Are One Drop splashes too .. similar?

Smiley recently said something that I had kinda been thinking for a while.

A lot of the One Drop splashes seem to have a particular “formula”, where it’s a base color with two colors splashed across it, e.g. the three yo-yos at bottom left here on their latest release, the Virtuoso:

Or here, with the Dang 2

I tend to agree that this particular formula gets … monotonous.

Now, this isn’t a global criticism of all onedrop splashes – and as Smiley pointed out, their combo acid wash + splashes are excellent, as are the fades.

They also sometimes do unique splashes, which are awesome. Check out this very cool one they did for a Hungarian yo-yo store recently, and compare it with the “formula” splash …

And I’ve always loved this rare “Belmont” splatter:

And who can forget these awesome (presumably gruntbull) swirls?

So I guess this is my call to One Drop – can we see more unique splashes / acid washes / splatters from y’all and maybe a teeny tiny bit less of the “two splashes over a base” forumula one?

5 Likes

I like solids.

6 Likes

Agreed. I don’t like most of there splashes but I do like there solids and basically everything else

3 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

What about their Par Avion non-solids? Those are pretty non-standard imo.

2 Likes

Dude, that Hungarian one is freaking sweet. Why does Hungary get all the dope stuff?

Oh God, these are first world problems, aren’t they? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Splashing is literally the most fun step of anodizing by far.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Not gonna lie that’s pretty much how I pictured myself saying it :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah yes but now you’re an adult

4 Likes

Don’t care much for splashes myself. Prefer solid colors or raw.

3 Likes

Ask and you shall receive:

9 Likes

We offer:

Solids
Fades
Solid base with 1 color splash or speckles
Solid base with 2 color splash and/or speckles
2 color acid wash
2 color acid wash with 3rd color splash or speckles
“Saturday Market” style (the YYE Par Avion in the above photo is an example)
Swirl
Another new anodizing technique (examples are Swamp Ooze and Pond Scum)
“Bleach Splash” - seen on Terrarians and Krakens

Something to note as well, the two examples shown (Virtuoso and DANG2) are both 7075. 7075 presents challenges to anodizers and solid base with splash tends to work the best there so that’s a reason on those models why you see more of that.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed that a lot of your 7075 yoyos come glossy, except for ones like the 5000qv. Is it more difficult to anodized 7075 that’s been bead basted?

2 Likes

No, bead blast shouldn’t affect it. More recently our anodizer is able to do more types of ano on 7075 so things are improving there.

5 Likes

Very cool. Can you guys bring back Belmont as well? I miss it!

1 Like

Change is good for the soul…

1 Like

I second this. Belmont is classy af

1 Like

Belmont was a colorway that we did for Static with the Parlay release. They named it and sold them all. I think because of that we didn’t think about doing on any of our stuff. I’ll talk to them and if they don’t mind, we’ll do it for sure.

9 Likes

Thumbs up on recent OD releases having more unique colorways in addition to “the formula splashes”.

5 Likes