Why do you own duplicates of the same yo-yo?

I was thinking about this yesterday. Why own duplicates of the same yo-yo? Now I am in no way throwing shade, I currently have 2 models that I have in duplicate. My reasoning is that both are hard to find and I’m very forgetful and worry about losing one and not being able to get another easily(probably a dumb reason but mine). So I’m wondering why you guys and gals might own more than one of the same throw. Though it could be an interesting topic of conversation.

11 Likes

Silly as it sounds, I am sometimes in a “red yoyo” mood, sometimes in a “gold yoyo” mood, or a “raw yoyo” mood, etc. Having a favorite yoyo in different colors means I will play that yoyo more often because I’ll have colors for more moods I’m in.

19 Likes

I totally get that. Half of the reason I picked up a second Top Deck was to do a color swap so I could have a gray/pink combo and a cotton candy combo(blue/pink). That and god help me if I lost my first one😬.

4 Likes

I only have one duplicate yoyo.

One GTR that I absolutely abuse. One GTR that I keep mint.

I’d like to do the same for a few more of my favorites. Just hard to do it when there’s new yoyos to try and buy.

6 Likes

For throws I really like, I prefer having one I can keep nice and pretty, and then one I’m not afraid to toss around anywhere/can use as an EDC. The “pretty one” will often be a rare or nice colorway as well, like Saturday Market, while the daily driver will be a solid color. I think a large part of it is collectibility too. For example, I’m that guy with 10 Pano/Dioramas. It’s fun to collect all the colors I like, especially on throws I see as being “classics” later on down the line. When I was a kid I used to go through these threads on YYN and here on YYE and be in absolute awe of the people who had 3,4, 5+ Peaks, and realized, I can do that exact same thing now with other yoyos, before they get as expensive. It may sound pretentious but I like to think of myself as being the caretaker of these yoyos, and the curator of a collection/library of throws. Some of these things are legitimately works of art, and some of them are so rare that I know my specific throw is the “only known” mint one - stuff like that. I know they’re in good hands with me, and while some of the multiples are shelf queens, I definitely do play them ALL… they’re meant to be thrown after all.

13 Likes

I always have at least one 3A pair available, and having duplicates of your favorite yoyos that you either EDC or 5A with is pretty reasonable. Since there’s a chance those can get damaged pretty severely, beyond just getting a minor ding or scrape.

I have no interest in buying duplicates just for colorways, but I will say some releases definitely make it pretty hard to not want to pick up another.

5 Likes

Because I design them :joy: other people’s yoyos I don’t own duplicates of

The only duplicate of mine that I didn’t design is the hatrick, and only because one is stacked and powder coated.

8 Likes

I have ‘several’ Luftverk 000’s.

I figure that eventually if the Zoo ever decides to clone me then we can all have our own yo-yo.

5 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

3 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

1 Like

Sets of three or more are used in competition.
I’m surprised no one brought that up yet…

7 Likes

I’ve never actually competed and all of the comp players I follow are X-Div players. The 3A players I follow all bring 3 sets to comps though, which seemed a bit excessive but it makes sense. Can you add some insight onto why you’d even want a set of three yoyos for 1A at a competition?

ive only bought a duplicate of one yoyo, the Red Blood Cell. I bought the second because i HAD to have one in my pocket at all times, in addition to the one i kept on the shelf (and stilll played daily at home lol).

3 Likes

boom, big knot no time to untangle. now you’re down to 2 yoyos lol

2 Likes

I’ve got three Freehand Ones. Fell in love with it immediately and immediately stripped my 1st. Bought a blue and yellow to halfswap/paint, the stripped one is now a paint tester and l’ll give the other halfswap away, being a cheap throw helps.

May do this for another yoyo if I find one I REALLY like and it has good colours for a halfswap, makes it slightly more unique and personal but yoyos be expensive.

1 Like
  1. There are a couple of new releases that I thought were too good to risk only having one so I bought a backup in case of loss/damage (and lack of future availability).

2. On older releases: in one case I got a Summit, but then saw a color that I liked more so I got it with the thought to maybe sell the other. In another case that happened and unfortunately the color I liked more had more vibe than the color I liked less, so I couldn’t decide which to sell and still have both.

3. Then on a rare occasion, I can’t decide between two colors and get both (so far this has only been on plastics that aren’t too expensive).

3 Likes

Oh my god if that’s actually the answer I feel like an idiot for not just assuming that lol.

1 Like

I have 3 Silenus and 4 Top Deck because they are my best yoyos and those models may go extinct one day.

8 Likes

Feel you on the Top Deck, I can’t believe more haven’t been made. It’s amazing and lived up to the hype.

4 Likes

yeah i cant imagine trying to untangle some of the situations competition tech combos get into, id much sooner toss the whole thing and grab a fresh throw in the middle of a routine