Let’s Talk Restarts

What are all the ways y’all restart a dead Yoyo? What’s your go to and what are any fancy ones you know?

I usually do the one where nth holds the string and th thumb starts the spin and I recently decided I should learn the one handed snap start. I oddly get more spin snap starting but it’s not nearly as stable yet…and I don’t know how to chain it into a bind as smooth as the other way.

I also want to say the engineers wind up is underrated and should be the first thing any beginner learns.

6 Likes

Snap-less snap start. I find that going for an actual snap can end painfully and was actually blocking progress. It took a long time to get this to work consistently, but it was a game-changer for progressing with other tricks. Also helped me learn to bind from some some really weak, wobbly spins.

4 Likes

Like you still put index and middle on the front and thumb on the back? Like go for the spin and not the snap? I’m not sure if I’m picturing what you’re talking about correctly

1 Like

I think you are picturing it right.

Same starting position, I just focus on spinning the yoyo rather than the finger-snap mechanic. I find that putting the extra load on the grip that I need to get a good “snap” can be counter-productive to stability.

Now that I have the overall trick down the snap is easier, but there is still a 5% chance that my fingers get jammed in some weird and painful way. Just going for a clean twist eliminates that problem for me.

I wish I could recall the tutorial, but someone described the motion as being like twisting a doorknob. For some reason, this was really hard to do at first and get even marginal spin, but now this is no problem. Part of that is being able to bind up a pretty weak spin.

2 Likes

Ooo okay yeah I can picture it now I just had to check. I’m getting better at that one for sure like always try to focus on the spin and try to keep it stable usually get enough spin to bind but it will be super wobbly, not always but I struggle to get it smooth. That will come with practice. The hard part is that I’m so used to doing the other one, I’ll forget about the one-handed restart. it feels like I have to break a bad Yoyo habit now lol I’ll get there though! Thanks for the knowledge dart

2 Likes

First two are the only two restarts I ever use for 1A. I do the third for 4A but it doesn’t feel right with a 1A yoyo, I see lots of good players doing that in competitions though. Fourth I use on fixed axles, it doesn’t feel right on an unresponsive C bearing yoyo.

I just thought of a stupid one that I haven’t seen done before, and I will probably never do this again ever lol. For when you want to restart, aren’t wearing shoes, and also don’t want to use your hands. For some reason a 5A kick up came to mind, but that requires the yoyo already be wound up.

16 Likes

Nice! I’ve never seen a restart like the first one…in the tutorials I’ve seen it’s usually the TH making the spinning motion…definitely want to lock that up in my restart database…I like that it stays oriented sidestyle also because the two I’ve been doing are front style and I never play frontstyle…also I should probably twist the one non-snap start sidestyle instead of forward…hmmm lots to explore…

1 Like

FWIW I am doing all of my starts side style since I too never play front style.

1 Like

What is the engineer’s wind up?

1 Like

hah omg also that video made me want a Ti yoyo thats why it sounds like that correct?

1 Like

The fourth wind up I do in the first video of my previous post. Putting a dead yoyo into a trapeze and having that wind up just enough to regen it.

The yoyo I’m using is a steel monometal (Hydrangea Lisianthus) @GTDropKnot

3 Likes

basically the fourth one mable did in the first video. yoyo on trapeze then winds but mable did it better than I knew was possible

ooo well it still has a good sound and jinx hah

2 Likes

Oh cool I do that one a lot I didn’t know it was called that

1 Like

I use a varient of that but wind it all the way up. No regen required. Takes a little finesse but it’s the quickest way to wind up.

I’ve never heard it called the engineers wind up.

2 Likes

I snap start everything except titanium. Titanium get stomp started.

3 Likes

I usually do the trapeze start but try to get momentum as you are winding it on the string and get enough spin to throw it up off of the trapeze before it gets to the end and let it continue winding up to your hand and catch it.

4 Likes

Yeah I just heard that name somewhere and like it because it kinda makes sense for the move. It’s like using physics some? I don’t know and I should go back to playing with it like I only wound up my yos like that until I could hand start and forgot about it except to teach beginners but there is a lot more to explore…

Simultaneously remembered this is a thing I’ve seen people do and also this thread was still in the back of my head.

11 Likes

thats a cool one

3 Likes