Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Love this. Thicker titanium rings and a D bearing would make me wanna claim this as a signature throw :rofl:

(Not that I have the chops to back it up… yet)

2 Likes

The diameter is only slightly bigger than average, but that coupled with the large width made me expect a heavier weight. I’m a fan of yoyos going >56mm for dia, so I like that touch (I also like the thumb grind lip/groove on the new design).

Thanks for sharing the programs - I’ll have to check those out!

1 Like

I also know some people use Freecad to design and Blender to render.

1 Like

Really digging the thumb groove.

My only suggestion would be to make the steel rims flush with the aluminum so that the catch zone is smooth. The string might get hung up on the rims the way it is now, and it could also be a little uncomfortable on catch.

1 Like

I had an idea yesterday to have a system kind of like onedrop side effects but instead of side effects you could screw on different hubs or rims. Ex. Flat hub, Fingerspin Hub, Hub w Spike etc. Ex. Monometal Rims, Bimetal Rims, Inner Ring Bimetal Rims, Different Material Rims/ Different Bimetal Material Rims. I soon realized this is going to be a little more difficult to design than I thought though so I don’t have a working CAD file yet to show. It might be a little while before you see it however I was wonder what kinds of ideas people might have to give me inspiration.

4 Likes

I read this post a while back from @GTDropKnot

I thought I would try experimenting with a heavier yo-yo. Will make a less center weighted version in the future.

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Diameter: 56mm
Half Weight: ~38.55gms
Assembled Weight: ~80.01192gms
MMOI: 18133
Body: 7075 Aluminum
Rims: 303 Stainless Steel
Axle: M4 x 8mm x 0.7mm

However, I also wanted to know what the yoyo would be like if it were more competition oriented/less heavy so I made another yoyo.

Specs:
Half Weight: ~30.09gms
Assembled Weight: ~63.099gms
MMOI: 17284
Body: 7075 Aluminum

Thoughts/Criticism?

3 Likes

I would say that your heavy design just throws on a TON of centerweight while most heavy yoyos spread the weight distribution out across the yoyo to sort of retain the ratio of center to mid to rimweight

4 Likes

Yeah, your right, I will probably make a refined heavy design with better weight distribution in the future.

1 Like

Haven’t done Yoyo CAD in a while because my primary software to sketch yoyo guts locked their export features behind a paywall, but I found a workaround and came up with this

9 Likes

Looks cool! Did you use fusion 360 to design it? What are the Specs?

I only used Fusion for the rendering.
Specs:
7075 + SS
10mm Axle
Average wall thickness: 1.5 mm
Diameter: 56 mm
Width: ~50 mm
Weight: ~67 g

1 Like

Specs:
Diameter: 51mm
Width: 46mm
Half Weight: ~32.54gms
Assembled Weight: ~68gms
MMOI: 15699
Body Material: 7068 Aluminum
Axle: M4 x 10mm x 0.7mm
Bearing: Size C

Experiment with completely wrap around rims.
Thoughts/Criticism anyone?

1 Like

Im curious why you don’t just use Fusion 360 for both? Is it easier to design with Onshape?

Well… When I was first learning CAD I tried a bunch of free CAD programs but Onshape was the easiest to use for me. Everything felt intuitive and did what I wanted it to. Fusion 360 works great but it just felt clunkier and less polished in my opinion. When I started wanting to render yo-yos I realized I couldn’t do it with a free Onshape subscription so I used fusion for that.

Onshape is also completely cloud based so you could work on a yo-yo in collaboration with someone else at the same time through it. It is also browser based so I don’t need to download anything and I can use it anywhere on whatever computer I want.

2 Likes

Old design I made for a good friend revisited. This is the shape I was supposed to go for with my previous render, but a full-bodied outer ring bimetal is difficult to pull off for a curved shape.

Specs:
7075 + SS
10mm axle
Average wall thickness: 1.25 mm
Diameter: ~57mm
Width: ~47.6mm
Weight: ~65-66g

6 Likes

Specs:
Half Weight: ~32.548gms
MMOI: 18668
Body Material: 7075 Aluminum
Outer Ring Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Inner Ring Material: Brass

Specs:
Half Weight: ~32.539gms
MMOI: 18958
Rim Material: 303 Stainless Steel

Specs:
Half Weight: ~32.575gms
MMOI: 17870
Rim Material: Brass

Specs:
Half Weight: ~32.519gms
MMOI: 16513

Which is your favorite:

• Trimetal
  • Outer Ring Bimetal
  • Inner Ring Bimetal
  • Monometal
  • I hate all of them.
0 voters

Thoughts/Criticism?

4 Likes

Made a D Bearing yoyo. Not too sure if the specs are right. Does this look right to anyone?

Specs:
Half Weight: ~29.28gms
MMOI: 13612
Bearing: Size D
Response: “Standard” 19mm

I also don’t know how much a D Bearing and axle weigh so I can’t give assembled weight. Does anyone know the weight?

2 Likes

The gap between the bearing and response seems like it might be off(?)

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that catch. Does this look better? The gap width should be 4.5mm now.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. It’s not the gap width, but the width of the space between the bearing seat and the inner diameter of the response groove.

It’s much thinner on you C bearing designs.

1 Like