Your embarrassing confession?

Reposting because my clumsy thumbs accidentally deleted my last post:

Yo-yo tricks can definitely be hard. Everyone is terrible at tricks when they start. Do not assume you’re “trick handicapped” just yet.

This is a rut that I’ve seen several people I’ve taught to yo-yo fall into shortly after they get a consistent throw and bind, but before they master much else. But it is a rut that can definitely be overcome.

5 Likes

Yo there are windups that are super easy to learn and I think it makes yoyoing more enjoyable because you can keep it spinning more and it’s just quicker. If you don’t want to learn also, that’s cool! But you shouldn’t be embarrassed about that.

Here’s a topic I made asking people about the restarts they use.

Edit-I also noticed you made this topic right after I made mine and used a lot of the same language I did and I felt bad reading it! I didn’t ask about restarts to make you feel embarrassed. If you want any help, I’ll do my best to help you.

3 Likes

I kind of like threads like this so since my last confessional I learned to snap start and do more than one bind but I’ll admit here today I still haven’t learned any valid tricks for front style. I’ve more or less just ignored anything forward facing that’s not looping…

5 Likes

I spend too much time shopping and not enough throwing! Get me off the internet! AHHH!

It’s not that bad lol. I am not gonna be picking up too much new gear though because I am good I have way more than I need. The only thing that I would buy is if they got platinum/gold DS bearings back in stock. I don’t have one in every single yoyo I own yet so I don’t have enough.

5 Likes

This one time at band camp…….

5 Likes

Contrary to what I said a couple years ago (which I can’t find, maybe the thread was nuked), these days I only throw maybe 5% of my collection. In fact I’d say about 9 times out of 10 I reach for my PLSTC over anything else I have laying around.

4 Likes
  1. I almost used yoyo lube for “something else” lol
  2. I always throw out the spare string that comes with a new yoyo
  3. I gravitate towards picture tricks and intermediate tricks the most
  4. I hate responsive yoyos so much. They simply don’t interest me.
  5. I don’t like organic yoyos but do own a Bolt XT, Reboot, and T.R.Y., which are pretty good
  6. I prefer oldschool tricks from 2010s the most.
2 Likes

This is what it takes to box up my yoyo collection (for a move).

One large moving box, three medium moving boxes, and the FD50 case. I’m mortified by out of control this has gotten (in only 5 years, mind you).

19 Likes

Good Lord! I recommend shelving or storing most of them and getting small EDC stand to play with the best ones.

3 Likes

It’s simple to do…but, even thinking about changing out pads gives me anxiety. :joy:

Also, still have never swapped out bearings. I have a few that are pretty shot and thats just how those yoyos play now! (got a few bearings in my shopping cart now…so that’s about to change!)

5 Likes

And I bet there’s mostly green in there

1 Like

Ha. I think only about 1% of my collection is green.

I should point out that all my yoyos are in cases or travel bags of some kind, and that’s why they take up so much box space.

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me at MWR - twice. Once at the Minnesota state contest my yoyo came apart and the pieces went in 4 different directions. :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

disqualified from my 1st (and so far only) yoyo competition, because I didn’t double check my music lyrics for profanity

(everyone was really nice about it though) :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have no clue how a yoyo work, is made, why it works and why they look/play different.

Same brother

5 Likes

If I get stuck on a trick I cannot move on until I “master” it.

My Autism comes out in full force. I practiced nothing but the beefhook for seriously like 6 months straight until I became consistent.

Why - who the hell knows

10 Likes

i often land super cool looking tricks, but i forget how i do them.

6 Likes

I do this too. I also learn longer tricks in sections and won’t move on to the next section until I’ve smoothed out the previous one.

It usually takes me months to fully learn a trick because I have the attention span of a squirrel.

8 Likes

Ive thrown on and off since 07ish with gaps of a few years each time and i havent learned many tricks and feel shame about it to the point that im scared to meet the locals. The real embarrassing part is that i had some off time last week and practiced so much that i gave myself ulnar wrist pain. The other embarrassing part is that i have such a hard time resisting the urge to yoyo that i keep irritating it when i should be letting it heal like a dog that needs a cone :pensive:.

I just wanted to learn a little more before the meet were having on the 21st so that maybe id have the confidence to go.

13 Likes

I have a hard time throwing a straight hard breakaway, so i throw forward passes into sidestye tricks. It looks weird but it works for me.

8 Likes