Why no bimetal Shutter?

I really like the Shutter. A lot. Maybe it is because it is so beginner-friendly. Being simple, comfortable, and reliable makes it a favorite even though it is no longer “cutting edge” anymore. It is obviously one of the most popular monometal yoyos of the last five years. And it has spawned numerous variants: Wide Angle, 66% undersize, and even a titanium version.

So how come there has never been a bimetal variant? Is Gentry philosophically opposed to bimetals?

5 Likes

2 things. 1: There were actually 2 Shutters, a 67.8 gram one and 65.5 gram one. 2: 66% was by spingear, I don’t think it was YYF’s idea.

3 Likes

Gentry doesn’t like the feel of bimetals

4 Likes

Didn’t know that, but I can relate. I don’t universally dislike them, but I do love a good mono metal

4 Likes

Not much need for a bi-metal Shutter, a mono suits his needs and it is more accessible because of its price.

Different players have different needs and goals, and Gentry wanted something wide and Wide Angle was born, but his main goal is to spread yoyoing and make it accessible to the world.

2 Likes

They need a titanium wide angle Shutter!

6 Likes

A Titanium tri-metal wide angle Shutter with an adjustable gap and hub stacks

Would be nice😳

16 Likes

Does it need to be a 66% and also come with the option for mighty flea, slim and C bearing?

1 Like

Was the 66% Shutter made based on Gentry’s needs? Or the titanium Shutter?

I’m guessing that at least one of those Shutter variants was made because someone saw a market for it, irrespective of whether or not Gentry would personally use it. That’s why I’m surprised there’s no bimetal Shutter.

1 Like

Titanium shutter was just a cool proof of concept thing. 66% was just made because they were just making 66% of all of the really popular models.

I don’t see the need for a bimetal Shutter really. It’s design isn’t catered for tons of dense rim weight anyway, it’s more of a balanced weight distribution. I’m not even sure what a bimetal Shutter would really look like.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I guess since Gentry doesn’t like/need bimetals, we’ll never have an answer to the question, “What would your vision for a bimetal Shutter look/be like?”

1 Like

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

13 Likes

Is that the front half of a Shutter photoshopped onto the back half of a Space Cadet?

3 Likes

No… That’s a bi-metal shutter.

12 Likes

Don’t forget the “sunroof!”

2 Likes

Y’all are funny

1 Like

But is it a bimetal wide angle shutter, that’s what inquiring minds wish to know!

2 Likes

No no no… That’s just your average run of the mill regular bi-metal shutter.

2 Likes

THIS is a bi-metal wide angle shutter.

bi-shutter2

8 Likes

Dude, are these official?

1 Like