Yoyo Colorway Game Is .. Not Strong

I really like one drop yo-yos, but I personally think that their splash game is the weakest in the market. I don’t really like any of them. The acid washes and fades can be all right, but not the splashes.

3 Likes

Is this a acid wash or splash? Either way it is my favorite colorway in my collection. I rarely throw it tho. 20190107_134029

2 Likes

Interesting! I agree there is a bit of a formula to their splashes at this point, but they are still mostly great.

ICUH8N

Also @Z_Car that looks like a combination of acid wash and splash to my :eye:

3 Likes

Let’s call it ‘splashidwash’.

3 Likes

I’ve never been a fan of those monkeyfinger splashes. Just not my style. Not really into the One Drop ones either. Then again, I’m not a huge fan of splashes in general,s o I might not be the right guy to ask.

5 Likes

I feel like the best data here is the few brands where solids and complex splashes are the same price, whatever sells more is more objectively popular by the metric of cold hard cash monies :money_with_wings:

In general solids are cheaper which er… COLORS*… the results. I can see plenty of people saying “I would prefer a splash, but I’d rather have more yo-yos or more money in my pocket, and solids are good enough”

* wink wink nudge nudge

2 Likes

That camo-looking Yoyojam is dope! I’m not really super into color splashes but that one is awesome.

I’m meh with every MFD splash too…

On second thought, I’m meh with nearly all splashes, except for some speckled ones such as the Edge blue with white speckles. But the MFD colors I’m not fond of especially, maybe I just don’t like a LOT of complement colors crashed together in a very crazy and complex and random pattern…

3 Likes

On the other hand, I think results are going to be COLORED by the fact that most yoyos are going to have different demand rates throughout their production lifespan. Something hot and new and rare will sell in any color pretty quickly. But something older or less popular or easily purchased probably won’t.

2 Likes

Possibly! But as we saw with the CLYW Metal Yeti and the MFD Conspiracy, there is a very clear skew towards colors that people prefer, the more preferred colors/colorways sell out dramatically faster.

(Gold was the big loser in the Yeti case, if you are curious.)

1 Like

How do people not like MFD splashes???

2 Likes

Aside from the too much color and contrast factor, the thin lines running everywhere is probably another reasons that I don’t like MFD’s colorwats.

2 Likes

I’m in the “don’t like” camp. I just feel like someone said “how much can we fit on here”.

5 Likes

It’s an acquired taste, but I feel the more recent MFD anos are notably better than the early ones. You do have to embrace the “all the toppings at once” bagel aesthetic to like it though. I wouldn’t ever pick it as my first choice but it has a certain originality and charm of its own.

3 Likes

This.

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Car finishes vs. Yo-yo finishes

I love the Astrea to bits but I really … don’t know what C3 was thinking with these particular colorways and engraving

4 Likes

Looks like space puke. :sparkles:

6 Likes

Id have to see it in person, but it looks kind of cool to me. Though the white engravings don’t pop enough and kind of just blend into the back, which kinda defeats the purpose.

My submission is the Hotdiggidy (first run) in red. I guess there is nothing really too wrong with the color, but the yoyo shape along with the text reminds me of a fire hydrant. I guess this could be a pro for some, but I don’t like it. It’s ugly.

10 Likes

So you rigged it up for 5a with the hopes of beating the tar out of it. Nice

3 Likes