Let’s Talk Restarts

I do the JD style, flick with both hands.

2 Likes

Engineers windup is good just make sure to pinch with non throw hand to get your response pads to grip nice. Regens from there are clean

3 Likes

Hah throw start awesome! I tried learning this way way back before I was ready and dropped the loop and spiked my yo into the ground harder than ever before and then I paused learning this one lol but i should learn it because it looks cool

Took me a while to get a regular snapstart down. And for a long time I did the (much more beginner friendly) two handed snap start.

May it be of some use to you.

9 Likes

Yeah that was cool I’ll try that one for sure !

Got the two handed one really easy so that’s good to have you were right it is way easier lol I still want to have a one handed snap start too because I’m pretty close to smooth

1 Like

This is actually one of the craziest restarts I’ve seen. I had to do a double take after it. 2017EJA Final 4A 03 Futoshi Maruyama - YouTube

5 Likes

Hah lol omg I did a double take too! It was so smooth! There is a frisbee throw I know kind of like that…

2 Likes

Polo puts on a fresh string and barely does anything to get yoyo spinning and wind up. Haven’t seen this elsewhere.

4 Likes

Lol the polo one is ridiculous I watched it in .25 and it still doesn’t make sense

3 Likes

Here’s Riccardo with a fancy unresponsive snap start. (at around 1:42)

6 Likes

Pretty much everything in it is just a flourish. All he’s doing is setting up the bind and then just rolling the yoyo off his hand into the bind. It’s easier if you toss the yoyo up a little bit to engage the bind, because that just takes a smooth motion more than getting a good amount of spin on the yoyo.

10 Likes

I’m book marking this thread. This is like my biggest pain point cause I can maybe flick or snap start an unresponsive 3/10 times. I got my responsive and fixed all starting fine but I really just need one reliable way to start my unresponsive that I can just practice for a few days.

I’ll have to watch all the videos when I have time.

1 Like

Practicing snap starts with both hands makes life easier. It’s about the only way I wind, but I think it’s just a habit from playing responsive.

3 Likes

That’s brilliant. Never thought of two hands but that’ll save my dumb arthritic hands some effort. Thank you eventually I’ll get into some neat start but this works great.

3 Likes

snapstarts all the way. I m working on snapstart insta binds.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for adding all these awesome restarts.

I figured out a sneaky snap start…I thought this was how Futoshi Maruyama did that insane 4a restart bind but I rewatched it again and I think it was just a super super clean snap start and they bound it up right away.

The way in this vid, the thumb goes on the inside the rim instead of on the opposite outside of either side of the yoyo. Way easier for me to get a stable good spin like this but I also do this funky frisbee throw like this so I already had the motion down. Helps in 5a to rest the cw somewhere or at least not have it swing crazy when you do it.

2 Likes

That one where you hold the string by your shoulder and release when you throw it I’ve tried a few times with horrible results. I basically threw my yoyo directly at a dresser both times I tried on different occasions. :joy: Couldn’t believe I did it twice.

Speaking of this I was thinking about it tonight. I use snap start but sometimes it doesn’t get me the full way wound. I’ve heard in videos of regening when that happens. I know kinda how to regen from a forward pass to a sleeper with a responsive. What regen do I need to do when snap starting? Is there any videos on it?

2 Likes

Like basically when it gets as far as it want to wind up, you swing it around and down to get more spin. Kind of just need to experiment with it but you learned spirit bomb w a yyf whip so I think you can do it lol not sure if there is a vid but I can make one later if you want bc this is kinda hard to explain through text. Also this isn’t a good answer and others might have some vids to share / other ideas

1 Like

Thanks man. I feel like I have an idea of the motion I need to do but at the same time I feel like the motion feels like something where I’m nervous I might just accidentally nail myself with the yoyo. Im gonna have to just experiment with it.

1 Like