What would you call this V-ish shape?

What would we call these? My favorite shape and I’d like to be able to describe it to other people. Seems to have some crossover of different shapes.

3 Likes

A not-very-aggressive V shape? I mean, to my eyes it seems more like a V with some cut lines rather than an H.

2 Likes

Aka “organic V”

Organics aren’t necessarily the classic “O” shape (though they can be…), but “Os” are definitely organic.

Organic basically (in my mind) means that there aren’t any extreme transitions or sharp lines in the profile.

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking organic V

1 Like

Yeah organic V

Shutter to me is the most “all shapes in one, everything bagel” of yo-yos. That’s part of what makes it such a good all-rounder!

3 Likes

So “organic” just means “rounded”. Got it.

4 Likes

The four shapes are Roundy, Pointy, Flatty and Doorknobby

5 Likes

I thought it was Roundy, Pointy, Wing-ed Pointy, and Steppy.

2 Likes

I also agree that H shape is great

1 Like

Yeah it definitely has that v shape, just not as angular and with more emphasis on the rims. I agree with other people that have stated it’s an “organic v.”

Which is weird to me as I’m not a big pure v shape fan. I guess something with making the shape more rounded and flaring the rims a little helps give it the feel I like. Both of these yo-yos have inner ring cuts (on the black yo-yo, a Raiser, it’s a steel weight ring) that give it a feel that I haven’t experienced on a lot of other yo-yos. To me it’s the perfect weight distribution, especially in a bimetal format.

2 Likes

I’d say that 90+% of all yoyos could be called “organic”-something because it is rare for a yoyo to be a pure, platonic example of one of the four canonical shapes. The proper (linguistic) thing to do would be to drop “organic” from those 90+% (since that is clearly the ubiquitous norm), and instead add “platonic” as an adjective to the exceptions.

And I suppose for those yoyos which defy both the norm (i.e., “organic”-something) and the platonic, we can come up with special names for those as needed.

2 Likes

I disagree, I think pure V and pure W are quite common. Heck, pure organic is getting more common, even though I personally think it sucks, and it shouldn’t be :wink:

I don’t think that platonic shapes are nearly as common as the thousands of “organic” variants out there.

Yeah but then you’re just splitting hairs over what “percent” organic something is. Just a slightly rounded rim doesn’t make something organic, per se… If you feel strongly about it, create a new topic, post some example images, etc.

Apparently it does.

Look at the example that started this line of discussion just now. I called it a not-very-aggressive V, because it looks to me like a platonic V but with a tiny bit of “softness” to it and a cut line here or there (not unlike a VTWO which is definitely a platonic V, AFAIC). But we’re told that’s an “organic” V, regardless of the “percentage” of roundness.

I’d call it a soft V - basically a typical V shape that is slightly rounded. As opposed to a hard V shape yoyo like the Marco

1 Like

I mean it also has step round features doesn’t it?