What are your thoughts on H-Shaped yoyos?

so what are your thoughts on h-shaped yoyos compared to V-shaped yoyos?

do you like or dislike H-shapes? Why? Playability?

I find H shape more comfortable

I think H-shaped yoyos are way more stable and comfortable. Thereā€™s this sort of large feel, but when the string hits the catch zone or anywhere near it, it feels nicer to me. Iā€™m able to achieve flow easier with one as well it seems.

Then again, Iā€™ve played modern in betweeners which play very closely to an H-shape. Specifically the one that comes to my mind for this would be the CLYW Avalanche: lots of rim weighting, but with a bit more of a V-shaped catch zone instead of the drastic H-shape you can find on others.

Iā€™d love to see a drastic H-shape from you guys. Surely buy it in a heartbeat. :wink:

I find H shapes to either be very very comfortable or very uncomfortable depending on the width of the catch zone.

Yuki

With a wide catch zone they feel great, have long spin times( in my own personal experience;)), easier to hit in the gap, and help me achieve more ā€œflowyā€ combos. This is all my opinion.

The H shape itā€™s not great for everyone. I personally love it, but there are many people that just donā€™t find them anything close to confortable. Best way to find out: Try one!

I like h shapes since they are design to spin a long time but i like v shapes more. But h shapes have very awesome designs like the h spin envy

And the size of your hand.

I dislike them greatly.

They are extremely uncomfortable in most instances, and the design (from a physics standpoint) isnā€™t all that greatā€¦ but more importantly, theyā€™re super ugly.

Kyle

Iā€™m of the mind that H shapes are the worst root shape a yoyo can have. Most all of them look horrendous and are way too rim-heavy.

The only H shapes I really like are the genesis and the code 1.

All other h shaped yoyos that ive used are super uncomfortable in the hand and also it hurts a lot when they return to your hand and just dig into the palm.

I always saw a difference between H-shaped (envy, G5) and stepped (genesisā€¦heck even 888).
Steps are done more for unique look and styling. a yoyo will look totally different with a step than without.

Yea when I say ā€˜h-shapedā€™ I think of things more like the envy. The ā€˜stepā€™ is just a visual thing, it doesnā€™t really have any impact on feel, performance, etc. Iā€™m not a big fan of those either, but certainly better than an ā€˜h-shapeā€™

Kyle

It depends on the yoyo. Thereā€™s bad designs in either category.

Given a choice, I like V shapes. The Square Wheels Royale changed my mind about H-shapes though. I have loads of each kind of shape.

So, to me, it comes down to the individual yoyo model. Remember how important preferences are. While I am very generous when it comes to shapes and sizes, there are yoyos that even I donā€™t like. This doesnā€™t mean the yoyo itself is bad, it just means it was not an ideal fit for me. Thatā€™s really the key. Try before you buy if you can to see what works for you. Thereā€™s no defacto right or wrong but you do need to find out what is right or wrong for you.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œStudio42,post:14,topic:50698ā€]
Enough said.

The Royale. Iā€™d say that is more of a stepped organic.
or a stepped hourglass.

Not an H. And H Iā€™d consider more of a Fury, Genesis.
more dramatic H would be MVPs Super G and things of the sort.

Personally, I like them. The rim weight is huge, they are extremely stable, and tend to respond quickly to directional changes during play. I tend to prefer a more under-sized H-shape.

Iā€™ve always wanted an H-shaped YYJ bi-metal. I guess the closest thing right now is the Ring Master. Wish I could try one.

I <3 Extreme h shapes!

They feel good for front style tricks.