Yoyofficer yoyos vs Yoyofactory budget metal line

Plus a comparison between the Rave & the Nightmare.

Honestly I don’t really see it by brand except with a few like Yoyojam or YYR when brand matters, for me at least, it’s more like the individual yoyo that counts.
The Shutter and Shu-ta both are great, along with DV888, etc.
I “accidentally” clicked YYO because for some reason when I hear YYO I picture a Rave, really dig the specs and shape, but then realized it wasn’t a budget. Now I can’t change it.

I’ve never tried a Rave, so I can’t answer the second question.

However, I think YoYoFactory budget metals beat anything Yoyofficer has thrown out (other than maybe the Rave, which I have never tried). I’ve owned a few Yoyofficer and I’ve thrown others at contests and I just don’t like them. They almost feel cheap in the hand. I think that yoyos like the Shutter and Horizon are way better. We could even throw in the Aviator 2 and Dogma now that the price has dropped.

ima go with yyo because of that new bimetal that there making its gonna be only 75 bucks but nightmare is lighter in play than rave

Can’t pick one. Both YYO Nifty and YYF TooHOT are all-time top-picks for me, with Nifty sliiiiightly winning out more because of weight and shape than “quality”. If anything, the Golden Galaxy TooHOT has a touch more of a premium feel to it.

Can’t compare the Rave to the Nightmare. But the Rave is delightful. Comfortable, light, and has that fun stability that to me says “yup, I’m bi-metal all right”.

Also tough choice, they both come out with some great throws…Quash, Orbis…Too Hot, Dream, Shu-Ta… Both feel like nice quality

Nightmare and Rave both definitely feel like a bimetal.

Like to see a quality comparison, as in how long they last.

Well, a 6061 will always be 6061, 7075 will always be 7075. How long it last will depend on lots of things like how deep the axle threading is, etc. I don’t think “quality” says anything about durability (except if it’s sloppily made which isn’t the case for both), it’s the design which is specific to each yoyo, and the material which has pretty much the same quality as long as it’s of the same series.
If you want a durable yoyo, find the ones with longer axle and or higher grade material.

It all depends on what they are subjected to. If you look after them properly, what could really happen to them?

YYO is a great brand, they make my favorite yoyos, and they strive to make their yoyos affordable, not ‘budget’.

YYF also make some great affordable yoyos, especially lately. However, I think you can get more bang for your buck with Yoyofficer. You can’t beat a Kilter 2 for $30.

Why are you so obsessed with constantly comparing yoyos? There is only so far you can compare brands and models without the conservation getting stale and too many opinions muddying things up.

You really just need to take a plunge and just buy and decide for yourself in the end.

yyf cant even get a bearing seat right whether it s metal, plastic or plastic w/spacers.
Once you unscrew one of those the damage is already irreversible by regular means. The anodized coating on the bearing seat is now unevenly stripped and can immediately trigger vibration. Your bearing s inner race and probably your bearing remover are both left with deep scratch scars that will in turn hurt any other yoyo you use them with. In a few more times your bearing seat, with its soft, bare aluminium now exposed, is unevenly worn down to the point of becoming too loose while trailing behind black metal dust the entire time all over your bearing. You begin to hear screeches as you tighten the yoyo when the axle is stressed as the bearing seat will not fit evenly onto the bearing, and damage to the threading soon follows.

They have had plenty of publicity for bad bearing seats, but I honestly haven’t come across it. In my 2 yetis (using YYF spacers), Protostar (spacer), and fairly long list of metal yoyos of theirs I’ve owned, I haven’t had a single death grip bearing seat.

I know for sure they exist. I’m not doubting that. I’ve even experienced some of the symptoms (squeak while screwing together on my Avant Garde that I owned), but these haven’t produced stripped threads. I think it’s a stretch to say “they can’t get a bearing seat right” when the evidence shows otherwise.

One Drop makes as far as I’m concerned a perfect bearing post. Especially with the SE system in place. Yet, some of their yoyos I’ve owned have developed vibe. Who knows what induces vibe sometimes? It’s a mystery. I don’t let it bother me or I’d lose sleep. :wink:

K, will take your advice then.

I only have 2 YYO throws but have more YYF budget throws and while I thoroughly enjoy both the YYO I have neither can compare to the Too Hot, for me specifically once all of the throws are compared the Too Hot just wins this category hands down.

I agree with you. I’ve tried the Kilter, Kilter 2, Brave, Orbis, Nifty, Lava, IMP, Hatchet, Hatchet 2, Jaeger, quite a few other YYO. I’ve also tried Shutter, Shu-ta, Horizon, TooHOT, New Genesis, CzechPoint, Czechmate, Cypher and DOGMA. In my opinion, Nifty, IMP, Lava and Hatchet are the YYO budget standouts. They are really nice models. But, I don’t enjoy playing them nearly as much as my TooHOT, Aviator 2, New Genesis, and Dogma. I just can’t believe some of the models they have cut the price down on, like Aviator 2 and Dogma, it’s just crazy. A “good” crazy. And, YoyoFactory always seems to find that sweet spot I like where the solid feel is concerned.

Actually, I apologize for my earlier statement.

You should feel free to post whatever takes your interest here. If topics like these help you to purchase carefully, then that’s a good thing.

YYO imp over DV888 for undersized throw
Shutter (or Shu-ta) for YYF

I v heard that this problem is more pronounced in premium splash editions. I recall an outlet specimen i tried direct from the chinese factory was a bit more acceptable, although still below average by chinese standards.
Given how american made models never have this issue regardless of version, i dont think they ever considered to do something about the problem. I dont think theres a single local chinese brand who still uses this same setting as those yyfs anymore, they are done with that phase, realized the problem, made changes and moved on. If manufacturers like auldey can offer dead smooth metals and plastics with fixed metal hub inserts at less than a quarter the price yyf charges and small local brands at about a half to 80%, yyf has got no excuse watsoever to act like they got stuck with death grip seats or plastic threadings.

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m getting a YYO yoyo haul directly from the flagship store. How? I have relatives in Shenzhen, the city where the YYO store is.

Here’s another take/realization with Yoyofficer, an advantage with their throws - many of their throws have the more fancy acid wash finishes that one would normally pay a premium for on other throws including YYF, without the extra $15-20. For me, I typically favor the more unique acid washes over the solids on any throw and not having to shell out extra for a unique color is more than welcome in my eyes.

Ok, both Nightmare and Rave took a hard hit in different ways. My nightmare smacked the ground at work (tile floor) and noticed an odd vibe, and then noticed a small gap between the aluminum body and the steel ring. Fortunately I was able to push the ring back in place and the yoyo played like before. Also heard stories of stripped Nightmares, followed by a modification made to them to use 10mm axles instead of the rather short 8mm axles.

Rave once played dead smooth, then had hit a metal bar on some exercise equipement. I have a ding on the inner wall of the yoyo and there’s some vibe I haven’t been able to fully tune out. I swapped bearings and found something that’s close but not smooth as it was.

In short, a yoyo’s only gonna last as long as you take care of it. Accidents happen, and similar effects can happen on either throw.

I own a ton of YoyoFactory yo-yos and never had any issues with mine. The good things is, with YYF I always feel like I get what I paid for, and a lot more. I just bought a YoyoFactory budget metal, blasted, with a cool 1/1 4 color ano’, at very reasonable price $60. I don’t think I’ve seen Yoyofficer doing that on their budget metals. I think that’s something YoyoFactory is doing that is “different.”

I’m enjoying YYO right now, but YYF is on another level.