Yoyo Colorway Game Is .. Not Strong

OK so there’s a great topic here showing off awesome colorways:

But I was thinking… what about the opposite? What are some colorways you’ve seen that were… uh… particularly … not strong?

:mega: To be clear, most all yo-yo colorways are awesome these days! I want to keep this positive, and I realize a lot of this comes down to personal preference. It’s just for fun and all in good cheer!

So I’m not saying unattractive per se, just… these are the colorways that consistently sell out last, if you know what I mean? The colorways you happen to see for resale more often.The … er… um… runts of the litter, if you will? :wink:

For whatever reason, I’ve seen a ton of these “Cosmic Ray” G squareds for sale. G2 has such awesome colorways across the board but this one… I dunno.

I also think the 7075 Skyvas were exceedingly meh, such that I would have maybe preferred a solid which I almost never do (not really a solids guy). I still own one though!

9 Likes

The 7075 Skyvas are the most incipid looking yoyos I’ve seen in a while.

There are also a few overly standardised solid colours that I have seen around for a while. One of them is a dark blue that is on many yoyos that I really find drab. I also find gold really boring. I usally dislike silver or black splashed with a single colour.

I think colourways have really improved of late.

5 Likes

Aha, just found this topic Color ways that you don't care for in the slightest which reminded me… I have to say, I’ve also seen this colorway before and it stayed in stock for a loooong time.

In fact I just checked and it is still for sale at another yoyo store right this second :rofl: don’t all rush over there at once people!

Some of the older monkeyfinger stuff does look a bit like an explosion at the splash factory :wink:

image image

To defend monkeyfinger’s honor their recent stuff all looks great!

6 Likes

Those colours sure are ugly.

Sometimes, less is more.

8 Likes

I don’t know, those crazy splash MonkeyfingeR colors look pretty great spinning. Fun fact - The first “in motion” picture I took was of the Monkeyfinger Evil Yo because it looked so cool spinning. We started doing the motion pictures regularly after that.

As far as recent colors I wasn’t a fan of…
Hipster-Highlife-Foodie-1_1024x1024

Fun yo-yo and I love orange, but this one just missed the mark. :confused:

5 Likes

Pumpkin Spice is everywhere these days. [Thinks to self, oh, maybe a new string color??? Nah.]

1 Like

Some folks may have found the nickel colorway not too strong…

20170626_210643

:slight_smile:

db

16 Likes

I don’t like the nickel at all. I think it’s because it’s too silvery and shiny.

3 Likes

It kinda looks like a pepperoni pizza! :wink:

Also @cmg you’re crazy, Nickel is a super classy colorway. Timeless!

This also reminded me that the OneDrop “sacred lotus” colorway is almost always the one that stays in stock the longest… it is not liked by many people.

4 Likes

Pretty sure he was just joshin’. That’s his (incredible!) collection.

4 Likes

I think I have yet to come across a brown colorway or brown splash colorway that I like

2 Likes

I agree that brown can be kinda uninspiring but I dunno, moon lord terrarian is pretty hype! Plus woodland squirrel for clyw, and although it’s not super my thing, the “camo” look can be nice sometimes.

1 Like

I dunno if people agree with me on this one but I never really like the way purple + blue + red + silver turn out when spinning. They look nice when they’re not spinning, though.
IMG_7430
IMG_7431
It’s weird because though because I love purple + blue + pink. I love the CLYW every berry colorway but I don’t really care too much for the berry melt colorway.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure those colorways sell out quite fast though. I had a hard time getting the red/blue splash Edge 1.0 a while ago.

Yeah I guess they’re still pretty good but sometimes there’s too much silver and it dulls down the color. Some people probably like that though.

Unpopular opinion…I dont really like halfswaps…

5 Likes

The question isn’t what one likes, it is what sells, as in, which colorways and yoyos remain in stock the longest on the store page. :wink:

1 Like

This one… shall we say … jumped out at me

I can’t say that I miss the YoYoJam “aesthetic” very much.

3 Likes

I need more raw yoyos in my life

2 Likes

I feel you
Half swaps SUCK

3 Likes