Car finishes vs. Yo-yo finishes

To my mind, yoyo finishes are like automobile finishes. Most solid color finishes are classy and beautiful, like this:

superleggera

Whereas most splashes and washes and wild graphic finishes are tacky and ugly, like this:

DedqO5GU8AAtJj5

Which of the two you prefer probably says a lot more about you than you realize. :thinking: :wink:

5 Likes

I disagree with the second example, which is absurdly extreme. I think a better one isā€¦

half-swap

Splashes

More here!

http://www.artcar.bmwgroup.com/en/art-car/

5 Likes

Yeah, all of those are fuuuuuuglyā€¦ :wink:

And that first one would only represent half-swap if the two right/left halves of the car were different colors, which would look absurd.

2 Likes

With a light blue string Iā€™d love it!!!

Nickel is what you pull out of your black tux jacket pocket at a wedding reception so you can do sweet tricks for grandmothers. It looks classy!

3 Likes

meh, I probably would only accept maxium of something like this :joy:
25a9

3 Likes

Speaking of two halvesā€¦

ā€œNow, count up your sins!ā€

4 Likes

Youā€™re alive???

I always hated Hulk Smashā€¦

EWW! :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I was thinking about this some more and the analogy breaks down.

One thing I love about auto finishes is that THEY LOOK SPARKLY METALLIC, which is kinda awesome. Anodized aluminum really doesnā€™t; itā€™s just a flat ā€¦ bleh ā€¦ color. I was thinking of this because @yoyospirit bounced his awesome topic, and I mean just :eyes: LOOK AT THESE BEAUTIES

If a ā€œsolid color yo-yoā€ looked like that, @zslane, Iā€™d be all over it like freakinā€™ white on rice.

But it donā€™t. (Maybe it should though?)

1 Like

I can see what youā€™re saying. Solid colours really could look a whole lot better. Even today they still look really average. We need more variety in solid colours that are more interesting.

This, to me, is an example of a more unique solid colour.

1 Like

While I agree that solid finishes arenā€™t perfect, splashes and washes and swirls are not the answer! And the main problem with highly reflective finishes is the issues they create for grind tricks. Other than that, I think they look spectacular.

Yeah anodized aluminum is the least interesting looking metal finish there is. All dull and flat and ā€¦ freakinā€™ boring. I woud like to see a whole lot more of this:

If you donā€™t think that looks amazing and way better than a boring old solid matte anodizationā€¦ I regret to inform you that some part of the light inside you has died. RIP that light.

Thatā€™s also why I think nickel plated looks good, as well as copper plated! Donā€™t make me show pics of my half-swapped nickel/copper Deep State again! BECAUSE I WILL :wink:

4 Likes

And this from @mullicabob. I HAVE NO WORDS FOR HOW INCREDIBLE THESE LOOK. Do you have any idea how much Iā€™d pay for a yo-yo with this kind of true metallic auto-like finish? :money_mouth_face:

Boring flat anodized alu can suck it, as far as Iā€™m concerned.

5 Likes

Wow.

1 Like

Absolutely. When compared to the above pics of metallic finishes that, yā€™know, look metallic? I mean itā€™s no contest.

2 Likes

Haha I have yet to figure out how he achieved this

1 Like

It looks like clear coat with additives to me?

Anyway his whole topic is EPIC, I just spent 3 hours cleaning that topic up by hand ā€¦ and it was worth it!

I highly recommend checking it out:

But what about fadesā€¦ I like fades.

That one was for @zslane :kiss:

But seriously! Two tone fade!

Also hereā€™s another take on half-swappingā€¦

5 Likes

Yoyos arenā€™t cars. Splashy cars look dumb, and splashy yoyos look beautiful.

4 Likes