Why two YoYo's?

I love YoYoing, but I never understood what the purpose of owning two of the same YoYo would be. I suppose if you want a different colorway, but I see people double-up on 60 dollar YoYo’s, is that really just for the colorway?

I have one yoyo in particular, the AntiYo YWET, that I have 9 of them right now. For me it is my favorite yoyo. They are not made anymore, and there were several versions of them made and different colors. So being my favorite it’s partly collecting them, and I also have them all setup differently.

I also have a number of No Jives. Same principal, they’re all setup differently, and in part its a collection.

I have 9 or 10 of the YoYoJam Hitman model and 3 DM II’s. All different colors, some very unique - I’m a sucker for blue with gold rims. Some have different bearing set up, and one is a hybrid response. I also have a number of TK No-Jives and BC models as well, different colors/designs and set up differently. At one time I had 2 HSPIN G&E 4 black lilies, set up with different bearings. Decided to keep just one. Some things are just worth collecting to me.

For most people I imagine it is mainly collecting though for 3a and 2a people usually want two of the same yoyo. If you compete in contests then some people like to have spares of their main yoyo.

^ Beat me to it.

I have a ton of multiples, of a lot of throws, both expensive and inexpensive. These are some of the reasons I might have more than one of the same throw.

1. One to play, one to collect and keep in mint condition.
  2. A new, different, or better colorway was released, so I bought another one.
  3. It was polished, now it’s released blasted, wow, got to have that one too.
  4. Look, this version is 7075, so I have to see what that’s like.
  5. Oh, and it’s a special edition uniquely engraved version, gotta cop that one.
  6. I already have that colorway, but this guy’s splash on the BST looks better. Now that the BST one came in the mail, I like them both, and can’t decide which one to sell. Oh well, I’ll keep both. Why not?
  7. They were gifted, or won in a contest or a raffle. The more, the merrier.

This does not apply to me, but:
Some people play 3A/2A, and they need two yo-yos to play.

By the way, the more inexpensive the yo-yo, the easier it is to get every single version you want. And, YoyoFactory has been the master at selling multiples. All others take note. They don’t usually release that YoyoExpert color one in the first run, so they get me for at least two of every single model. I’ve been tricked. :wink: It takes some talent with colorways to get people coming out of their wallet for the same yo-yo.

I think a perfect example is my Shutter collection. I won a prize Shutter. I have to have the three YoyoExpert colored ones. One is acid wash, one is splashed and one is half/half. How do you just choose one? Then, there’s polished rim Shutter, USA Shutter, Camo Hunter Edition Shutter, Galaxy Shutters. Oh, and let’s not forget the highly collectible Jason Lee Shutter, and Canon camera Shutters. Oh, and the great colors on the solids, that pink is so sick. Then they tweaked the design and made a 7075 in Shu-ta, so I had to have that too. I still need a razor engraved Shutter. Oh, and let’s not forget unengraved Shutter (or less engraved with no Shutter logos). You get the gist.

The answer is: Crazy for yo-yo! ;D

2 Likes

simply one will never be enough :smiley:

I still haven’t really pulled the trigger on having a duplicate but I can see where one would want one. In competition, you’d want a backup of the same throw in case you snag up on your performance.

Ok so I do have a few multiples mainly being all 3 colors on the Big Dipper (Half-swapping and having 3 different colors) and a couple Replay Pros.

Not sure if I would count my G2 Banshees as multiples as there’s slight differences between each piece I have (I have the V1, V2, and V3…and plan on getting a production run version when they drop).

Because 3A is fun.