Yoyo-Related Injuries

I have hit my face and lip that got swollen. I also cracked one of the lenses on a pair of glasses that I still haven’t repaired. I still walk around with cracked glasses.

2 Likes

This is a sick thread, man.

1 Like

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/04/5a8ba9be5298b4a6837d3732755ef215.jpg #yoyodamage this is my worst

bad binding means that I the yoyo will stop short and band my elbow as that’s the perfect distance… bruises are not fun.

And I’ve knocked my glasses off numerous times.

a couple weeks back, threw my Bvm2 ultra hard…it hit me on the cheeck bone hard enough to split me wide open. after a few butterfly bandages i was good to go rocking a new life scar from a yoyo.

its still a little sore to the touch…probably could have used a few stiches

Your worst ‘Yoyo-Related Injuries’ are nothing like my worst.

I once accidently wrapped a yoyo around the neck while fooling around and I nearly choked to death. After the yo-yo was untangled from the neck my friend rushed me to the hospital and I stayed for some time, maybe like 4 days. After the 4 days were up the doctors told me I was fine and I wasn’t going to die.

I bought a much more efficient yoyo from a store, and I’m having much more fun with it. This was literally like 20 years ago or something. All I can remember is when I came out of the hospital alive.

Things could have been worse, I could have died. I’ve been laying in the hospital hoping I’d survive.

DEATH BY YOYO!

It only happened once. I’m a pro now, when this took place I was relatively new to yoyoing. My earliest yoyoing memories were in the late eighties. After some years of practicing and getting the hang of some cool tricks, in '98 I surfed the web trying to find a video source to register for an account and post a video of me showing off the cool tricks I knew and loved. I typed in ‘online video sources’ in Google. I had no luck.

So, let not I get too off topic here. I once stepped on a yoyo I had and I didn’t even know it was there. This was on the staircase, when I freaked out, I didn’t even have time to hold the bannister, I fell face down the stairs face down. We had a short staircase back at our old place in Iowa in the US. I was okay the next day.

It never hurts too much but you always seem to laugh at yourself when you do, i thought that always funny

Sorry for the necro posting guys, but I didn’t see the need to open a new post.

I usually see people speaking about “visible” injuries and damage from the yoyo itself to the body but I never heard about people suffering about “subtle and invisible injuries” the very evil type like carpal tunnel, tendonitis, tennis elbow and similar stuff.
Coming from the music world those injuries are the most common ones between musicians and are very awful, nerves and tendons take ages to heal and you find yourself stuck for month without play your instrument.

I always wondered if this ever happened with yoyoing, lot of us play for long hours everyday but I never hear about those type of diseases, I wondered it is because while yoyoing we do “big movement” and the finger mostly are a sort of “stick” where the string wrap around, the major strain I think it can come from the wrist throwing a powerful sleep in side throw but not more than that honestly, other than that we stay stand up in a natural straight position that doesn’t charge weight on the back, so I also never heard of back pain from just playing yoyo while in music is the most common pain.

Do you know anyone that ever had issues with those type of injuries only related to yoyo?

5 Likes

I think finger and hand related injuries and conditions would be the most common. One of the issues I deal with is dry, cracked skin on my hands. I’ve dealt with this for years even before picking up yoyoing, so it’s nothing new, but yoyo string rubbing against my hands for hours a day hasn’t helped the situation. I gotta keep applying hand cream throughout the day to keep the skin from breaking.

I’ve also seen how Dazzling Dave got nerve damage in his finger from many many years of doing yoyo demonstrations, so that’s something to be aware of.

4 Likes

Just was working on vertical binds. It hasn’t been 10 minutes and it already got this huge ball of a welt. Give it a few days and I’ll edit this with an update. It’s definitely going to be a good black and blue mark :joy: Vertical binds are so awkward.

Definitely had some hand aches and pains from yoyo smacking into it repeatedly,

for the dry skin I recommend a beeswax balm like rock climbers use, it fixes the dryness but keeps the callus more or less intact rather than softening the skin like some creams can
(obviously climbers value their callused palms so they don’t get flappers on sharp rocks)

1 Like

That’s interesting. My Dry skin is tricky for me to deal with. Don’t feel like I can throw with lotion or damp hands from washing, but if I don’t use lotion all day during the winter, my hands are so dry and cracked, the yoyo string will cut my skin, leading to days of no throwing or having to keep changing out bandaids to throw a little here and there. The cuts are often on my throw hand first finger, where the 1.5 mount wraps. Fabric Bandaids are ok, but still make tricks feel weird and slightly off.

Clipped my eyebrow decently well earlier this morning. Pretty bloody like all face injuries but not too deep or long a laceration. Kept playing for a while after that and it looks okay now. Also,

^try gloves. Takes like 15 mins or so to get used to but then it’s worth it.

5 Likes

Got myself right in the nerve in my right elbow. Extremely painful, dropped me to my knees. My whole arm went numb, especially my hand and fingers. Took a little while before I could move my fingers right again. They were tingly for weeks. My nerve in my arm was also super sensitive for months. Any little bump would shoot pain down my arm. Probably a little bit of permanent damage with that one.

2 Likes

Your daily reminder to always check your string and do a safety throw after a weird bind. I’m honestly just happy I’m not taking a trip to the dentist right now :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

I’m also happy I didn’t need to go to the dentist, but I still went to the doctor…
The suspect yo-yo was sold later that week :joy:

6 Likes

That’s a deep one :joy: don’t worry I have a scar above my eye from the same exact thing years ago, you’d think we’d learn and remember to be more careful by now

I was definitely shook that a yo-yo could do that. The scar is fading slowly with the help of bio oil, its a bit better now

I do safety throws alot more often :joy:

3 Likes