Tell me why I don’t need to look for a new yoyo

Ive got a shutter, ive got a deep state, deeper state. Two loop 720s, two raiders, couple metal magic yoyos, got a ditch and zodiac on the way in the mail. Plastic speedaholic, replay pro, arrow.

Why am i still spending time seeking out new yoyos to add to my collection?

Looking for two types of answers I suppose.

1. Tell me why what I currently have is good enough to support learning any trick I want.

2. Tell me a yoyo that would benefit my collection in regards to learning either specific tricks or just due to their supreme playability.

Thanks for your time in advance :slight_smile:

9 Likes

12 Likes

As for your two types of answers:

1. Go watch some pro yoyoer do a freestyle with a plastic, the most recent one I think is Evan Nagao — 3rd — 1A FINAL — 2023 PNWR YoYo Contest - YouTube

2. There are tons of yoyos that would stand unique in a collection, if you want to be a collector, don’t feel bad. I consult my collection of yoyos like a librarian consults a shelf of books, it’s fun!

11 Likes

With yoyos having personalities, and playing to moods/style…

You have a decent spread, but we are always looking for something that “clicks” better.

My Philosophy is; “How do I know if I like it, if I dont buy it and play with it?”

Warning- You may end up with a lot of yoyos with this idealism.

Warning- A new yoyo doesnt make you better. Only actual time playing does.

Maybe play more, look for new throws less?
I know I would be better if I followed this advice.

Have fun.

11 Likes

Seems like you need a 4A throw, another Shutter for 3A and a wooden fixed axle to round out the collection. I might also consider trying out some other metal types ie. Titanium, 7068, 7075, Steel, etc. just for fun.

Happy yoyo

10 Likes

There’s two types of yoyoers. The ones who are happy with three yoyos, and the normal ones who buy every yoyo that tickles their fancy

13 Likes

I bought a yoyo so good I would never need another one. I had a total of 3 at the time.

I now have 24 and I still mostly play with that one.

I still don’t need more.

Go figure.

13 Likes

I have a lot I will buy more there is nothing that will stop me…

9 Likes

I really like this hobby as to me it’s one part skill, one part collecting.

I love getting that new throw in the mail, tossing it around and feeling how it moves. It’s like test driving new cars to me, I get a thrill out of it.

I am trying to slow down though and only buy one a month or so. It’s very easy to get caught up in it.

In all reality - you don’t need a new one to do the fun things you want to do, it’s consumerism and it’s fun. It’s an exciting hobby and each yo-yo has its own character that’s fun to learn

13 Likes

Why would anyone on this forum try to convince you that you do not need to buy any more yo-yo’s?

Of course you need to buy more yo-yo’s. That is part of the human condition. :wink:

16 Likes

4a throw will def be on the list!

7 Likes

YoYo’s you need:
C3 Speedaholic FX
Duncan Grasshapper GTX
Duncan Yoshicuda X

The extra powerful spin of these throws make it possible to learn harder yoyo tricks.

5 Likes

Really nearly any full size hybrid or bimetal will do the job and give you that bit of extra spin time that helps learn more in a single session and tolerate mistakes better.

7 Likes

probably an outlier atlas or canyon

I am going to aggressively search for these yoyos on the bst now

2 Likes

Several things we need context for to advise you:

• Current Skill level
  • Tricks of interest/progression interest.

Response to your requests:

1. No what you have is not good enough by my definition. This is rooted in preference.
  2. Go buy a bunch of Turning Point, Yoyorecreation, C3, Japan Technologies.

Reality of the information above:
Will they make you a better player?

• nope

Will you finally hit that trick?

• maybe, has nothing to do with the yo-yo typically.

Now, if you want more yo-yo’s then go for it! Picking up and getting excited for new releases is just as much of this hobby as learning tricks or going to contests.

12 Likes

You need a 70g+ heavy bimetal and you’re gonna realize you were blind before but now you can see!

2 Likes

An honest answer you don’t need more yo-yos. (That was painful to write)

Look at what you have consider if you have a undersized, full sized and oversized yoyo. A mini and smaller are cool but hard and unless you have the skill will just sit on a shelf. (Using a tiny yoyo snd landing things can help improve accuracy)

Consider if you have an H shape an O shape and a V shape maybe a few other shapes as well. Have a mono metal, bi metal hybrid snd plastic. Plastic will force you to throw proper cause it’s not gonna have the power as a metal which helps refine tricks. Also cheaper plastic can be a beater less worry about dings or whatever.

A slim line or challenge yoyo is hard and discouraging but can help refine skills further. A wide yoyo can help learning new tricks easier.

In the end with all that said… 1 yoyo of each play style your interested in is all you need. No yoyo you get needs to be super fancy or expensive. A cheap plastic yoyo will get it done just as well as an expensive tri metal you just have to put more work in to get there.

4 Likes

In my experience, theres 3 types of people:

People who buy yoyos to throw. They’re typically really good and the yoyo matters very little. Yoyos are readily available for them to review or play with so they care much less about damaging them or just acquiring them in general. They could probably message a company and have one sent to them if they wanted to.

People who buy yoyos to collect. They’re typically less proficient in actually throwing them, but they find yoyos beautiful artpieces and collect them as you would a painting or vintage toys (which they are). These people tend to annoy some, but are essential in the community as they’ll provide an older discontinued yoyo in mint condition when nobody else has one.

People who play and collect. They have yoyos that they beat up and throw and others that they rarely bring out for play. Probably most people (Im in this category). I like keeping some yoyos pristine for collection or for future play and some that i beat the crap out of as i learn.

If you’re person 1, don’t buy more. You’re fine. If you’re 2 or 3, have at it mate :+1:

11 Likes

Hey man, let me tell you, I need another Yoyo like I need a hole in my head. But I’ll be damned if I’m not looking at times. It’s a battle, good news, though. This is our life, and thankfully, we spend it playing with this toy that causes us joy. Get a yoyo, bro! We won’t be able to someday!

8 Likes