YoYoExpert Forum Community Update - October 2023

First off I want to thank everyone who wrote to me and gave their perspective on the things they love about the forum community here at YoYoExpert and for taking the time to share thoughts on how things could be either improved or better handled, guided, and structured. A LOT of people reached out and honestly it was uplifting to see so many long time users who are both still here and care so much.

Since starting YoYoExpert back in 2008 one of my favorite things has always been the strong sense of community and a lot of that comes from the forum here. People of all ages and from all walks of life come together to enjoy the simple thing we throw in so many ways whether they are a casual thrower, competitor, collector, or a little bit of everything. Many of my own best friendships have come out of the world of yoyoing and having a community where people can feel safe and supported has always been a big part of that. Making connections at its core is one of the best parts about being a yoyo enthusiast.

In addition we often seek yoyo and throwing as a way to detach from the stresses of life and come to a place that you can be immersed in and enjoy what you love. Our goal at YoYoExpert has always been to focus on that. When we first started the forum community too the internet was a very different place. I remember one of my first posts was explaining to people what ‘Twitter’ was! Fast forward 15 years of internet evolution I acknowledge times have changed and with that sometimes it can be a harder balance to strike in both allowing for productive conversation and maintaining a positive and uplifting community for everyone. (But when people ask about set rules we used to have about proper grammar/punctuation or foreign language allowances just keep in mind how different the internet is today!)

In evaluating what came to be over the past few months a few themes emerged. One was that people care A LOT about the community at large here (and elsewhere in yoyo) and that goes for both the moderators and the people being moderated. There is no evil agenda here (promise - we love yoyos and try to grow and support it every way we can) and often our goal in moderating is very much to maintain positive conversation and attitudes - trying to uplift and maintain a sense of joy, safety, and again community. With that said moderating is a very difficult (and often thankless) job that is difficult to strike the right balance in complicated situations and its not always clear cut. It definitely takes a team and different perspectives involved.

We have spoken quite a bit internally about ways we can move forward from here to best support the expectations of the community and after talking with many of you the path is clear and honestly everyone here at YoYoExpert (both my team in house and those online as moderators) see this as a great opportunity to improve things for a stronger community into the future.

Here is how we plan to go about this.

• We will do our best to be more aware and vigilant of anyone actively ‘trolling’ or being negative on the forum (and discord) towards a specific person or individual. Obviously constructive criticism and conversations are going to happen but it needs to stay constructive and we will try to be more mindful of those who attempt to consistently do nothing but try to upset everyone else for their personal gain.
  • I will attempt to build a better process for people to reach both my in house YoYoExpert team and the moderation team directly when they are upset something (or feel we need to be better informed) or to react to something being deleted or moderated. Our goals above are clear and sometimes moderation is needed to preserve them and we can always learn as a team. We are all human trying to enjoy ourselves here and conversation should happen in a respectful manner whether that is on the forum or directly about an issue that arises.
  • I will soon launch applications for people to join our moderation team (as forum moderators here as well as moderators for the discord). We will evaluate based on some interview style questions, previous experience, and from that work to build a balanced team to help include added perspectives and move forward in a more level headed approach.
  • Following the many conversations I had over the past few days some users have been removed from the forum and some brought back following the incidents of last week. I will be in communication with them directly about this.
  • I do want to be clear and re-emphasize again - publicly berating or making fun of anyone on the forum (mods very much included in this) is completely unacceptable. We can and will be better than that here.

I very much welcome continued feedback directed to me and look forward to continuing to make this the wonderful community it really is. Thank YOU for being part of that.

82 Likes

You tha man Andre. We appreciate what you and your team do for all of us. :heart::heart::fire::fire:

14 Likes

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (full sentence)

23 Likes

As someone who’s been here from the very start, and seen all the changes and comings and going, I’m glad to see things are being taken seriously.
Much love :purple_heart:

17 Likes
9 Likes

#eossweep

god king eos for mod

9 Likes

SPENCE FOR MOD!
:triumph:

Let it be so

10 Likes

Thanks André! I hope these changes last and make the forums and the discord a better space for yoyo.

8 Likes

I joined this forum a decade ago when I was 13 before I knew how to do trapeze. There were a lot more kids and younger people on the forum back then. Over the years, the younger generation have mostly migrated to other platforms as forums have slowly taken a backseat. I still enjoy the format of forums a lot as I believe it’s the best platform for having and archiving meaningful discussions so I’m very much glad that the forums still exist but admittedly haven’t been the biggest fan of the moderation and culture in recent years and I think it is partially the reason why many younger members tend to prefer other platforms now. I’m glad to see that we’ll soon have some fresh members on the moderation team that I’m optimistic will bring a new perspective to the forums’ moderation. It’s nice to see that changes are actually happening and hopefully this will have a positive effect for this community as a whole.

#eossweep

12 Likes

I love this place and I love you all :heart:

Good to be back :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

29 Likes

Cant wait to see how this goes.

My comment - I feel some topics are shut down prematurely.

Conflict of opinion is natural. And when disagreements and discussion is happening in a “Productive” and “Mature” manner, I think the thread should continue.

Its these sometimes difficult conversations that are the greatest opportunity for growth and learning.

Maybe learning to see something from a different perspective or angle. Or trying to understand “Why” a person may “feel” the way they do.

I am agreeing that there should never be personal attacks or slander.

Open discussion is the goal, not sensorship.

Thank you for your time.

9 Likes

André Boulay = My Father

For any help I am always available, close to one year in this forum logging in daily and literally saved my life, happy to give something back in any possible way!

10 Likes

@AndreBoulay thanks for making a place all us misfits can fit in

7 Likes

I’d like mods to be a bit quicker at spotting problematic stuff. Watching Ben get away with a transphobic joke right before the tread got locked as others were discussing the laws trying to get passed in Arizona that would criminalize trans people competing was heart breaking in so many ways.

15 Likes

This, and be more willing to hand out punishments when the time calls for it so they know their behaviour is unacceptable - 1 day, 4 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, and then a permaban, or some sort of system like that for repeated offenses would be great instead of letting people go way too far and then finally reluctantly banning them.

7 Likes

Sounds like a process needs to be put together and made public so everyone knows what to expect.

Process is always a good thing it’s my day job…

4 Likes

Please all remember this famous quote moving forward and remember that the moderators here are only people and are only capable of so much. Good communication, a respect for other people’s humanity, and an earnest desire to dignify others in the same way you you’d like to be dignified is the responsibility of every individual who wishes to be an active member of any community. It’s the only way that humans avoid war.

JPEG image

14 Likes

Thanks for a well-thought-out response and all the hard work you and the mod team do.

7 Likes

Sorry for making running a yoyo forum so unnecessarily hard. That also being said thanks for giving us a platform to unite with.

9 Likes

Honestly as far as yoyo communities go - I truly believe with this community here we have had one of the best in terms of people caring, showing respect, and building real relationships. And when you meet up with people in person at an event and already have connections from online here - it is a great reminder that there is so much more to everyone. In general moderating any modern day internet/social media/conversation channel is very hard - but this is so very much worth the energy. :blush:

35 Likes