What prizes/what do you win when you become World YoYo Champion?

Besides the glory, fame and friends, what do you win? Money? YoYos? Let me know what past champions have won!

Also, has there been a champion who wasn’t sponsored?

4 Likes

Respect.

No wait Gentry gets none of that.

7 Likes

Unfortunately it does seem that way a bit.

1 Like

Last WYYC they got a jacket and a plaque.

5 Likes

Dang, I want that jacket and that plaque yo!

1 Like

For 2018 WYYC they gave out golden yo-yos; Hajime Miura used the pair they won for 3A, talk about a flex haha. timestamped link to the clip below.

5 Likes

Hahaha, that is actually pretty legit! Didn’t know about this channel. Thanks for sharing Isaac :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why did you say that :frowning:

2 Likes

Outside of the yo-yo community, not too much recognition. An appearance on local news network maybe. It must be amusing to say “I was yo-yo world champion in 2018” at a job interview not related to magic, juggling or yo-yoing… It certainly would reflect an extradorinary amount of determination annd eye hand coordination.

3 Likes

Haha I had that thought too. If I had a champion title I would absolutely mention it in a job interview

1 Like

Even inside the yoyo community Gentry doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

7 Likes

I guess if you get the title then your signature yoyo can be priced $20 more.

1 Like

I was joking at the truth. Gentry could win 3 Worlds in a row and I feel there would be folks who would not respect his accomplishment.

I mean heck, even the Netflix series “We are Champions” painted him as Johnny the Cobra Kai villain in Karate Kid.

Maybe if he invents a “sweep the leg” trick it might be different.

3 Likes

Jensen’s 2010 win made the rounds on Gawker

I remember similar sort of press for Evan Nagao’s 2018 win, here’s a Newsweek article about it:

(Plus We Are the Champions of course)

Also I know at least one of those (or maybe a different year’s win) made the front page of Reddit.

1 Like