you’ve got down enough to casually play around with. Now when it comes to challenging yourself to learn something new yeah I can see how it could get frustrating really quick, especially when start getting knots and knuckling yourself, but man does it ever light up the reward center in my brain when I finally get it. It’s like sometimes the more struggle I had getting something down the more rewarding it was when I finally got it. :blush:

3 Likes