Why is it that any time I get a new yo-yo it hits the floor?

It seems to happen every time I get a new yoyo, particularly if it’s metal. I got a new one the other day and I think it was the first throw after I checked how smooth it was spinning that I slammed it into the floor and it was no longer so smooth. Such a bum out after the high of getting a new toy.

13 Likes

You are being too conscious of the yoyo. Just throw it like the others.

11 Likes

This usually only happens to me with yoyos that I pay more than $600 for, otherwise I pretty much stopped hitting the floor.

The benefit of a titanium yoyo is that smashing the floor might leave a mark, but the yoyo will be just as smooth as it was before it cracked your tile.

14 Likes

Sorry about that! I feel for you. I dinged 2 yoyos on outside ground / concrete within 5 minutes of opening the package (Popstar and Alpha Steel). They are still smooth but have damage. I now just practice patience and try to be more careful.

12 Likes

Maybe need to shorten the string if it’s a habit? Regardless, I feel for ya.

16 Likes

Play over carpet my guy

15 Likes

The universe tends toward maximum irony. I sympathize with you. My new Saturday Market Deeper State slipped off my finger not long after it arrived. Fortunately it wasn’t traveling very fast.

7 Likes

This too. Carpet and grass for the win. And if you are still “slamming” the yoyo onto that surface… prob take an inch or two off the string and try that.

11 Likes

Sounds like the first thing you need to do when getting a new yoyo is check your string length.

10 Likes

gravity

11 Likes

… is such a turrible film.

9 Likes

There’s a magic number of new yoyos you need to buy before that stops happening. It differs for everyone. Mine is on 5 and counting…

4 Likes

I was once walking down the street when I got a bearing knot on my 1st run Chief. I fixed it and went to spin start it only to realize I forgot to put the string back on. It went tumbling down the street.

I’ve learned with yoyos you just have to laugh it off. The safest way to protect a yoyo is to not use it, but you don’t complain when you go offroad with your Jeep and it gets muddy.

15 Likes

Snap start without a string. Yikes! There’s a Doc Pop video of how to snap start with the string off of the yoyo. I bet you felt pretty crummy when it happened though.

1 Like

When I play over concrete I make sure to always keep my throw hand above my belly button, which is where I tie off the loop when I string up my yoyo. I’m less vigilant about this when throwing over a carpet or grass.

3 Likes

Meh, once it’s dinged you’re free to really play it!

11 Likes

Every once in a while I miss landing a mount and the yoyo hits the floor. It’s never been a problem since I only throw over carpet. If you want to throw outside where hard surfaces are a persistent threat to your yoyos, then try to only throw previously banged up EDCs. If you can’t bring yourself to limit yourself like that, then you’ll have to be resigned to the fact that all of your yoyos will probably end up damaged to some degree.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, string length is usually the answer. It’s such a fine line for me before it’s too short. I like the string to be as long as it can without hitting the floor, but I guess I get too confident when something new comes along. The only concrete hit I’ve done that I can remember was my 44rpm Blues. Thankfully it wasn’t too hard and just surface damage rather than deforming.

I have done this so many times with new yo-yos . Did it to one of my g2 throws right out of the box. I tend to ding my yo-yo up when I get a snag and I am trying to hard to throw it out lol

2 Likes

i get what you’re saying and agree in principle. You can wash a jeep though, you can’t unding a yoyo lol.

3 Likes