I do want to first acknowledge I still do not necessarily agree with how this has played out on our forum. It is rare and unprecedented circumstances that I let it happen on the forum here and I still have mixed feelings about the situation. However as most have learned there were determined individuals involved and I felt it important that if I can try to direct money towards doing something positive and community growth oriented that I would - so this is the plan and proposal. And regardless I appreciate the opportunity to have some resources to put towards this.
So - with the proceeds from this I have proposed to do the following:
YoYo Club Grant Program
Goal: To provide physical and educational materials to people looking to start a yoyo club or workshop in their local community (libraries, schools, YMCA, Boys & Girls Clubs, camps, stores, etc).
How: Applicants will fill out a form with information on where they plan to start the club, how many people they expect (no number is too small), venue, and background. We will help approve applications and send out full ‘starter kit’ of supplies.
Why: Many people have an idea that they want to start a club but don’t have the resources or have concerns with best practices to teach, etc. We have a program we are confident is a great way to introduce people to yoyo and keep them on track to discover modern tricks fast.
Trick program and cards has been piloted locally at our toy store here in Northampton with great success!
Club starter set supplies include:
- Case packed with beginner yoyos per grant application request. (More can be purchased at discount).
- Spare backup string.
- Trick cards including Levels 1, 2 and 3 (4 and 5 available upon request).
- Lanyards that trick cards can hang on (and place to keep yoyo all together)
- Club attendance card punch card program via YoYoExpert.
- Special access to private area on forum for ‘club organizers’ to ask questions and get help/support.
- Ability for club organizer to obtain ‘award’ pins for people completing Level 1 through Level 5.
- Guidance on best practices to teach and introduce yoyoing.
Award Pins Mockup:
I don’t have an exact timeline but I think this should be ready to go towards the end of the summer and I look forward to rolling it out!