Yoyo Profile Comparison: A systematic approach

Continuing the discussion from Why is "H" shape relatively uncommon today?:

Today’s comparison is between the Yoyofactory Aviator 2 (Signature of Luis Enrique VIllaseñor) and the Yoyofactory Neo Genesis.

Justification: Aviator 2 got a larger release in 2015 when it’s production moved to china so the yoyo could be offered at a more affordable price (not sure about how true that statement is). After that, the Aviator 2 has been praised by the general public as one of the best (and often called “underappreciated”) models from YYF. Naturally, fans of this yoyo have been suggesting a new run or an update for this yoyo. As Luis’ presence on competitive yoyoing has decreased, interest for a new run for this yoyo wasn’t a priority.

Enter the NeoGenesis. Claimed to be an update on the Genesis line (another extremely claimed yoyo from YYF, signature of Miguel Correa) made from YYF’s Ultra aluminum alloy, which is YYF’s name for 7068 Al. The Genesis saw it’s last run on 2015, same year as the Aviator 2, coming from a similar machine shop.

After seen how similar the two yoyos are, it’s only logical to compare them under this system.

Analysis:

Conclusions:

• The NeoGenesis is indeed a “modernized” Aviator 2. Wider and with less prominent wall on the “Response” area. Also the NG presents more “Slope” on it’s profile, making sense as this model is wider.
  • Probably, the reason the NG wasn’t marketed as a new Aviator was to offer an update on a yoyo many people have been wanting under another label that’s not the Aviator line, since probably Luis doesn’t have plans to continue yoyoing competitively.
12 Likes

That aviator 2 looks freaking sweet

1 Like

This is really awesome! Hope to see more posts like this in the future!

1 Like

This comparison counts for nothing unless you compare the cup area too.

1 Like

I really like these they are super cool! How are you isolating the profile exactly, what software tools and how?

2 Likes

I do it more roughly than you think. I use photoshop and some patience to outilne the profiles and stretch the images of the yoyos to the same proportion so i can compare them. I could CAD it but that would take more time.

My #1 source of info are properly taken photos of the profiles, sometimes it takes time to find photos of the profiles that are perfectly aligned and not warped due to perspective.

2 Likes

Absolutely, thats why i only limit this as “profile” analisys.

I would love to get my hands in the cross-section of all the yoyos to compare but thats kinda impossible lol.

1 Like