New YoYoFactory Shutter Wide Angle w/ Mirror Polished Rims!

Yes, on both sided.

Thus undermining every single one of their bimetal releases.

Was that gracious of YYF to leave the price unchanged?.. A Wide Angle Shutter for the price of a Wide Angle Shutter sounds reasonable to me.

Now I really like YoyoFactory, but this seems like a misguided attempt to push the Shutter line even further by giving customers the perception that it is something new. Just look at the write-up they gave it for simply polished rims.

The Wide Angle Shutter really is a great yoyo, though.

5 Likes

I think they were just trying to make something that looks cool and plays well. Like most releases though; Itā€™s not for everyone, some people will like it and some will not. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

When I found out that it was just polished I got a good chuckle at the expense of those excited for a bimetal with steel rings far from the rim. People get too serious about this stuff; it looks great and I have no problem with what YYF did here. Cool look!

6 Likes

Yeah, I was scratching my head when I saw those first pics! ā€œEXTREME MID WEIGHT!!!ā€

It has a cool lookā€¦

1 Like

Well, apparently EXTREME MID WEIGHT!!! has its benefits:

2 Likes

Yeah, but I think itā€™s pretty easy to accomplish without resorting to a bimetal design. I guess there were several YYJ designs like that. Just also was ironic that it was right on the heels of questioning the need for bimetal designs at allā€¦

1 Like

Depending on the shape and thickness of what is before and after it, putting a steel rim in that area does have benefits.

One of my favourite yoyos if the OD 2016 W Benchmark. It has weight concentrated in that area. Not steel of course, but still a good concentration of weight.

When people get past the idea that steel rings absolutely need to be put on the edge of the rim, I believe more interesting designs will appear that still offer performance benefits.

Take a look at the Sturm Panzer Rising Phenom.(based on the YYJ Phenom).

Sturm Panzer really donā€™t fool around with steel rims in useless places.

1 Like

I dig it. Havenā€™t gotten a WA Shutter yet, maybe itā€™s time.

1 Like

So Iā€™ve learned that this isnā€™t the first time Gentry has used (and released) a Shutter with polished rims that make it look like a bimetal. Iā€™m kinda surprised nobody mentioned this before.

5 Likes

When was the other time? Iā€™m not familiar.

1 Like

(Video should start at the 5:57 mark; also mentioned at the 7:11 mark)

5 Likes

Interesting. ā€œvery limited amount of polished rims production runā€. Iā€™ve literally never seen one.

Yep! We sold a handful of them! (2014).

When Gentry won Worlds in Prague he used a version with polished rims. The theme was ā€˜razor sharpā€™ in line with the song he used to win (still such a fun freestyle to watch). The inner rim was polished for a striking visual, etc.

https://yoyoexpert.com/blog/polished-rim-shutters-extremely-limited-quantities/

Shutter-Polished-Rim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMd2oKx0PTo

9 Likes

First time seeing this for me as well. Very sleek polish. How many (ballpark) were sent out? Anyone have any idea?

1 Like

We got around 25 of them and they retailed for $64.99 - This new Polished Wide Angle is a steal!

3 Likes

This will help out with the confusionā€¦

/s

bimetalshutter

13 Likes

Man I need that blue one

3 Likes

lmao I know itā€™s just clickbait but man, YYF is overcomplicating with all this. Why not just call them ā€œPolished Shutter Wide Anglesā€? They donā€™t have to of course but they know people will take any opportunity to crap on them, so why enable it?

Also, damn, Ann hasnĀ“t dropped a video in a while.

6 Likes