Why is "H" shape relatively uncommon today?

OK so we got yo-yo shapes! W, H, O, V … and sometimes M :wink:

The above is the 2016 OneDrop benchmarks, but there is some debate as to whether or not their “H” is… actually an H?

Basically there has to be an inverted organic curve from the response area to the rim. Otherwise it’s just a W … and I’d say the “2016 benchmark onedrop H” pictured above is in fact a (very) slightly different W, because there’s no real inward curve to be found on it.

Here’s what an actual H shaped yo-yo looks like:

Eternal Throws Sesh, and Yanasai Scissortail (oversize), respectively.

I tend to agree that OD has never really made a true H, on top of that, H shapes are maybe the least common yo-yo shape on the market right now?

I think H shapes play fantastic and lots of other people like 'em too… but if we had to make a list of all the H-shape yo-yos for sale at YYE for example, it’s a surprisingly small list!

I wonder why that is?

20 Likes

Closest thing OD has made to an H I think is the burnside, right?

Even then though, more a flat rimmed V

9 Likes

Is the Tundra considered an H shape?

2 Likes

Isn’t most of the iyoyo stuff H shaped? Veritas and ippon = V but most all the others are as H as I’ve played.

4 Likes

Yes, iYoYo is kinda the :crown: of H shapes. The iceberg is I believe a hybrid H as well. They do other stuff too but it’s their bread and butter.

7 Likes

Do we consider a “bell shape” yoyo like an H shape? bell is arguably one of the best overall shapes imo

2 Likes

On a side note, I just realized for the first time that in the Benchmark picture, the yoyos are resting on bulk aluminum stock. I wonder what those rods got turned into? :thinking:

Also, can this get the H-iest H award? Hubless-Bite size

10 Likes

How do you know that?

2 Likes

Yeah there’s a lot of old timey hardcore H-es.

Spectrum SE from 2011, this just came up here recently:

5 Likes

I’d say the Onedrop H is a H shape. There is an immediate drop from the rim before the slope to the response.

6 Likes

Only in a verrrry desultory, minimal way. It’s like the laziest, least effectual H, a barely tweaked W.

1 Like

Yes, I see what you’re saying. As a benchmark shape it could have been a lot more pronounced.

4 Likes

:thinking:

Kinda, yeah. Depends on the bell-i-ness.

I would say the Knight & Gale (bottom left) definitely is, Banshee a bit less so. Overall I think so yes.

6 Likes

The Bite-size is literally an H though. It can’t get much H-ier than that. IMO

5 Likes

The Akita seems to be a good example of bell shaped

5 Likes

What confuses me is that people call this a V shape.

5 Likes

Based off the criteria that would be a W, correct?

These shapes can be very confusing lol

5 Likes

The Serenade is an awesome Delrin h-shape throw. Super comfy in the hands too!

So by this definition, I accidentally created a H-shape yoyo back in '06 when I designed the Noctu. :thinking:

I never saw the Noctu as a H-shape though.

To me, the ‘cleanest’ looking H-shape yoyo is the Envy by hspin.

12 Likes

I’m seeing the rare M shape in that Noctu!

2 Likes