You have decided! Introducing Hubris Yoyos!

It’s still going to be a bit (at least a year) until I start actually going into the true design of it but I eventually want to make a few throws for the community, focusing on actually unique design that offers practical utility (e.g. I plan for all of my 1A yoyos will be able to talon grind effectively by incorporating a rim lip).

Either way here are the names I had in mind:

• Hubris Yoyos (this is my personal favorite)
  • Give Me Money, I Give Yoyo (GMMIGY)
  • Throw Bind Repeat
  • RPM

0 voters

Naming schemes related to each choice:
Hubris: Mythical animals or creatures (e.g. my first oversized or 4A yoyo would be the Rukh, after the mythical bird. The Hydra would be a 1A yoyo also built for 3A. Griffon would be the flagship bimetal, Chimera for a tri-material, etc.)
Give Me Money, I Give Yoyo: Various economic terms (e.g. Transaction, Free Market, etc.)
Throw Bind Repeat: No planned names. Still working on this one.
RPM: Spinning things or fast things (e.g. Mach, Hurricane, Quasar, Axle, etc.)

Which route is the most amusing to you?

2 Likes

Im not a fan of Hubris, as it’s a negative term meaning arrogance. I assume it’s a joke.

RPM is the safe choice. It’s short and easy to remember.

Good luck with your endeavor!

PS I like the naming convention for your yoyos with Hubris, but maybe use a different company name, like Mythical Yoyos or Mythic Yoyos.

4 Likes

It is indeed supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. The morto would even be “worship-worthy performance”

3 Likes

I actually quite like the Hubris name and mythical creature theme. It gives you a lot of angles to work with and I think it’s the most fun of these. Treasures of the gods!

GMMIGY is probably my second favorite, but not as interesting a concept for me.

RPM’s a little generic but it is simple and effective.

“Throw Bind Repeat” gives me major yoyo-flavored-“Live Laugh Love” vibes. Take that as you will I suppose, but I’m personally not a fan of live laugh love merch.

3 Likes

With GMMIGY you could have colorways based on different currencys which personally are some of my favorite colors :money_mouth_face:

To add onto what @bigstupidbees said about the “live laugh love” vibes, I think that would unironically be sick for yo-yos. Like poorly painted wood, and that font that’s on everything lol I think the modern farmhouse aesthetic would fit well in current yo-yo meta.

3 Likes

Yknow it is an aesthetic that’s not really represented here, it could work!

1 Like

Gonna vote for Hubris because the mythical creatures naming scheme is incredibly cool. That said, Hubris is a word that I think could lead to people slightly viewing the brand as a joke because it doesn’t really have a single positive application. Hubris is usually used to denote unfounded arrogance, like Icarus flying too close to the sun, when I’d guess you want to convey well-deserved pride or confidence instead.

2 Likes

The modern farmhouse “live laugh love” ■■■■ often looks kind of cringe when it’s all over a house, but I absolutely agree that it would be phenomenal for yoyo. That is such a good idea

3 Likes

Oooh i just came up with the name of my undersized yoyo for the Hubris route: The Quasit!

1 Like

Id like to add another option. Knot Dunkin kill it homie

1 Like

Is Hubris yo-yos a reference to fallout 4

Hubris Comics

No but I remembered that Hubris exists in Fallout too.

2 Likes

Naming a yoyo company is hard. In my opinion, you should choose something that will sound like a trusted brand in 100 years time. There are far too many brands that I feel aren’t named for longevity.

Dont make it too long or too oddball. An example of this kind of name is ‘Yoyofactory’.

5 Likes

I too like the mythic animals theme, but didn’t get the hubris connection. Mythic Throws is a nice and direct too.

3 Likes

I like this too! Also what if you named a yoyo model the Hubris?

1 Like

The description would simply have to say “This yoyo is better than yours.”

Maybe make it GMIGY - “Give money I give yoyo”
Just getting rid of the double M, looks/sounds nicer?

Hubris yoyo is good too

1 Like

$$4 :yo-yo:
Always has an emoji
Graphics for everything is dated to y2k era

1 Like

The website would have a different looking cursor or something like that too

Please keep accessibility in mind when overriding browser/OS defaults like this. It’s important to many users and subject to laws that are very worth knowing about for any business on the internet.

2 Likes