Why is the yo-yoing community so small?

It’s nerdy but I would say that people generally consider it nerdy in a “good way” as opposed to some other things

1 Like

If you google N.E.R.D you’ll find:

Never

Ending

Radical

Dude

Or

Not

Even

Remotely

Dorky

1 Like

One of my friends just found out that I’ve been getting into yoyoing and this is exactly what she responded with “Nnnnneeeeerrrrrrrrdddddddd”. So yea I’d say most people think it’s nerdy

1 Like

Three of our physics majors started playing yo-yo, so maybe it’s not a nerd thing.

4 Likes

i don’t think the community is small - the longer you’re in the community, the larger it becomes.

if you’re askin’ why isn’t yoyoin’ more popular…i think it’s very popular. with nerds.

mgodzilla

cloudy…

3 Likes

Do we really want every joe shmo and karen to be in the communnity? Could you imagine how hard it would be to have meaningful debate or conversation if everyone and their grammy was here?

Bottom line, yoyo is a skill toy. and that alone will keep 95+% of the populace out of the equation. Like @ eternalmetal said, its not tv, and its not on a tab or phone. That coupled with you need intelligence, patience, and desire to be better than you are today, removes nearly everyone. Nerd angle aside, which is also valid.

6 Likes

Yeah sure, if they enjoy yoyoing I’d be glad to welcome them here. I’m struggling to see any drawbacks of a growing community.

4 Likes

but theres not yoyoers every were I live in NC and I have no yoyo friends

I’ll echo what others have said already:

• Yoyoing isn’t visually appealing unless the player you’re watching is really good. Most civilians never witness really good yoyo play, leaving them with a less-than-stellar impression of the activity. Hence, observers tend not to become participants.
  • Yoyoing isn’t fun and exciting unless you’re doing fun, exciting tricks, and the tricks that look fun and exciting to perform are also really hard to learn, especially for beginners. This high barrier to–well, not entry, but sustained involvement–keeps the playerbase small.
  • Yoyoing doesn’t get any mainstream exposure. People with no pre-existing interest in yoyoing–which, let’s face it, is most people–aren’t going to go in search of yoyo videos or blogs, and so there’s little chance to grow awareness and cultivate interest.
  • Even for those few who do stumble upon (examples of excellent) yoyoing somehow, most of them aren’t going to think, Hey, I’d like to try that! Most are going to think, That looks pretty cool, but it’s really not my kind of thing.
5 Likes

Imo this is the biggest reason why this community is the size it is. People will do anything if they see many others doing it.

2 Likes

So yoyoing wasn’t fun and exciting when you started?

When did that change?

2 Likes

For quite a while it was fascinating and frustrating in equal measure. Challenging but not yet “fun” for me.

I would say it became fun and exciting once I could put together my own little combos involving tricks like Matrix, Rewind, and Chad’s flow routine (about six months ago).

2 Likes

There’s yoyo players in NC for sure. You may not know them personally, but they exist for sure.

Is this a video, and if so, would you happen to have a link? I’m interested in learning more!

1 Like

Yeah I would say that’s about when it really started to become fun for me too cuz it started to feel like I could actually play yoyo rather than practice yoyo

Where are you at now?

1 Like

when I got good

1 Like
2 Likes

when I started I just wanted to learn double or nothing but after I learned that I got more into it

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks man! This looks to be right at my skill level and can’t wait to start working on it!

1 Like

Right now I am trying to get consistent with Kwijibo. I envision the following sequence:

• Kwijibo into
  • Matrix (one iteration) into
  • Buddha’s Revenge into
  • McBride’s Roller Coaster into
  • Chad’s Flow routine (one iteration) into
  • Rewind to
  • “Boulay dismount and return”

Mastering Kwijibo is the first challenge (I can do all the others already, though landing the two Triple or Nothings isn’t consistent yet), and then the next challenge would be doing all these tricks cleanly enough to get through them all without losing all the spin by the end (so I can still bind the dang thing).

As you can tell, I tend to learn a new trick from the YYE Trick Ladder and then try to work it into a sequence with all the others I’ve learned.