Why everybody wants Hydrangea yoyos?

I saw everybody looking for them and price of those throws is really big, is there something special about them?

2 Likes

There’s nothing special about them. I can’t speak for other people but I just personally like them. They just fit my personal ideal for what I want in a yoyo. I also love the players on the team. That’s about it really.

10 Likes

You seem to have a tendency to slightly over exaggerate the reality of the situation.

But then again, I am just one buddy, somebody, anybody, etc…

I have never even felt an urge to want a Hydrangea yo-yo.

But your question is about as inaccurate as if I asked, ‘Why doesn’t anybody want a Hydrangea yo-yo’?

2 Likes

I do see people listing Hydrangea yoyos as something they’d be interested in as a trade. My guess is that they’re quite rare and people are curious to try them out.

I don’t think I’d chase after Hydrangea yoyos, but I was fortunate to pick up a Hydrangea Magnolia in a bundle. Definitely not my favorite yoyo, but it’s really interesting in that it’s so different from anything else I own. It is super heavy – it feels heavier than it’s listed weight – and on a sleeper drops to the end of the string with a big thud and zero kickback. Gravity loves this thing. Definitely slower and more methodical, but also sleeps for days.

If you can acquire one through trade or at a reasonable price, I recommend you try it, but keep in mind that it may be a change-of-pace yoyo rather than your daily carry. At least this is my limited experience with one Hydrangea yoyo.

4 Likes

Descriptions like this are why I would pay a premium price for a Hydrangea.

2 Likes

After this description I want SS hydrangea too.

Fwiw the Magnolia is my absolute favorite throw and I don’t agree with that description at all. There’s a lot of kickback and it’s just a heavy and very rimweighted design. Meant to be abused during play and pushed hard. It’s very much a competition/performance oriented design. Their steel designs exist in the same realm of just trying to make yoyos for people to compete with.

They’re just very specific yoyos. If you look at one at a glance and know that the specs/design are exactly what you want you’ll be pleased.

If you don’t know exactly why a specific model is going to appeal to you in play it’s going to be a very expensive “just another yoyo.” If you want a yoyo that feels very similar in play to a Magnolia get a Silenus or Bettynova or something. I think that’s the thing with their designs is just that they’re very specific, and for people who want a very specific design they don’t really care what it costs.

I have zero interest in their bimetals, and I will never even consider playing a Haworthia or Berberis. I’m not interested in the brand as a whole, what I want are just a handful of very specific designs.

9 Likes

I think this is the root of many niche yo-yo price controversies.

1 Like

The Magnolia isn’t stainless steel; it is “a rare and ultra durable aluminum alloy called ANB79.”

It’s super weird. It looks like really plasticky chrome. Very bright and shiny, mirror-like. But unsurprisingly feels anything but cheap.

2 Likes

I say the hype is real. Just received the Lycoris, and it feels like it doesn’t have a speed limit. Its not “pingy” (tingy?) like a titanium but it moves like one.

Its also got the nicest looking finishes I’ve seen in a while. And its super comfortable. I think it hits all the marks. I think its well designed and well made.

11 Likes

@Takuro
if you ping it with a pen, it makes a very cool unique tone ping thing :sunglasses:

The Sharks Honor comes to mind as well

3 Likes

N12 is an actual legendary yoyo. Great design at an unreal price.

I feel like a lot of hype for Japanese, or boutique/expensive stuff in general, is the misconception of “higher price = better performing yoyo.”.

Hydrangea yoyos are extremely high quality designs, put out by an amazing designer and player, and they’re well worth the price to me personally. I just disagree with putting them on a pedestal just because they’re expensive/made in Japan. They’re not some kind of magical next-level design that will elevate your yoyo play. They’re still just spinny things that are gonna do whatever tricks you normally do with any other yoyo.

Magnolia is my favorite yoyo.

15 Likes

Are these the yo-yos that are/play real heavy? That’s the big reason I would be interested in one, 70+ grams or having it feel that heavy sounds lovely lol

2 Likes

No, not really. Magnolias are 67g, Quercus is 65g, and Lisianthus is 68g. All are 57x43, so on the bigger and more narrow side. Mags feel pretty powerful, but I wouldn’t say they play heavy. Just very rimweighted. Lisianthus feels the heaviest on the string, but it moves around more lightly and with greater ease.

They don’t feel slow or sluggish, they might feel a little reluctant if you’re not used to playing 67-68g yoyos, but they’re comfortable and easy enough to accelerate or redirect at any speed you want.

4 Likes

Ah okay I’m thinking of a different company then, didn’t you have a few in your collection that were 70+?

Yeah, you’re probably thinking of Turning Point. The St. Elmo is 2 grams lighter than the Magnolia and actively feels heavier and sluggish in comparison.

Their 70-80g bimetals definitely don’t play heavy though. They’ve got the extra weight you only really notice in just a heavier presence on the string and egregiously long spins. The monos in that range like the Kiwi/Outsider do play heavy tho.

4 Likes

Turning Point?
ordinal 1
Collapsar
Hades

3 Likes

Yep I was definitely thinking of Turning Point!

1 Like

N12 Shark Honor Specs

Weight 67.5 grams
Diameter 55mm
Width 44mm

This yoyo plays as good as my YYR Anomaly. I might have gotten lucky, but I treat it like my other throws and don’t take it apart constantly, my stock bearing and pads are great as well.

10 Likes