Why is "H" shape relatively uncommon today?

Wide yoyos are >-<

2 Likes

I like H’s in all their variations. I am especially fond of the Surveillance! It is undeniably the most powerful H in my collection.

DK is O-O

4 Likes

I considered adding it as ∞.

I SUPPORT ALL OF THESE CHANGES!

(grabs a double funnel to play with)

8 Likes

Who said they have to play meaningfully different to be classified a different shape? A Free Hand Zero and Sputnik play very different. Maybe they shouldn’t both be called organic or O shaped then?

@codinghorror I feel like you don’t have a lot of people in your real life that tell you no very often. You should hire a few. It’s healthy. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

That’s perfect lol

1 Like

who knew the alphabet could get so controversial. I always looked at a 2a as a H shape, especially if it was pulled apart abit.

2 Likes

I suppose you’ll need to address these concerns to iYoYo, Inc. and One Drop, Inc. respectively :wink:

Oh plenty do. But I don’t take no for an answer, and neither should anyone else!

2 Likes

Hey. so i did some analysis on the OD Benchmarks H and W. I think a data sheet like this is interesting for comparing profiles. I think the discussion toward semantics is silly, but if we are talking numbers then i present you this.

So, what does the data tells us?

• W shapes differentiates form H shapes by giving more emphasis on “Slopes” over “Rim” on the W. H being heavily ephasized on “Rim” on every axis, while “Slope” gets downsized by “Rim”
  • Surprisingly, H has a larger response area (even by a small margin).
  • Looking at Profile Comparison, is surprising how few are the coicidental lines between the two shapes. This could help us understand that even if they look similar by eye, they are inherently different enough to be called W and H.
18 Likes

Wow you dropped some serious science. :man_scientist:

I tend to agree that in the OD benchmark series, the H is like… an afterthought?

Can anyone reading this honestly tell me they see a big difference between the benchmark H and W in the above pic, for any year?

It’s also slightly complicated by the response bump that was added to all 2016 models. (and response bumps are a good thing, but a standard response bump does not make it an H)

2 Likes

They aren’t arguing this.

Unless they’re wrong…

8 Likes

about the definition of an H shape? :rofl:

I believe this is a thing reasonable people can disagree about, particularly since different companies have different definitions of what it means.

It’s not that people want to disagree. Other shapes are pretty similar and easily recognizable.

It’s that it’s hard to agree upon this particular one. (Or seems to be.)

2 Likes

So basically here’s what I’m thinking.

2016 benchmark this

versus 2016 benchmark this

(I apologize for the crudity of the mockup, pretend it’s a silver monometal there)

What’s key is this response well continuing to go in towards the cup, versus the minor rim bump – or you could also have the rim bump.

@RyoCanCan yeah straight V line and pure organic O are mathematically pure! Even W is kinda simple, go up like you’re going to be a V, then deviate the angle once.

It occurs to me you could “fix” the onedrop H with one change

Would that make it kinda extreme? Maybe but that’s sorta how H works!

3 Likes

Yes I can see a difference between the H & W from every year. There is a step on every H shape, the angles are different as well. Those are big differences.

Seems that iYoyo is the only one calling a bell shape an H shape :man_shrugging:

This again is a bell shape that you have drawn. Which if you’re going off of that, OD has made several, Rx, Cascade, TopDeck, Citizen.

2 Likes

Let’s see!

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A"shop.yoyoexpert.com"+"strong+H"

Produces three results:

• iYoYo Firrox
  • SoSerious Chronos
  • YYF Regen

:thinking:

1 Like

Chronos and Regen are H Shapes. Firrox is a bell shape.

edit: Your day must be going just as slow as mine Jeff :rofl:

3 Likes

I just like thinking about yo-yos, man!

I added a pic to the previous post for “strong H” search results. (Regen I would agree is an H because it cuts so strongly to the inside from the response.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A"shop.yoyoexpert.com"+"H+shape"

The results for “H shape” additionally include:

• YYO Vector
  • Mowl M
  • YYF Genesis
  • ThrowRevolution Kaiser
  • YYO Apex

I’d say these are a little bit all over the map, TBH. I think people can generally agree what O (it’s a curve!), V (it’s a line!) and W (it’s a line with another line!) are… but H? That is… TBD man

1 Like

I would argue that this sweeping curve would actually be an organic H hybrid, not a quality of a true H.

Organic = curvy IMO.

This is more in-line with a true H IMO

2 Likes