Your Yo-Yos With Longevity... the Holdouts!

I’m curious, what throws in you cats’ collections/cases are withstanding the test of time? I’m not saying that you’re keeping them for sentimental reasons, but that you can always count and have always been able to?

It doesn’t have to be your ‘best’ yoyo, a grail, or anything like that. But, something you’ve had, maybe for ages, that you just couldn’t BST because you’re like, “man, this is awesome, i may not find it again… i just have to keep it.”. It’s maybe a great player, great feel, unique… something about it.

We have a community with members who have been collecting maybe months, years, and generations. Within those, there are collections and pieces spanning likewise. What are the holdouts - taking emotion out of it? What are your anti-grail collectives?

6 Likes

I have an old yomega xbrain from about 98 in yellow. I know now we all laugh at an auto return yoyo but at the time in 5th grade if it didn’t say yomega and make that horrible sound you were a nobody! That kind of started the ball rolling into transaxle throws for me and the rest falls into place as advancements were made.

5 Likes

this made me laugh so hard :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t bst anything :joy: i had a bad bst experience when I was young so I only buy now. I have a few special throws that I’ll post in a bit.

4 Likes

ahhh, that’s a bummer…looking forward to your post!

1 Like

Most of these for me are probably grails for a lot of others. My first run hulk smash Peak, YWET’s, 2014 Sasquatch, Fluchs, Copper Parlay, .

But I’ve also got several Freehands that I love to play, FHZ’s and FH2’s. I’ve also got a Duncan version of the Bumblebee GT, had a different name though that I can’t remember. I made custom caps for it, it’s a great player. And then there are a number of No Jives, and my Curriers.

As I’m typing this and mentally going through my collection I think most of my collection, the ones that I’ve got in cases at least, all fall into the category you’ve mentioned. I’ve gotten to this point that if it doesn’t fall into the “I absolutely need to own this yoyo,” I let them go.

4 Likes

G2 AL7 Banshee.
Every single time I pick that thing up I’m instantly reminded of how much of an amazing throw it is. I’ve yet to be blown away by any other yo like the Banshee continues to do.
It’s just about the perfect yo-yo in my mind.

4 Likes

YYF Too H.O.T.
Spin Dynamics OG Flow
OD. MC

2 Likes

Original hex axle proyo, old TK no jives, Oxy 3 and 4, YYJ speeder, YYF Role Model (a vastly underrated throw), Walter.

5 Likes

Definitely my Triton and my summit. Both of these have been edc since the day they dropped. My Summit is beat to hell and has developed a vibe that I have grown accustomed to and actually find comforting.

4 Likes

bonus points for vibe love!

i enjoyed my summit too :wink:

1 Like

So im a very sentimental person, so a lot of these have sentimental value to me. Like I said, I hold on to everything, so the ones that have that sentimental value are the ones that I’m really going to make sure I have regardless of anything. Lots of pictures incoming. Before the pics, some throws that I think fit this category that i didnt snap were my supernova, mutant dna, punchline, pure, wooly marmot, edge, doorknob, ti vayder. Im probably missing a few, but those are the big ones off the top of my head.

so pretty much everything in this case is specispecial to me. I am the biggest fan of general yo, and enjoy their throws a lot. The painted one is an entheos, which is special because its my only painted yoyo. Also second run 5 star was one of the first throws I’ve ever wanted from when I started yoyoing so thats big to me. On the right side of the case are some really special throws to me. Top left is a bassalope, my first premium metal yoyo ever. 12 year old me stripped it multiple times, so @yoyospirit modded it for me so that its playable again (and can go large or small bearing if I find large bearing SPRs)

Middle is my tester code 1. When the community created the code 1, a handful of people were selected to be testers and received prototypes with your username engraved, and I was fortunate enough to be selected. I remember I almost missed the chance to be selected because I was away on vacation with no internet access, and came back the very last day I would be allowed to accept to be a tester.

Last one in that case is a john higby 07 888. My dad bought it for me at the first contest I ever went to, and it has some of the coolest engravings ever, and 2 of my favorite colors. It is one of my favorite yoyos to play even 13 years after it’s inception.

Some others that are really special to me:

My first metal yoyo ever, still play it from time to time, still has very minimal vibe considering how much of a beating this thing took. I remember washing everyone’s car to get it :joy:

this was given to me as a gift from Bradd over at circle city yoyos, and it happened to be my first world yoyo contest ever to boot. Its a great yoyo and a great colorway and something to help remind me about my world yoyo contest experience.

All the yoyos my girlfriend has gotten me. She works really hard and the fact that she would spend all this hard earnes money on me blows my mind. I’ve gotten gifts from my parents and brother too, and I’ll include them as well, mainly edge and edge monster and shutter WA, which arent pictured

And lastly these 2. The aurora was my first titanium yoyo. I remember the drop on the prominent yoyo store at the time was delayed for hours (can’t remember if they forgot or a system malfunction or whatever) and me refreshing like mad on a car ride to a vacation for that entire time waiting for it to drop. Obviously when we get there and I’m unpacking everything is when the yoyo was dropped and it was gone realy quick. I actually wanted the green one at first but i missed the drop. A couple days later they had a couple of them on another yoyo store just in this clear color and I snagged one and was super happy. It has the coolest titanium ring out of every titanium I’ve ever heard.

The other yoyo in the picture is a yyf boss (the original one) i bought a yoyoexpert edition one (red and black splash) and stripped it because the bearing seat was so tight I couldn’t get the bearing out. Contacted YYF waaaaay later than I should have (as in, 1 or 2 years after the fact) they tried to fix it but couldn’t, and sent me one with a ding or 2 no questions asked. I thought this was very very nice and something that I’ll always remember.

16 Likes

Dude, great post…thanks for sharing! I love how much meaning these yos have for you!

4 Likes

i agree, awesome stories, and pieces!

4 Likes

Thanks guys. If anyone finds a set of large bearing sprs hmu​:joy::joy:

3 Likes

ya never know… it’s these types of conversations that sometimes flush things out…

3 Likes
  • VTWO
  • Hummingbird
2 Likes

I have 1 set, but they’re in a FH1. I’ll let you know if I ever let them go :+1:

3 Likes

i’m going to have to pick up one of these hummingbirds… though not in my typical stable of choices, i feel the need to check this guy out…

1 Like

You have to be okay with yoyos that aren’t super wide; the Hummingbird clocks in at a hair under 43mm wide, which these days practically makes it a slimline. It is incredibly quick and nimble, yet incredibly stable and powerful. It is a freak of nature.

2 Likes