Why no bimetal Shutter?

No sorry, just joking around. :joy:

9 Likes

I was lowkey curious on how these would play :joy::joy::joy::joy

1 Like

Just a few free minutes and photoshop. BUT if I were to speculate I would say the reg shutter with space cadet rings might actually be good. Though I bet the wide angle with nightmare rings would have some vibe lol.

7 Likes

I think space cadet rings would make the most sense. A shutter with rings attached to the side or very edge would seem very weird to me

1 Like

What about narrow rings on the inside of the cup, ala G2 Elite?

1 Like

You could also put the ring inside the fingerspin cup, to add more center weight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think inner rings like the Berserker RX would’ve been the way to go. I have never seen a YYF with inner rings though.

1 Like
5 Likes

That thing actually looks pretty cool.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a fun yo-yo that never really got much hype. Plays really nice, but it’s on the heavier side. Great bi-metal for $70 if you like heavier throws.

5 Likes

I think it had a hard time living down the reputation of the OG VK. I never owned either but I seem to remember people not liking the original

1 Like

Looks like this is a thing now.

Wonder what the price will be…?

I’m definetely curious as well. The Shutter was my first real metal yoyo that I got serious on. Love the Wide Angle. Just picked up a Shu-Ta. Would love to see the bi-metal. I hope it’s reasonably priced. YYF is pretty good about that and it seems Gentry has always appreciated keeping his stuff accessible.

Oh? Where do I have to look?

And I’ve gotta say - I pretty much nailed it with my photoshop shutter w/ space cadet rings! @yyfben2.deactivated

15 Likes

That’s a bimetal, sure, but with those rings so far away from the outer rim, I’m not sure I see the point in having them. :thinking:

Love the color though!

Looks like you’ll just have to throw one to find out. I would not mind at all.

Ultimately, yeah, you’re right. Trying one is the only way to really know how it plays.

I am nevertheless curious to hear the reasoning behind its design and the placement of the rings from those involved in its development.

2 Likes

The Shutter wasn’t meant to be a super rim weighted yoyo, it was meant to be balanced and versatile. Making the Shutter a traditional bimetal wouldn’t really make sense and I’m not sure what it would look like, it’d likely be very different in terms of look, design, and focus than the original Shutter. I’ve also heard Gentry doesn’t like traditional bimetals.

I didn’t expect a bimetal Shutter to come out but being inner ring like this is the only way that I would see that it actually makes sense.

4 Likes