New YoYoFactory Shutter Wide Angle w/ Mirror Polished Rims!

ShutterWideAngle-Polished-Extra_1024x1024

From YoYoFactory: In part of a theme for 2019 we are exploring Yo-Yo design. In the Massively rim weighted MVP we crushed the myth that Bi-Metal design is needed for rim weight. So what is left? There is the undeniable fact that Bi-Metal yo-yos look good! So in this design we have created the amazing look and style of a Bi-Metal design and we kept the retail price unchanged!

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/wide-angle-shutter-yoyo-by-yoyofactory

6 Likes

Is the engraving the same on both sides?

2 Likes

this is bs

4 Likes

Indeed

2 Likes

I think YoyoFactory needs to go out of their way to tell people that this is definitely not a bi-metal.

1 Like

I don’t think YYF is trying anything malicious here - it’s clearly a new style/color option and cheaper than their fades/washes.
I also don’t believe there are any throws on YYE that you can select the material (aluminum/plastic/bi-metal) when purchasing on the product page.

Very interesting concept and I wonder how grinds will work :thinking:

1 Like

yoyofactory needs to go out of their way to not play us like that

3 Likes

its past the step so grinds are the same

2 Likes

I have skinny fingers, but figure if you get even close with your finger, it’ll be grabbed from the high-gloss surface. Won’t know until I try :smiley:

1 Like

From what I read, Gentry just wasn’t into the bimetals, so what can you do?

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/search?q=bimetal%20category%3A36

zero results in his Q&A for the word “bimetal”… bit of a missed opportunity there … did you want to chime in @Gentry_Stein?

5 Likes

Didn’t they though?

3 Likes

OMG, just make a raw/polished shutter and it’ll be perfect :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just saw their Instagram post that spells it out. I think they’ve done enough as of now. I was just concerned for the people who may buy one on impulse, thinking the’re getting a bi-metal.

1 Like

Oh, this will absolutely be a thing.

1 Like

just saying that theyre really making people see a bi-metal unless they look closer. why couldnt gentry just release some new colorways?

1 Like

I think some people are overthinking this. If a yo-yo is released raw are people going to maybe think it’s a titanium?

5 Likes

if a yoyo is released raw, would the company label it “titanium design?”

3 Likes

I suspect that sort of confusion is avoided only because most of us are readily familiar with aluminum throws that are released raw. We know to assume aluminum unless it says titanium. However, this Shutter is sort of new: an aluminum yoyo with a polished ring that makes it look just like a bimetal. We aren’t used to seeing this, so it is all too easy to mistake it for a bimetal unless very carefully investigated (carefully parsing the finish options may not be sufficient).

1 Like

I had this pop up when I saw SIlenus. Its polished rings really make it look like it’s bimetal.

2 Likes

yeah the Silenus polished rings were super confusing too, and it turns out those ARE press-fit rings, although they are the same material… sooo confusing.

3 Likes