Your Yo-Yos With Longevity... the Holdouts!

that’s good - i prefer throws that are not as wide anyway… thanks for the info bud!

Pun intended? :smiley:

2 Likes

For sure!

2 Likes

One yoyo that checks this box is my special second run 5 Star Ernie made for me.

5star.c2

9 Likes

@hobbygod I just love your post! I often only skim long posts at best. Yours I skimmed first, but now I’ve read it several times.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like it. I think I have a story for almost every yoyo I own, whether i won it from a contest, suddenly came back in stock, trade, etc. Its part of the experience for me and eventually I’d like to pass them down to my kids (whether they decide to yoyo or not) and be able to share those stories with them.

4 Likes

I have a set but I used them to turn a spintastics manta ray into a “C” bearing yoyo. Works great.

2 Likes

Obviously my YYJ HM collection. Also my Fluchs, G&E 4, and Pyro Lite rate right at the top of my list. Also my Dif-E-Yo GTO, as well as my TK and BC collection.

4 Likes

this! i’m finding more and more throws i retain all have unique stories behind them. one that came in yesterday, the name had a personal attachment to my family :grin:

I’ve posted this before, but this one lives on my hip most days. I’ve had it for at least 20 years. It was my grail back in the day, and took a while to find. I’m so glad I still have it around. I’ve also got one half of my very first Spintastics Technic that I picked up sometime around '95 that I keep around for sentimental reasons.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, how does a 20-year old Silver Bullet compare/differ with a modern Silver Bullet 2?

2 Likes

Here’s my oldest yoyo: Came-Yo Moonstar

I bought it back in '98. It was my first metal yoyo. The black rubber rings on the rims did not stand the tooth of time.

6 Likes

There are two things that i am keeping for a long time - Cold Metal Gun and Rhody-o Ooch Groove, which i bought in 2008 and 2010 respectively.

4 Likes

Well the main thing is the 2 has a bearing, the original doesn’t. It has a wood sleeve.

4 Likes

I’ve only been at this a year and a half, but out of my collection, my Hummingbird is by far the longest lasting.

1 Like

I really like posts like this, they get me to go back and look at the treasures in my collection. I have a few throws that I would consider “timeless”, the one I go back to more than the others though is the Onedrop Rebirth. It wasn’t my first throw, or even my first Onedrop throw, but I can always go back to it and feel completely comfortable. It’s also my go to when trying to learn a new trick or master a new combo.

2 Likes

There are a few in my arsenal that I’ll never part with. A few that come to mind are:

General Yo 1st run Hat Trick:
My first General Yo, it’s a joy to throw, and I think it always will be. The Hat Trick is everything I look for in a yoyo, a little undersized, organic, floaty, light, it’s just sublime.

A-rt Grail:
I was able to get a Grail about a year after I started throwing. It was my first hard to get, highly regarded yoyo. The Grail is a singular yoyo. I traded that one last year and realized the error of my ways. I got another one a month ago, and it felt like I was visiting an old friend.

BC Apollo fixie:
There isn’t anything overly special about this one. I just love the way it plays. I have several more modern fixies and, in my book, the Apollo out plays all of them for some reason. Maybe it’s because they’re relatively easy to come by and inexpensive so I throw it without worrying about it’s resale value or damaging it. I just freely throw it.

SPYY El Ranchero:
I got to try an El Ranchero at a local meetup and it felt like nothing I’ve ever thrown. Right then, I knew I had to have one. That was the throw that started my SPYY obsession. I don’t have as many SPYY throws as I used to, but I know I’ll never part with that one.

3 Likes

I can’t really judge, since my SB2 is dated from 1998. :laughing: But, yeah, the original Silver Bullet is a wood axle. I don’t have the Turbo Disks for it, so its response is a just a touch on the unpredictable side, but easily managed with string tension. I’m not sure I have a fixie that can beat it for sleep time, and it’ll loop, and do what little 0A I know. The SB2 is not too different, really. I’ve got the disks in it, so response is solid, and it’s very tunable to get it just how you like it. Sleep time is, as one would expect, much longer than the original Bullet, otherwise plays really similarly. They are different enough that I’m glad to have both, and they are both beautifully designed and manufactured machines.

2 Likes

One of my biggest yoyo regrets is that I no longer have my first ever yoyo. I’ll always remember my dad coming home from work and handing me that blue Yomega Power Spin. I used it so much that the plastic axle post part just sheared off from the rest of the yoyo and I must have thrown it away. I could kick 12yo me for not hanging onto it now. I do, however, still have the Fireball I talked my dad into replacing it with… red with black caps.

My first non-plastic yoyo, my Henry’s Viper is also very special to me.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wish I still had my original ProYo from when I was a kid in the late '70s.

2 Likes