Yoing = calories burnt?

i think what should be considered is the calories gained comparatively

1 Like

Not yet actually - sounds awesome!

Sure! Besides all humor and fun - it’s just not that much… maybe same like doing your household or such……

And yes, I sometime do a bit of sport - got a rest HR of approx 45

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. I’ve been putting it down as 70-80 calories per 15 minutes. I’m not sure how far off that is. Was hoping to get some estimates, though I do know that’s a lot of ask for with all the billions of factors.

1 Like

Maybe 70-80 is too much.

Would 40-50 be unrealistic do you think?

1 Like

OK, lets talk a bit of theory with some practical “hint” maybe…

Assuming a John Do with approx 1800,- kcal (resting) plus some avg. activity kcal of 600 equals 2400 each day. Which is quite average. Meaning you burn approx. 100kcal each hour at a normal day.

Yoing should not change the average numbers too much - at least not with additional 320kcal/hour! If I ride my bike at low pace or just go for a light jog, those numbers would be realistic.

1 Like

You people just do the wrong type of tricks if you wanna burn calories

8 Likes

I think assuming approx 100 kcal for a good 30 mins should be a somewhat realistic ballpark…

1 Like

So funny. I’ve wondered this too, and these are the two observations that I was able to comfort myself with:

1. if I’m yo-yoing, I’m not eating (and usually not drinking)

2. I always end up feeling like it’s warm as soon as I’ve been throwing for a few minutes

1 Like

It may be because I’m huge and out of shape…but 15-20 minutes of throwing starts to get me sweating a little bit. Gets my heart rate up. Not a lot mind you, but it’s more than just ‘existing’, ‘sitting in a beanbag chair’, or ‘standing’.

I’ve been losing a bit of weight…down 25 pounds but have a very long ways to go.
And I’ve been trying to keep track of calories burnt and how much I’m taking in.

I’d like to record my yoing in my calculations…,because I know it’s burning at least something. I can feel it. And keeping track of stuff like this and seeing it on a chart over the course of a week or 2 helps keep me motivated.

4 Likes

Just found a source - Juggling burns approx 120 per 30/mins. so, my estimation wasn’t that bad, id say.

I on average burn 1000-1500 kcal each day due to running and biking and can tell you, that feels “slightly” different from tossing my toys around :wink:

2 Likes

I have a 40-minute daily exercise routine that involves stretching, cardio (jumping jacks, swim strokes, jogging in place), weights (bicep curls, vertical rowing lifts), and calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups). Unless it is in the middle of summer, this routine does not usually make me sweat, and I doubt I am burning more than about 100 calories in the process. That’s why I call it my “exercise routine” and not my “work out routine”. I am exercising, but I am most definitely not “working out”.

I am thin, but not because I exercise. I am thin because my eating habits do not produce a calorie surplus, and severe reductions in consumption of sugar and carbs has been the primary factor. I exercise for other health reasons having little, if anything, to do with weight loss/maintenance.

3 Likes

Awesome! Keep it going and enjoy! Sory, for making fun of the topic at first glance…!

You should try to get a cheap fitness-tracker (any older Garmin should do) to maybe really track your trainings… It sure comes all down to your own “mechanics” and overall metabolic rate. I for my activities can tell quite exactly how much I burn, which is important to feed me properly. no kidding here!

But I may assume that my 100 kcal per 30 mins should be a not too bad estimation at all…

:facepunch:

2 Likes

I don’t mean to be super confrontative…but I do not believe that at all.

haha not at all! :smiley:

Been using my apple watch which I’m pretty happy with.

I also do daily walks and have started doing guided exercises 3 times a week.
I’ve been using my iPad to keep track of everything.

2 Likes

If you jog/run on a treadmill you will see just how few calories you burn for the time and sweat expended. I am comparing the amount of exertion, sweat, and rigorous body movement I put my body through during my exercise routine and in my estimation, it is comparable to about 15 or so minutes on a treadmill.

4 Likes

you burn about 75 calories an hour just doing nothing…but doing jumping jacks and lifting weights for 40 minutes only burns 100 calories?

I should probably just shut up…but that doesn’t sound right to me.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant 100 calories in addition to your resting burn rate. I thought that kinda went without saying. Apologies if it was misleading. And it might be more than 100 calories, but I doubt it is significantly more. I mean, compared to my caloric intake it is a drop in the bucket.

2 Likes

Found a quite realistic overview online.

Just pasted it here:

Activity Calories Burned per Hour*
Man Woman
Light Activity: 300 240
Cleaning house
Office work
Playing baseball
Playing golf

Moderate Activity: 460 370
Walking briskly (3.5 mph)
Gardening
Cycling (5.5 mph)
Dancing
Playing basketball

Strenuous Activity: 730 580
Jogging (9 min/mile)
Playing football
Swimming

Very Strenuous Activity: 920 740
Running (7 min/mile)
Racquetball
Skiing

1 Like

i’d say it depends. Idling and autopiloting tricks, maybe it doesnt burn a lot if any at all.

But 15 mins of high number hooks practice or arm combo practice is a different story :cold_sweat:

Edit: Also x-div practice will make it significantly higher. 4A leaves you exhausted by minute 30, at least when you’re a beginner. 5A and 2A are also notably more demanding than 1A.

6 Likes

All good! Important lesson here: Most underestimate, how hard it actually is to burn calories from sport alone. Thats btw why I made fun about the “pure existing” earlier. Just being alive will give you approx 2400 kcal each day. Running 7 miles in addition will “only” sum it up to maybe 2900 or so…

Important: Eating (in terms of a definite) has the better leverage effect for an untrained person!

3 Likes