Why no bimetal Shutter?

It doesn’t look like a Shutter though, I mean, it looks like it has the inspiration, but the cuts are different and it just looks like Gentry is moving on with a new yoyo.

1 Like

What? It looks almost exactly like a Shutter with steel rings added.

1 Like

The same point as any bimetal; it adds concentrated weight in the desired area

I wish there were a lot more bimetals designed like that with the rings further in. You just wait and see, this will play super fast and obey your every command.

5 Likes

That ring placement reminds me of my Space Cadet, and given the direction that bimetals went in the years that followed, it seems like mid-positioned rings were just a developmental stepping stone towards edge rims, rather than an enduring design choice driven by player/consumer demand.

4 Likes

I dunno, the Edge was pretty popular and it had about the same ring placement as the Space Cadet.

3 Likes

The Edge is considerably wider, putting that SS ring weight further away from the center of the yoyo than on a Space Cadet. It is far more “edge weighted” than a Space Cadet as a result.

3 Likes

We don’t know if this bimetal will be a Wide Angle shutter or not. I suspect it will be, personally.

3 Likes

Ah, well, in that case the ring placement is probably where it is so as to prevent the yoyo from being too stable, i.e., too difficult to nudge off plane on purpose.

I don’t think it will be a regular or Wide Angle Shutter, but something new.

Mid weights tend to be faster and easier to push around.

1 Like

One important aspect is that weight closer to the string plane (regardless of distance from the axis) makes it easier to get a smooth throw. This has to do with the principal axes of rotation of the object - you need the moment of inertia around one to be very high (around the axis) and the other two to be much lower. This is why the weight placement on the Edge is so clever, along with its W profile - it accomplishes two things at once (high rotational inertia on the primary axis, but still relatively low on the other axes) while still allowing a wider catch zone.

3 Likes

That one tall cut is rounded now, the ring has made the other cuts look smaller and more minute, when we get the specs I will probably be dead wrong but whatever.

Aparently, Instagram followers have declared that the bimetal shutter is called the “butter”.

4 Likes

lol ikr.

aye anyone remember this video?

5 Likes

Butter plans started in 2016 confirmed! :rofl:

4 Likes

Sike bois it is just a polished rim

4 Likes

SmartSelect_20190222-141357_Instagram
latest post from Gentry, probably not a bimetal.

Anyway gonna grab one from Gentry’s stand tomorrow!

6 Likes

Just cosmetic. Polished.

1 Like

If you read the description on a different yoyo store site you’ll see that it says they don’t need steel rings, the new MVP allegedly proves that. In the picture it says “bimetal style design.” You’d think that if it was an actual bimetal they wouldn’t have classified it as bimetal style design. I’m not certain, but it looks to me like it’s just a regular Shutter Wide Angle with shiny bits. Also, you’d think that a bimetal Wangle would be more expensive than the OG Wangle.

8 Likes