Is "bell" yo-yo shape a thing?

There is a trend in yo-yo to produce “bell” shapes. :bell: Like so

bell-shaped-yoyos

Of course we have the W/H/O/V canon, but bell comes up so often as a pleasing mixture that it could be its own distinct thing, perhaps?

I do think this is a reliably great yo-yo shape! Maybe it could also be called “trumpet” shape? :trumpet:

9 Likes

Yeah cascade is one of the OGs that comes to mind

3 Likes

U shape please

4 Likes

I love Bell shape yoyos. and so do a lot of other people, judging by how popular the cadence is.

1 Like

Those are some gorgeous colorways. Bottom row especially.

2 Likes

So bell is conceptually the opposite of organic, angle wise… inverted organic angle. Hence “inverse round”

Lest you think my angles are too extreme… :wink:

Also found this interesting yoyo shapes page I hadn’t seen before.

Though “straight” = V, “round” = O, and “step straight” = W.

5 Likes

You might be able to break it down into 1-3 primary “cuts” per half, and each cut is either rounded (in either direction) or straight. Bell would be distinguished by having a large inverse-round cut close to the bearing.

The step-straight in their example isn’t really W - W should only have two big cuts, step-straight has 3. It’s like a relaxed H-profile, in that the middle cut isn’t quite vertical.

1 Like

Just got a Yoyofriends Magpie and it’s ringing my :bell:, friends!

6 Likes

VsNYYC Battosai would definitely fit the bell shape. (Pic from High Speed yoyo)

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at this one lately but I’m worried it would be a little wide for my taste

1 Like

It’s an incredible throw. I got the same color (though I wanted purple to match my hummingbird)

1 Like

Did someone say bell?

Bell_2018-Sep-20_11-28-08PM-000_CustomizedView10067805385

Bell_2018-Sep-20_11-27-59PM-000_CustomizedView3789384247

9 Likes

I see you haven’t added the little dongle side effect yet :wink:

6 Likes

This is just a render, right? :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, I wish it were real! Imagine the side effects… (thanks @ferrocile for the idea)

ringer2

8 Likes

Ahaha, it’s so good!

4 Likes

the Too HOT has a pretty solid bell shape

1 Like

to me, inverse round is just another word for U shape. image this is more of a bell
(yyf superwide)

6 Likes

I feel honored to have that Gradient, I play it every day.

At Worlds one year, Taka used the ginormous “Buddha’s Bell” yoyo for his AP routine and for the World Mod Contest. So definitely bell-shaped (as it was a fully functional bell.)

5 Likes