Double up on my favorite throw?

So I’m still new at all this. I don’t know how the model drops and all that go. So far my R-type is my go to favorite throw. I have others I bring out but always seem to end up throwing it daily. If I like it that much, should I get a second one? Incase anything ever happens to it? I have a shutter I use as my beater. So I do tend to take care of it. Is that a model that once it’s gone it may be a while before I see another one or is there a chance it’s gonna stick around and get dropped in other color ways? Since I’m still new idk how long it’s been around or if there had been other runs of it or similar models. I’m just looking for some opinions from people who have been around and know how these things work. If you had just enough in the yoyo fund would u diversify or double up?
I will add that I did already get an IQ so I had something to graduate up to. As a beginner I’m extra careful with it tho. The bimetal won’t be leaving the house or played over hard ground anytime soon at all.

3 Likes

Hey man. I got 37 FHZ’s. 10 FH1’s. 8 Flying Squirells and three cases of Throw Monkeys

You do what makes you happy brother. alot of people have multiple of the same yoyo to get favorite colors.

At the end of the day. Have fun. Learn a trick.

7 Likes

Lol that’s kind of what I figured. 37 is nuts. There’s something im eyeing up on the bst and that’s gonna b my only designated yoyo money for a few weeks. So that’s y I’m thinking it’s gonna b one or the other. I’ve just noticed there’s a couple throws I have where I click back a few days later and that color way is suddenly sold out now. I don’t wanna kick myself later for not jumping on it now if I play it that much. I know yyf isn’t as exclusive with drops. That much I have learned about the yoyo market quickly. I appreciate the response.

Take it from someone who has tons of duplicates - I always wonder how many more new/different throws I could’ve tried if I had bought a new one instead of a duplicate of something I already have. My best advice to someone who doesn’t have too many yoyos yet is to buy/try new things so you know what you like/get the “lay of the land” of what’s out there. Cause I’ve bought new throws where I’m like, “man, I should’ve bought a duplicate of THIS ONE instead of the ones I did!” You can ALWAYS buy another R-type later very easily if you’re worried about it or if something does end up happening to it - if it’s not available at a store, it’ll be really easy to get on the BST. Try new things and go for the new one IMO!

5 Likes

Yes, and if it’s s different Colorway or “Special Edition” its not really a Duplicate :wink: There is also nothing wrong with having an extra MIB “Mint in Box”

3 Likes

“One to rock, one to stock.”

8 Likes

I have a simple solution to this conundrum. Not a financially sound solution, mind you. . .

Lol that’s the answer I want to go with but I’m using some self control this time. Since I just picked up a steel shutter, IQ, and monster all in the same order just over a week ago. My bike needs a clutch. It makes it easier to stay strong. Even my girlfriend knows my bike is my first love. It’s almost riding season in the northeast here

3 Likes

I have only one yoyo double up and is a yoyo that I use daily, when I started to see that it was getting badly beat up I decided to take a second one and have it as “the good one”, I barely play it but is there in case I finish to destroy the one I use.
It happened in the past to have a favourite yoyo that I used every single day until completely destroy it (I have pictures around about the incredible conditions I left it), it reached a point where even the halves where misaligned and the yoyo was ready to go in retirement, when I checked for another one was out of production and impossible to find around and then I just stayed with the bad feeling of it.

If you can and is a yoyo that you really use a lot have a back up that you barely touch (or if you do only in safe situations like a carpet at home), you will thanks yourself!

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with having a backup of your favorite throw, OP.

Megadeth rules!

6 Likes

I disagree with that statement, Ryan.

37 FHZ’s isn’t ‘Nuts’.

Matt is perfectly sane.

On the other hand… 38 would be Totally Nuts…

PS. By all means get a 2nd R-type. Easily one of the best yo-yos that people just don’t talk bout.

I really like the Titanium Luftverk 000… so,I have at least 4 of them(having trouble figuring out where I misplaced #5.). But 2 would have been sufficient. But as I saw people posting 000 yo-yos up for sale because they needed money, and helping, helped justify having more🙀

And…. The R-type comes in some pretty sweet colorways, why not have a couple, right?

4 Likes

I appreciate all the great responses. I think I already knew in my gut what direction I was gonna go but all the responses made me feel better about doing it. I’ve noticed the Rtype doesn’t get mentioned a lot and every time I see the name get dropped as a recommendation I cringe a little. Only for the fact that I like being able to click on it and see x amount available. After I have a second in the bag then I’ll be able to continue diversifying. Then I can find the next great throw I need multiples off. The cycle continues :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you like it a lot, one for carpet, one for concrete. I may keep both my Honey Badgers for this,

i guess the general fear i have is that some yoyos can often just up and run out and never get made again… When I can afford it I try to get duplicates if i really like it and and there are some still available.

1 Like

always, always buy at least one spare when you find one that suits you perfect. that’s why I have 8 ZGRT el Mijos and 17 ZGRT Januses.

5 Likes

Lmao you have 17 Januses?!?

I double up on the stuff that is harder to find. If I know that I can pretty easily find another on on the bst for less than retail I don’t double up on any of those.

There is no such thing as the ‘perfect’ yo-yo. What was ‘perfect’ yesterday may not necessarily be ‘perfect’ tomorrow. There will always be something better in the future. That is the human-condition.

6 Likes

i do. two of each of the 5 released colors (one for throwing, one for my collection), some custom mix and match combos that are tucked away in grab n go pouches with other color matched skilltoys, plus some prototypes and miss-tints. what can i say, i fell head over heals for the little guy when the final prototype hit my hands in mid December. it suits me perfect. I always have at least one in my pocket.

4 Likes

This is why I like everyone here. When the guys at work heard that I was buying and playing with any yo-yos they ragged on me a little. Said my priorities were bad lol I don’t have it nearly as bad as some of you that responded… yet. I’m clearly on my way and enjoying every minute of it. The way I see it, a yoyo addiction is healthier than some of the other addictions i could be getting into.

4 Likes