Tell me why I don’t need to look for a new yoyo

Establish a hobby budget and stick to it, more or less. I have way too many yo-yos, but I look at them and imagine what my yo-yo obsession probably kept me from doing that would cost even more.
The nice thing about yo-yos is that all your costs are up front, no green fees or dock fees or 15k tune ups or tires or membership fees or travel costs. A hundred strings and a new bearing (or wood axle sleeve :wink:) doesn’t set you back much.

13 Likes

Id say im not full on beginner but im not as good as i should be. I cant hit the tricks i know every time.

Boingy, brain scramble, double or nothing, trapeze, eli hops, looping (still working on non dom), one.5 mount, one.5 side mount.

Suggestions on next tricks to target?

4 Likes

I have WAY more yoyos than I need. My family members do the eye roll when I receive a new one. As such, I check the mailbox early when I am expecting a new one and try to get it into my office before they notice. (I guess that makes me a yoyo hoarder.) Oh well.

Currently, I’m into crystal clear throws. I have two now and a pre-order with Mazaltop.

Yoyos are cool, don’t a whole lot and are beautiful and good for my soul…

12 Likes

Start making your progress into the wrist mount and attempting some of the Mr. Matio tutorials. They look complex, however most things build on basic concepts and as long as you break it down into small parts you’ll be advancing your play pretty quickly. Just make sure you have your core essential tricks down since they are the building blocks of bigger tricks.

6 Likes

I have both Duncans, mssg me for details if you want to work something out.

I agree w you about wrist mount but based on OPs trick set they ain’t ready for mrmatio tuts yet unless they like to really challenge themselves and OP — you’re at a good point to do kamikaze maybe but you gotta learn magic drop first. I don’t know but you should start trying the trick a week!

1 Like

I am an advocate of just dropping yourself into tech, mainly because much of the tech movement is undercuts, hops and rolls, the occasional string pluck. It looks hard, but unless its a nuanced slack or hook, you are usually fine to learn it as a slow pace. It will also expand the library of mounts much quicker.

4 Likes

You’re not wrong and I think that is a good thing to advocate for. I just know because I’m still in my first year of playing Yoyo and have been down this path recently that those will be a huge step up in difficulty from what OP knows already and wanted to give a cautionary note to that effect. I also don’t want to discourage op from trying them, they should know that it will be a grind tho like none of the mrmatio tuts are easy and there is no voice which can also be difficult for some to get used to.

2 Likes

If you get a Hydrogen Crash personally I think that that will be the last bimetal you ever want or need. Absurd power and speed at a relatively reasonabke price. Or the Plasma Crash once it drops because that will have a blasted texture which would make it better for grinds. Cheatcode if you specifically want to learn fingerspins (Speedaholic FX if you want something that is playable too). Capstan '22 for a mini yo that has performance feel.

Also there’s no shame in buying as many yos as you please so long as you can keep the lights on in your house and take care of what you need. It’s only when it negatively impacts your ability to be a mature adult that you shouldn’t buy a yo

5 Likes

I do like my plastic speedaholic so i bet id enjoy the c3 hydrogen crash. Ill keep an eye on BST for a few weeks and if i dont see one ill probably just buy my first (slightly) over $100 yoyo

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t have a huge collection of yoyos relative to most throwers in the community, I would advise you to be responsible and price-minded when choosing yoyos to buy, as well as to avoid getting caught up in heavy hype.

5 Likes

I like the YYE trick ladder and keep an eye on the Trick-a-week topic for anything that catches my eye and seems attainable (probably one every couple-three months).

As to why not to spend too much time hoarding throws of any price: I find that I waste a lot of time trying the tricks I already know on different yoyos just to see how they feel or to give each one play time to attempt to justify the purchases. Time that would be better spent sticking with one yoyo and learning more. I wish I could control the hoarding impulse and follow the aforementioned advice, but it’s a struggle (as we all know).

5 Likes

MORE, MORE, MOREE!

Always buy more.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite things to do. I am fascinated by the subtle differences and how they can suggest a different intro/emphasis/outro to a trick.

4 Likes

I’m not to judge how many yo-yo models are appropriate, but …

Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility ['lo av da-'mi-nish-in 'märi-nal**yu-ti-la-tê] An economic law that states that, all else being equal, as consumption increases, the satisfaction derived from each additional unit decreases.

6 Likes

As long as yo-yos are measured in tenths of a millimeter/gram, classified by vague shape categories and evaluated based on highly subjective qualities like “float”, this law does not threaten my buying habits.

4 Likes

You forget the law of “ohh a pretty new color” where as some will buy the same exact thing over and over regardless as long as the new iteration appears to have some sort of different value. This can be observed in cerakote craze that while cool has many people buying a new yoyo that’s the same as a yoyo they have with a less spectacular finish. Splashes can also be used for this affect.

5 Likes

I could give you this from a whole different angle. There are hunters who have many rifles for many different purposes and there are those who’ve used the same 1-2 rifles their whole life. Typically the one who’s used the fewer rifles will be far more proficient in any situation than the other type can be with any “1” of their firearms. Just an example. That doesn’t mean a person who is just plain good at shooting can’t pick up “any firearm at all” and outshoot every person at the range. There are always those who accel far above us mere mortals and perform feats that seem magical. But that’s surly not me. :grin:

3 Likes

Regarding Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility, I am not claiming to know an exact number or that everyone’s number is the same, yes there may be some significant yoyo technology breakthrough like … a new color…, but there is some truth to it.

5 Likes

So what did you end up getting? :joy::joy:

1 Like