YoyoFactory Shutter Goes Down in History

This is a really good thread TA, I was actually looking to put together a list of historic contest results - maybe top 3 from each division at each contest as far back as I can get. If I could add the yoyo used for each player, that would really be a bonus :slight_smile: Anyone who can help me out with info, let me know.

Thanks for being one of the few who saw the purpose of the original post, and actually read it. Let’s see if we can get a list going. I think these “signature” yo-yos are sometimes dead on, and timing is everything. I was just thinking, it would have been cooler with the Raider, if it was Baybrook’s signature. The Hitman thing is cool, people on IG are saying it was '02/'03 for Delvalle.

well I know the attic circle 1 by Zach at nats 2012, petr used the ac2 and czech nats this year, iorny jp by that guy that from werrd. Carlos Braun, and Harold Owens at nats 2011

Haha its sig yoyos that won nats and worlds.

There is one guy on IG who is like a yo-yo encyclopedia. He mentioned the Rextreme, Rei Iwakura? I’m not sure of the year though.

Zach got halfway there, with nationals. Harold came close I think with 4th at Worlds after winning Nationals. :-\ I just decided on both Nationals and Worlds because the list gets shorter, and I’m sure not many signature throws in the hands of their player will make the list. Maybe we should do a separate list, one for just Nationals, and one for both Nationals and Worlds.

I wanted yusuke otsuka ( if he had a clean performance), takeshi, zach, or Lori to win but it’s ok that gentry won.

Back to the OP, the Barracuda also has a great contest record. It was used to win two divisions at 2013 worlds. Do any other yoyos have that achievement?

Actually guys, I think Gentry used a prototype of the shutter at worlds last year. He didn’t make it to finals sadly.

Off-topic point: just want to clear up that Gentry probably had plenty of time to practice on the Japan yoyo tour thing
On-topicpoint: I know some of you posted some of these names. A list of a few players: Hiroyuki S, Rei I, Takeshi S, and (maybe?) Shinji S. I’ll edit the post if I think of more.

Thanks for adding to the list. If you guys can help with the year of the wins, that would be great too. I’ll use Youtube as best I can though. Older videos are harder to find.

I think with all these “signature” yo-yos popping up, it’s good to see when a company releases one, and there is so much good that happens with it in a short period of time. For some signatures, the resume lasts for years and years, in other players’ hands as well.

Gentry is a monster. hands down close the case…The dude breathes throwing not that any other contestant at worlds doesnt…but hes been improving NON STOP his game, GJ Gentry!
And the argument with what he threw, blah blah blah…the shutter was built to elaborate on his strong points to begin with, of course he was only gonna get stronger with. Hes an amazing thrower we could have put alot of throws in his hands, and seen pretty much the same result, due to practice and precision. But since he has HIS baby, he is able to master and manipulate the golden game he already throws. PRACTICE IS THE WORD!!! If i swung the same sword and practiced with it, ied have a heck of deadly slice. YEt again CONGRATS! P.s. GREAT JOB ANNE! 4th place is a wonderful way to hold it down for the VA throwers. YOU too TYLER!

Who won JN 08 in 4a? I think Rei may have done it with three of his siggys.

Off topic: I’m pretty sure Gentry used the Shutter because it was his FAVORITE yoyo… Nuff said

On topic: The Barracuda was a siggy for Rafael Matsunaga, and not Hank or Janos’s.

Ok, seriously? Totalartist is simply saying that the Shutter will go down in history because it was used by someone who won Nationals and Worlds in the same year. This is not taking away credit or deserved fame from Gentry. YoYos like the Hitman also went down in history because it was the YoYo of preference by amazing throwers. That doesn’t make the thrower’s achievements seem any less. The Shutter does deserve to go down in throwing history, because it was the signature and preference of an extraordinary thrower. Gentry made the Shutter famous, the Shutter did not make Gentry famous. And really? Accusing YYF of making Gentry use the Shutter? That is an outrageous and stupid accusation, if I were the head of Yoyofactory, I’d want the person I sponsored to do well with a YoYo of his choosing from the Yoyofactory line, not force him down and cause him to do worse by making him use a cheaper YoYo. Also, if t was for the sales, why for a $45 YoYo? Why not a $100+ one? Gentry would not have done better had he used a more expensive YoYo, this is because the Shutter was made for him, it fits his every needs, and the Shutter already easily performs as well as more expensive yoyofactorys and even YYRs, btw, if it wasn’t for the value, I’d choose a Shutter over a Draupnir easily, because I like how the Shutter plays much more. Preference plays a large part in how someone will perform.

1 Like

The original Superstar. Ando and Kentaro both won in’08, I believe.

Yuuki Spencer used an 888 to win Nats and Worlds in '07, which was also the first year anyone won with a full metal yoyo. At least in 1A, maybe the rest of the divisions as well.

FREEHAND ZERO! Tyler took 'em both in '07, as well.

Did Jensen compete at Canadian Nationals after or before he won? I think he won before worlds with a protostar, but what about afterwards?

He won with an orange Northstar.

at nationals?