What Yo-Yo Shape Is Best For Beginners?

I’ve heard of V-Shapes, W-Shapes, H-Shapes, and Organics and their respective pros, but I’ve always wondered which one of the four is the best for beginner-intermediate throwers, especially considering I’m thinking of getting a second, more advanced yo-yo. Any tips or suggestions? All help is appreciated!

2 Likes

Depends on your play style. Are you casual, do you want to compete, are you into string tricks, off-string, etc?

Im pretty casual, and I’m interested in string tricks and freehand, does that help?

1 Like

And H shape is always a good bet. They naturally have a bit more power and stability and they’re super forgiving to learn on. They’re also fairly easy to manufacture so there are a lot of different options for a fairly inexpensive price. The Yoyofriends short cut is a great example.

3 Likes

Shape doesn’t really matter all thaaaaat much imo I would just get what you think looks sick and fun tbh. V shapes definitely lean more towards a competitive shape but there are v shaped yo-yos that are definitely not competitive yo-yos. There are also some organic ish yo-yos that amazing players use in competitions. It’s kind of not a one card fits all spec like all Yoyo specs really.

7 Likes

Sounds like me, minus the freehand. An organic V might be a good compromise. Depending on the particular model of course, they can be chill but still do about any trick.

4 Likes

Small Follow-Up: Any suggestions for Organic Vs on the cheaper side? Or would the ones in the vid (currently not able to access YT so I haven’t watched it) work?

1 Like

I’m with Henry on this it’s more how the yoyo uses rim weight and center weight than what material or shape and really the players skill is more a factor than anything. in the end you can be as successful on a viby replay as you can be on a miracle. With that said look for a yoyo that boasts stability as plane control is hardest to master and you can get away with learning the tricks with a more forgiving throw and refining them as you go.

4 Likes

To name a few:

Shuriken . Roppo
One Drop . Still Rollin’
Rain City . Ouroboros
Reticulated . Death Adder v2
Mk1 . Unicorn

I really, really like the Unicorn. I got one “loose” off the company website. Easily worth the $60 paid. The Death Adder is right up there with it in my top ten, but it’s $15 more than the Unicorn. Both are bimetal, very stable, and very smooth.

2 Likes

I like most of those yo-yos but honestly I would almost say get a yyf sugar for a stable throw of go for a Duncan gtx grasshopper if you got that bi metal money. I’m not sure I put any recent OD in my stable yoyo bucket even if I like them.

Hell most intermediate friendly yoyo I can think of is the RCS yonami code

2 Likes

Y’know, I really wasn’t into the Still Rollin’ but every time I see it the thing grows on me just a little more. :expressionless:

I think something H or W shaped would be awesome.

Either the Yoyofriends Shortcut or Paragraph would be incredible yoyos for beginners. Great performance, smooth spin, and best of all $30-34. Pick which one has the shape you like and/or colors you like and you’ll probably be happy.

I love both those yoyos and highly recommend either one. They punch way above their price point.

4 Likes

Just curious. Would this be considered an organic V? Because, if so, I can say that organic V propelled my love of unresponsive play to new heights.

1 Like

Yup, that is an organic V. Basically, an organic hybrid is whatever shape but with softer, rounded edges.

I too love my general yo Ministar.

I don’t think shape matters to a beginner.

6 Likes

Depends on how much of beginner you are…

It sounds like you’re still playing responsive? If you’re going for string tricks and want to keep playing responsive, any modern plastic will do you right. Consider the Duncan Freehand One, Recess First Base, iYoyo Shooting Star… Something in that realm. The FH1 also comes with a counterweight.

If you want to get a little more advanced and delve into unresponsive play, some plastics like the FB and SS come with a responsive and unresponsive bearing. You can also get a decent monometal for like $30 now. So, you could get something like the Yoyofriends Paragraph or Shortcut and be good to go no matter how skilled you become.

I also recommend just searching the store for ones you like the look and shape of and get something that speaks to you. If it’s nice and pretty you’ll be likely to pick it up more often, which equates to more practicing.

1 Like

yoyo with wide shape like yonami code are marketed for begginers :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Most beginner yoyos are typically H shaped anyway, so that should say a lot! Yes, H shaped yoyos are generally more stable and reduce string drag on the bearing with added steps around the sides or wider walls. It’s easier to learn on and doesn’t tilt as easily as O or V shapes. W shapes are pretty rare but are also pretty stable (wedge, edge, etc.)

1 Like

Please avoid truly organic yoyos as a beginner. Their shape and weight distribution tend to be punishing, and as a beginner, you don’t need a yoyo to punish you for having less than adequate technique.

It’s not really so much the shape that I’d say is important and more the specific yoyo though.

For absolute beginner stuff consider:
Yotricks Sage
Recess First Base
YoyoFactory Arrow
iYoYo Shooting Star
Yoyofriends AoE
MagicYoyo Crystal K2P

For the next step stuff consider:
C3 Cyber Crash 2
C3 Laevateinn
Topyo Colossus V
Topyo Colossus VI