Shutter WA Thoughts

So I’ve been playing the World Champ WA lately and while it is certainly a great yoyo, I am even more impressed at Gentry’s world win now. I have dozens of other YoYos that spin longer and are more stable. The fact that dude wins Worlds with the OG and the WA and Nats with a Replay is beyond impressive.

Anyone else have the same sentiments?

9 Likes

I don’t have the Wide Angle so I cant comment on play but I do agree with your comments. I think the Replay at Nationals is all that more impressive! He is dang good!

I’m TRYYYYING to learn from his tech combo parts 1&2 on his youtube channel. Yikes, I have a loooong way to go.

3 Likes

No potential for the chance that it’s about more than just about spin time and stability?

Gentry had the capacity to have YoYos created to any specifications existing. I mean Evan created YoYos way outside of what existed to suit his needs so it’s fair to say nothing was stopping Gentry from going there either.

Shutter offers a balance. Getting the balance right was more important than making it the most extreme. When you get to a certain level of ability you don’t need more spin. Increased inertia can rob you of ability to complete change of direction, regens and some binds. Gentry was pretty specific in his evolution of needs and you can see it in his tricks and the changes in his YoYos. He plays everything so he knows what’s available. Shutter got wider for him before worlds 2018. This was about big tricks and not so much tech. There was a trade-off. In 2019 wide angle got a little more rim weight as his combos went longer and his horizontal needed to stay there longer. It cost some agility but the construction of his routine played to the strengths not the weaknesses.

Nationals on the Replay was something else. Even if it was an organic metal yo-yo it would have been impressive. He knew the yo-yo fit his freestyle style pretty well and the compromises in spin and stability actually could enhance the choreography and performance.

Mastery.

17 Likes

This is exactly what I’m trying to suggest in my comments. It is certainly without doubt that the WA has less spin time and stability when compared to something like the Edge Beyond. The fact that Gentry hits tricks that are no less difficult on the WA confirms👇

This level of mastery is all I’m trying to point out. When you lay out all the facts including the YoYos used to win the highest levels of competition it’s hard not to include him in GOAT conversations in my opinion.

2 Likes

My thoughts on the Shutter WA are very primitive: it is too wide (for me).

2 Likes

Imagine if they made a narrower version

4 Likes