Wrist Watches

I mostly created this thread to ask about how watch wearers deal with yoyoing, but feel free to talk about watches, post your collection, or even debate watch movements.

Well, ill preface this by saying that ive worn a watch most of my life. So much so, that when I take it off, ill keep taking glances at an empty wrist. For you watch guys, im rocking a Casio GW-5000-1JF, which is a quality Japan made version of what I consider the ideal EDC watch. Anyways, long story short, I wear a watch, I play yoyo, so I yoyo with the watch on. Since I wear a G shock im not usually worried about damaging my tank, but even this watch has a glass screen, and now im thinking that maybe I should take it off during play (which would be inconvenient cause I wear it 24/7 without a thought). It also occasionally gets in the way when the yoyo string gets wrapped around my wrist during play. So it got me thinking, do watch guys/girls remove their watches when they settle down for a yoyo session? Or do you just leave it on like always and ignore it?

5 Likes

I wear an Apple watch. It will never be on when I use both hands in a trick. I miss it when I am not wearing it, but I’m not taking chances hitting it with a metal yoyo.

5 Likes

i wear rado watches, on my non-throw hand. they are generally made of ceramic, stainless, and with sapphire crystal faces. i’ll likely damage the yoyo before the watches, but i’m careful nonetheless

3 Likes

I can’t ever remember my watch interfering with a yoyo trick. Currently wearing a Bulova company award watch I got from a previous employer for some silly achievement. Previously Timexes, Armitrons…

I don’t normally do wrist wraps so no experience there.

4 Likes

I wear a Seiko 5 with sapphire crystal & stainless steel bracelet. So far the only watch damage due to yoyo is a small scratch on the crystal from the Ti Dream. I have dinged a couple of yoyos on the bracelet.

6 Likes

I wear an Apple Watch too, one of the older models, but I take it off when I yoyo.

2 Likes

I wear a Fitbit Charge 3 while I throw. Been lucky so far. I definitely wouldn’t take a chance with anything more expensive.

3 Likes

I wear a Garmin 945 as my daily driver. It was expensive, but it’s a sports gadget that’s designed to survive a lot of fun and I don’t worry about banging it up too much. The reality for me is that techie watches aren’t heirlooms - I typically replace my EDC every three generations or so regardless of condition because I want the new thing.

All that said; I do typically take it off when I’m going to do a solid practicing session. I wear gloves to yoyo and the watch gets in the way of the cuff.

Man after my own heart right here; before I started wearing a computer on my wrist I swore by my Seiko automatic. I still have her on the nightstand and wear the watch anytime a digital isn’t fancy enough :smiley:

5 Likes

I used to wear a watch, but I got rid of it for a while since it got in the way. Since my wrist watching habits didn’t stop, I decided to get back into wearing a watch, but I lost it so I’m back to staring at my wrist for now

4 Likes

I have a fossil modern machine, it has scratched up my yo-yos and my yo-yos have scratched my watch up. I don’t wear it super often but when I do I still yoyo. If I scratch it, oh well :man_shrugging:. Can already see plenty and some on the glass

4 Likes

The last wrist watch I owned was about 15 years ago. It was a dive watch that I worked hard to earn the money for, and it was used to log several successful open water dives. I broke it though, and never got another :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

lol I wear a super cheap $20 Casio…I have zero worries of a yo smacking and breaking it! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s only gotten in the way a couple of times for me…and I’ll just take it off once I start working on tricks that I need to use my wrist with.

One of these days I’d love to get myself an apple watch…though I don’t even have a working cellphone right now (don’t have much of a need for one atm).
Another watch I’d love to have is this beauty:

1 Like

I wear cheap digital watches because I tend to lose them every few years. I wear mine often because it is helpful to time my break during work. Left hand works fine for yoyoing, and the design on my current watch is Velcro instead of a belt style pin and hole. I would never wear an expensive watch while throwing, given I’ve been well acquainted with the damage a chunk of rapidly moving aluminum does against such items like overhead lights…

2 Likes

I use an Apple Watch Sport 3rd Gen. I don’t take if off and figure it’s cheapish to replace. That being said it’s taken several HARD hits and has yet to crack. It’s dinged my throws but It has It has never broken itself.

2 Likes

I wear a Monaco by Tag Heuer and would like to point out that when my Ti yoyos make contact with the crystal, it occasionally leaves a mark. Where as, I use 2000-2500 grit sand paper to remove any surface marks from the crystal. Works great thus far.

Note: Always remove chronograph before welding. Welding slag and globular molten balls of fire do not sit well when landing on the crystal. I have a melt spot on my crystal.

Yes, my chronograph automatically gets in the way of my string frequently. Sometimes I take it off, usually not.

4 Likes

I haven’t worn a watch for about 16 years now. I had one once and I kept on looking at it waiting for time to pass at work. The battery died and I never bothered to get it replaced but at that point I felt free. FREE! Free from the restraint of time and the constant waiting for it to pass (at work) and I havem’t looked back since. I will never wear a watch again.

4 Likes

I had to crack the screen on 3 smart watches before I finally learned. I don’t wear a watch anymore. Sucks.

4 Likes

I’m more worried about my yoyo than the watch to be honest :rofl:

4 Likes

I go between a Seiko SARB035 and a blue Orient Ray II. I upgraded the crystal on the Orient to a domed sapphire and the bracelet to a MiLTAT Endmill with diver’s clasp. The Seiko has a sapphire crystal stock. I usually wear long sleeve button up shirts so the watch is covered when I’m throwing. If I’m wearing short sleeve I take the watch off.

3 Likes

My Top Deck is among my most beaten throws and it’s never hit the ground. The scratches and dings on my Fossil watch know the truth.

6 Likes