Why/why not wooden yo-yos

I’ve done a fare amount of woodworking, especially when I was younger. I love wood, and the idea of a wooden yo-yos is appealing. It never struck me as a good choice for yo-yos. It can be very temperamental, and the environment at any given time can have a large impact.

Pros/cons? Where do you find the best ones? What makes them the best? And… Go! Or, just point me to the articles, if this is a dead horse :smile:

7 Likes

Wood is pretty well represented on these threads:

There are some great fixie makers on the forum, including @vegabomb, @Glenacius_K, and @Eric_Newlin.

#WoodIsGood

8 Likes

Oooo fun question I love the wood fixed axles I got on here. they were the only two in stock at the time but they’re cheap and super fun I don’t know I feel in touch w Yoyo history hah

The wing I do just fun fixed axle stuff it’s light and comfy

This one I use as my looping Yoyo for right now and it’s super fun also

I have only tried these two but they’re some of my favorites to toss around

5 Likes

Ohh yeah I love my wood throws. I started with. Proyo for a taste of wood wrapped in a plastic body then got a Whirly gig then a legend now I’ve got a bunch of special yo-yos made by the cool guys that turn wood here.

Currently I’m on the wait list to get something from @Glenacius_K spinworthy whos stuff is generally coveted in this community and patiently waiting for wildwoods @Eric_Newlin to get his shop sorted and stuff on his site.

There are a whole bunch others that have cycled the bst recently as well. I’ve got my eye on a tmbr, hildy and fallen 44 at some point. (Sadly I can’t spend my mortgage on yo-yos go figure)

Those threads others have posted will point you to the places you want to be and I can imagine some of the wood guys here will pop out of the wood works (pun intended) to say hi.

3 Likes

Wood is Good.

This last February (and previous years) its called "Fixed Axel February ". It was a fun event with Sponsors, weekly challenges, and the Who’s who of judges.

The theme is maintained throughout the year with “Fix Axel Fridays”.

Like I was mentioning in your introduction thread, there is a good number of us that participate in the “Old School” style and tradition.

Active makers have been listed above.

This is a Wildwood Gnomad that has a little story behind it.

Have fun

8 Likes