Wood is Good

I would have purchased every single one

2 Likes

Fixed. :wink:

2 Likes

If someone entered a contest with that style of play, what division would it be under?

It’s bracketed under the fixed axle division, which is not a typical division anymore.

Do you guys think someone could qualify in say 1A at a small state competition using a wood yoyo? I think the stalls and all would totally get the judges off guard

It depends on who’s competing and who’s judging, I suppose.

1 Like

So you can’t use it?

I’ve only owned one wood yo-yo in my life.

A random wood one I got from a craft fair.

sure you can. it’d be 1a.

maybe someday, someone who really cares about playing competitively will come along and try to break into a major contest using progressive fixed axle. it would weird out the judges, and virtually impossible to do well under the current structure.

personally, i couldn’t possibly care less that that’s the case. for me, fixed axle is about a simplistic, holistic approach. it’s not about beating anyone or exerting yourself upon the system, so much as throwing down radical tricks and having fun with friends. i feel like the rhythm of the medium, its incredible heritage, and the people it attracts keep it leaning more toward joy and hilarity and away from the cutthroat, analytical, and extrinsic. i LOVE what players have done with the fixed axle championship, but i kinda hope i never see the day that it devolves to fit into a “standard” competitive framework. to me, it’d be like trying to shoot a traditional japanese yumi in a modern olympic archery competition. it just doesn’t fit. they serve different purposes.

2 Likes

Well, I think your right about it being 1a. But it won’t be competitive… Ever.
• 1.0-point deduction: Restarting the spin of the yo-yo.
Wyyc rules. When you consider the stalls, you really couldn’t make this work.

Thats more like if the yoyo dies, a stall is a trick, like a stop n go, its intended, not by accident like doing a combo too long nd the oho dying.

Cheers,

Anyone keen to share some thoughts on the Tom Khun RD-1? I’m thinking of picking one up.

As far as Russell axle “breaking-in” is concerned - all my Russells are almost 20 years old, the axles have been worn smooth through years of play :wink:

Just ordered a Baldwin. Super excited for its arrival.

From what I’ve heard, they’re like “buttah”.

They’re not a real strong player (but neither am I)…

They’re a bit on the light side. There is a weight kit available if you can find one but they don’t do much. If you’re a TK fan they will have some attraction for you, otherwise probably not.

here’s what someone else has to say:

I would tend to agree w/what he says.

And one from here:

2 Likes

Any other recommendations besides a Tom Kuhn or a TMBR? After watching videos and reading this thread I want to get a wooden yoyo too!

What about Montgomery yoyos? They make a wooden yoyo.

I reversed my No Jive to be butterfly-shaped for stalls and that’s been a blast, though they are hard to find new. I really think that TMBR is the way to go for something readily available and very high quality. I can’t weigh in on bearing equipped TKs, that stuff doesn’t interest me as much as my other bearing metals. Thanks to Robbie G’s helpful tips at club, I’m having a huge amount of fun with fixed axles. I won’t be selling my metals, but it’s very refreshing to play with something new and a bit more unpredictable.

To those who have not read this whole thread, USE COTTON STRINGS ONLY. Your super slick poly strings will melt from the axle friction.

Are you speaking from experience or hearsay? I’ve never experienced it.

I’ve had it happen.