Why do you own duplicates of the same yo-yo?

I have four General yo 5 stars for multiple reasons.

There were three releases. The original which has a polished finish and a very slightly smaller gap. The second release with the famous General yo blasted finish. And the final releases which were machined by Onedrop, they have a subtle blast on them.

Are the changes enough to warrant buying more than one? Not really unless you are a big nerd like me. The different colors and designs on them are also nice from a collector standpoint.

I also know how difficult it was to acquire these, so having multiples in essence guarantee me a lifetime supply in the even that a couple get list, stolen or damaged (which is unlikely but possible.)

10 Likes

This hobby is already so niche that I don’t take any of it for granted. If I like a particular design I’ll have a couple and I also like the special editions if its a throw that I enjoy and it complements my paly style. So many companies have come and gone, as they are typically ran by a single player and life can easily get in the way. Look at TMBR for instance, Colin is focused on other priorities. On a lager scale the Original Freehand mold broke hence the end of production. Dale wanted to retired and so YoYo Jam was over. Peak is another example, production moved from Canada and so those runs ended. I’m still hoping YYR does at least an anniversary run of Draupnir, but they have also moved their production to other shops, so would a new run live up to the legend. Life is short, play as many as you can.

13 Likes

Usually one polished and one blasted, otherwise because of trade fodder/ended up getting a deal on 2

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have ended up with seven Deep States. They’ve got different side effects and different strings on them and l try to pretend they play differently but there’s little difference. It’s a lot of money to spend on yoyos just to get a fancy paint job. That said I love every single one of them.

7 Likes

I have 2 Throwback Arcades, one orange and another half silver half black, both B grades. They are really cheap and play great. I half swapped them and am planning on giving the half silver half orange away eventually.

2 Likes

The only 2 yoyos i have a lot of duplicates in are g2 warthogs, and loop 720s. Both are my favorite yoyo for their respected play style so i enjoy trying to get different colors

4 Likes

Being able to have different setups is great. I like having one with a flat bearing and the other with some sort of concave bearing.

1 Like

I know right. I wish OD would take a break from deep states, fat tires and terrarians and do a run of top decks.

10 Likes

I wonder if they’re still having trouble sourcing aluminum at the quality they need domestically and so are running their best “bang for the buck” throws in the meantime. You can get more deepstates out of a bar stock than most yo-yos and Terrarians seem to sell consistently. Fat Tire is the odd one out but it was designed specifically by one of the co-owners (Shaun I think?) so maybe that’s playing into it.

2 Likes

That is exactly the reason. Heck sometimes even 3 sets of yoyos for 3A isn’t enough. There was one competitor at AP 2019 got his strings tangled on all 3 sets and lost like a whole minute just untangling the knots. He only finished untangling the string after the timer was up, meaning he had only done about half of his freestyle, very sad.

3 Likes

I don’t need duplicates. I can quit anytime I want.

6 Likes

I own tons of duplicates. I probably have more duplicates of yoyos than I have different kinds of yoyos. I just can’t feel safe playing with a yoyo that I don’t have a duplicate of unless it is really cheap and easily replaceable, so I always buy 2 of any yoyo that I have my eye on, just in case I really like the yoyo. I find that I’ll store the yoyo even if I really like the yoyo, until I find a duplicate (which often doesn’t happen since I get drawn to the newest and greatest yoyos), just because I don’t want to damage it. So I will always have a shelf queen, and the other would be for playing.

Other times, it’s just the colour that I like better, like my recent acquisition of the forest green and gold 7075 Mowl Surveillance when I already have 2 gold on gold ones.

The rest would be freebies from mystery boxes or some special event, like my 4-5 Replay Pros.

6 Likes

I have duplicates of a few wood fixies in different woods (3 @Glenacius_K KNacks, 3 Bloodcells, 2 Buttons, 2 Zipline Wood•Z, 2 TMBR PockeHts). I’m not sure if those technically qualify as a duplicates. Some fixies are nice to try in a variety of woods.

The only metal or plastics that I have duplicates of are:
• 2 RBCs for the colorways (red and EOS)
• around 12 Recess First Bases for a school club I used to run

3 Likes

Yeah, when you get a knot on stage, you need to be able to change out quickly, and have the exact same yoyo you’ve been practicing with.
I’ve been in four competitions, and done eight individual routines. In two of them, I got knots, and let me tell you, I was super glad I had the right backup yoyos.

6 Likes

Why not lmao its nice to have colors AND IF THEY DISCONTINUED THE model

2 Likes

Thats true i seen the competitors bring few of the same. I like to have maybe 2 of same throw but different colors most companies discontinue certain models

Yes exactly about the colors u said

1 Like

Only duplicate I own. And i only got it because i thought the first one was ruined. Then i was able to push the rings back in to place…and i only use the first one anymore.

So now I’ll probably try to sell the duplicate.

I have no place for two of the same kind. There’s too many other ones i want to try.

9 Likes

I have 10 YYF Loop360. I recently found 10 for $25 on eBay so I couldn’t pass it up. I opened two and the rest intended as gifts. Spreading the love.

5 Likes

I own a duplicate Honey Badger, and three duncan road runners for some reason. The HBs I understand, not that the road runner is a bad yo-yo.

2 Likes